Sign in to follow this  
JakePA_Titan

Mavericks trade for Porzingis

45 minutes ago, JakePA_Titan said:

A perfect example of how super teams arent hurting the NBA.

So let's keep it real. 

The KG, Pierce, and Allen Celtics only won one title. They should be considered a super team because they made two and won one just because they signed KG and Ray in FA

It hurts the overall competitive equity of the league though. What are the chances of a 3-8 seed making it to the finals? Really low. When was the last time there was a surprise upset in the nba playoffs? I can’t think of one off the top of my head. Their have been close owns but rarely is it actually pulled off. Everyone is going to tune into the big match ups which is good for the NBA but the matchups before that are boring and pointless. 

I dont necessary hate super teams teams I think it just makes a long nba season boring and mainly meaningless.

It just has to do with how many elite players there are and how lopsided the talent is compared to their competition. Of course the Warriors are a super team.

It's that way currently, always was and will always be that way, NBA is built on dynasties and then those grow even stronger when FAs start coming

40 minutes ago, CaliTitan3518 said:

It hurts the overall competitive equity of the league though. What are the chances of a 3-8 seed making it to the finals? Really low. When was the last time there was a surprise upset in the nba playoffs? I can’t think of one off the top of my head. Their have been close owns but rarely is it actually pulled off. Everyone is going to tune into the big match ups which is good for the NBA but the matchups before that are boring and pointless. 

I dont necessary hate super teams teams I think it just makes a long nba season boring and mainly meaningless.

This. The only basketball worth watching is the 2nd round and later in the playoffs.

Games will be fun to watch occasionally obviously but for the most part you already know the results

Edited by wiscotitansfan

Bink   
1 hour ago, CaliTitan3518 said:

Because I feel a super team is a team that is constructed in an unfair manner to the league. That’s why I think super teams are bad for the competitive equity of the league. If all stars elect to go to a group of teams there isn’t enough talent for the rest of the league to compete with those teams. 

You don’t think super teams are bad for the NBA because you think they are something completely different than me. Which is fine it just makes for a pointless discussion between us. The point we try to argue won’t matter because we are looking at it completely differently.

I might have missed something in this thread because I didn't read everything, but I am with Jake on this one in a sense. The concept of a super team is stupid--elite teams are formed all kinds of ways in sports. I could agree with you that super teams are bad for the league from a competitive equity standpoint, but competitive equity isn't a thing in the NBA. Golden State was able to build the team they have mostly through the draft, but a big part of it is that they have better organizational culture, a better front office, and are better planners than the rest of the teams. 

Should the Grizzlies have some kind of advantage because they have a shitty owner? 

Like, I look at what LeBron was able to do, what Golden State was able to do, and I find it impressive. And I think any ownership group that cries about free agents need to do better. 

The reality is if Harden, Westbrook, and Durant stayed together and started shitting on other teams people would hate on them and find some other label to throw at them. 

But OKC even losing two of those guys were still able to remain competitive and get a Paul George type player to commit to their team. 

There have always been super teams in the NBA. We just hear about it a lot more and are conditioned to feel a bit more outraged. 

Hell, when I think about unfair, I actually think about the Lakers and the Chris Paul trade that was essentially vetoed because other owners wanted to cry about it. 

Good teams are always going to form. The current way they are being formed has put more agency in the hands of the players than ever before. I like that. I am more engaged with the NBA now than ever. I want to see what kind of team LeBron forms because that adds an element to his greatness. 

And right now the NBA is dominating headlines. Has the NBA ever had this much buzz during Super Bowl weekend? 

5 hours ago, JakePA_Titan said:

They weren't because Harden had not yet developed into what he is now. 2 superstars dont make a super team. But if they still had all three in current form, everyone would say they are.

You're actually right for once, bravo. Harden has improved basically every single year of his career. OKC gave up on him way too early.

Both Harden and Durant are among the top 5 players in the NBA right now, hands down. If they were both on the same team, that's scary.

If OKC had found a way to keep both of them, they would be like LeBron and Wade in Miami. That would make Russ the Chris Bosh of that Big 3.