Derrick Morgan to Test the Market

tgo

14 hours ago, luvyablue256 said:

Morgan never had the burst to do anything on the outside. He was a classic Fisher misevaluation. Good enough to keep a spot, not good enough to really make an impact. 

He got marginally better when moved to OLB from DE. 

He was a solid player. I appreciate the fact he consistently gave it everything he had on every down. He earned his money. Best of luck to him and his family. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Morgan sounds like a guy that knows he isn't getting offered a contract at the Titans.

He didnt look like the freak at any point I promise you that. 

I don't care who we sign, I want them to draft an edge player in round 1.

14 hours ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

We really need a bigger body that can hold up against the run, Iowa Edge Anthony Nelson is a guy that intrigues me in the 2nd round, not the most explosive guy speed wise but very long/powerful, wins with power/hand use.

If we aren’t looking for explosiveness then sign a guy and tell Finch to add 15 pounds.  You pretty much perfectly described him. 

8 hours ago, reo said:

Never in his life did he look like the Freak. That's fan hype.

He was always billed as a hard worker with good technique. He never had the burst.

Iirc Graham was the guy with burst in that draft class.

He had burst, even after the injury. He never had any bend to hit the angle on the speed rush. Tackles could just push him past if the QB released or stepped up. He had 8 1/2 sacks a year ago (I think, maybe it was 2016). Most of it was speed, hands, and hard work. I don’t recall him ever getting a full on bull rush sack. 

7 hours ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

He had burst, even after the injury. He never had any bend to hit the angle on the speed rush. Tackles could just push him past if the QB released or stepped up. He had 8 1/2 sacks a year ago (I think, maybe it was 2016). Most of it was speed, hands, and hard work. I don’t recall him ever getting a full on bull rush sack. 

I was surprised cause I remember reading about Frank Clark the year he was drafted & Morgan actually had a very high SPARQ score, which measures all around athleticism. His 40 wasn't good, it was high 4.7's, but he had very good jumps & agility drills. I believe his vertical was 36 &  broad jumped close to 10 feet, which is no joke for a guy almost 270. He also had very impressive 3 cone & shuttle scores. The key to was his length, he had super long arms & big hands. 

When you look at the combine numbers his career really does make sense. He was a huge pressure guy, he was always right up there with pressures, but he just didn't convert many to sacks. It seemed like he was always a hair away, he just wasn't quite fast enough. I remember I'd watch so many games & it seemed like he'd be in the backfield all game but just couldn't convert. 

Morgan was a good player up until 2017 though. Certainly underrated by the fan base. In 2015 & '16 he & Orakpo were a very good edge duo. Neither was a star but not many teams had 2 quality guys like we did. We had a good pass rush along with Casey & Klug. Our secondary was just so bad though. 

Edited by Face

50 minutes ago, japan said:

Safe to say that if they are letting Morgan know that they aren't going to pay him much that they plan to go after one of these big FA rushers.

Well. Safe to say they're letting him walk.

On 2/1/2019 at 3:46 PM, headhunter said:

Polite - small and takes plays off.

Burns - Skinny

Sweat - Motivation/Doesnt love football

Who else is there?

I don't keep up with college ball much so I thought you were describing Morgan, lol. If Morgan is willing to take a hometown pay cut, he still would be good in our rotation. Injury definitely limited his production last year. That said it's time for Evans to shine.

Edited by freakingeek

1 hour ago, Soxcat said:

Morgan had 7.5 and 9.0 sacks in 2016 and 2017.  He has also been good at getting pressure on the QB even when he doesn't get sacks.  Problem is injury and age might have slowed him down to where he is only a JAG now.  I'd still bring him back if he doesn't get a deal above $5 mil as depth and leadership.  We will probably go into the season in decent shape but still only be one injury away from having to move Evans to OLB.  

Case in point. I already said he got marginally better when they took his hand out of the ground.