Sign in to follow this  
Huston

Corey Davis

Huston   

Corey Davis, WR

2019 Cap Hit: $6.926M

2018 Stats: 65 catches on 112 targets (58.0%), 891 yards, 4 touchdowns, 13.7 YPC

Size/Speed: 6’-3”, 209 lbs

Corey Davis led the Titans in virtually every receiving category, including targets, catches, yards, touchdowns, and yards per reception. He was clearly the best and most consistent target for Marcus Mariota and Blaine Gabbert throughout the season. After a lot of hand wringing from the fan base over the treatment of his hamstrings during training camp and preseason, he was one of just three Titans players on offense to start all 16 games (Ben Jones and Josh Kline were the other two).

Davis’ raw stats aren’t great for a WR1, but they also aren’t terrible. His 891 yards ranked 20th among NFL receivers which is actually pretty impressive when you consider he played on the league’s 29th ranked passing offense. If you take a look at his receiving yards per team passing attempts, his production jumps up to 15th among all receivers. Similarly, PFF’s Yards Per Route Run statistic ranks Davis 20th in the NFL.

Those efficiency stats are important because the environment in which Davis played in 2018 was far from ideal. Blaine Gabbert accounted for almost a quarter of the team’s total pass attempts. When Marcus Mariota was in the game he was often banged up.

Regardless of who was throwing the passes, the Titans weren’t throwing the ball much last season. They finished 31st in pass attempts at 437, a whopping 252 throws behind the league-leading Steelers. The league average was 552 attempts, over 25% more than the Titans total. If Davis could have maintained the same efficiency on a league average passing offense, he would have finished with 1,125 yards.

In addition to the low volume of the passing offense and the questionable effectiveness of the quarterbacks throwing the ball, Davis also dealt with extra attention from opposing defenses all season as the Titans clear top option. With Delanie Walker injured and Rishard Matthews quitting after three games, there was no threatening secondary option in the receiving corps to help draw coverage away from 84 and that was apparent on tape all season. Opponents would regularly roll coverage to his side of the field or track him with their best corner. To me, Davis is currently a top 15 NFL wide receiver with the potential to climb higher as the Titans offense develops around him.

abc2330   

Absolutely ridiculous that our QB requires him to have over 3 yards of separation before throwing the ball his way.  Get this guy a QB for fuck's sake.

northern-illinois-western-michigan-football-e388077ca90a6991.jpg

images (2).jpeg

philadelphia-eagles-v-tennessee-titans-ec45ffe1a93ab2e3.jpg

Edited by abc2330

I would love to see him work on his release. Teams pressed and bracketed him and he was shut down. A lot of that has to do with the fact we didn’t have a single other threat in the passing game. Still, he has the frame and speed to dominate. 

ABC is obviously shtick, but he has a point about just throwing this guy the ball. I remember a catch he made against the Colts after he came back where he laid out over the middle. I cringed a bit thinking about him staying healthy. It was an insane catch where he fully laid out over the middle. It reminded me somewhat of tapes ive seen of Michael Irving. 

Give him the Hopkins route tree with a bit more deep middle. The guy is a stud who needs to be fed. Give him 10 targets a game no matter the coverage. That’s one of my biggest gripes with MM besides the fact he sucks a lot is that he won’t just put the ball up to his weapon. Throw the guy the ball unless it’s double coverage and let him make a play. He has the frame to draw a ton of PI’s and win 50-50 balls. 

Edited by IsntLifeFunny

abc2330   
8 hours ago, titanruss said:

Who the fuck do you think threw him the ball in those last two pics?

Right, he took advantage of his special skill set like 3 times!! Awesome !! And several of those were just shitty passes that Davis adjusted to

47 minutes ago, abc2330 said:

Right, he took advantage of his special skill set like 3 times!! Awesome !! And several of those were just shitty passes that Davis adjusted to

If I was a transmission I would say left off the shtick a little. 

abc2330   
1 hour ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

I would love to see him work on his release. Teams pressed and bracketed him and he was shut down. A lot of that has to do with the fact we didn’t have a single other threat in the passing game. Still, he has the frame and speed to dominate. 

ABC is obviously shtick, but he has a point about just throwing this guy the ball. I remember a catch he made against the Colts after he came back where he laid out over the middle. I cringed a bit thinking about him staying healthy. It was an insane catch where he fully laid out over the middle. It reminded me somewhat of tapes ive seen of Michael Irving. 

Give him the Hopkins route tree with a bit more deep middle. The guy is a stud who needs to be fed. Give him 10 targets a game no matter the coverage. That’s one of my biggest gripes with MM besides the fact he sucks a lot is that he won’t just put the ball up to his weapon. Throw the guy the ball unless it’s double coverage and let him make a play. He has the frame to draw a ton of PI’s and win 50-50 balls. 

Was he really shut down, or were teams just taking away the easy routes that Mariota was comfortable hitting?  If a receiver can only run a limited route tree because of the QB, then even every single one will be non-factors.

Just now, abc2330 said:

Was he really shut down, or were teams just taking away the easy routes that Mariota was comfortable hitting?  If a receiver can only run a limited route tree because of the QB, then even every single one will be non-factors.

That’s not how the Shanny/Lafluer offense works. Hey young buck take a break. Your point is made. 

abc2330   
7 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

That’s not how the Shanny/Lafluer offense works. Hey young buck take a break. Your point is made. 

I think at the point where Henry wildcat plays outnumbered the RPOs , this passing offense was stripped down to the bare minimum and as little pressure as possible was put on the QB .  Which would reflect on what the receivers were able to do as well.

1 minute ago, abc2330 said:

I think at the point where Henry wildcat plays outnumbered the RPOs , this passing offense was stripped down to the bare minimum and as little pressure as possible was put on the QB .  Which would reflect on what the receivers were able to do as well.

That wasn’t your original point. Of course the offense was stripped down. Mariota was hurt in game 1. 

Come back to talking football. 

The offense is designed as a timing offense. There’s no part of it where Daviswas limited by the design. He was limited by the fact Mariota was hurt and defenses were bracketing him (they rarely doubled him because they didn’t respect Mariota).