AussieTitanFan08

Ravens to allow Za'Darius Smith to test his value in FA

Recommended Posts

Certainly gaining picks instead of losing picks is a viable strategy considering the draft is a crap shoot so upping the odds with more picks can help.  Still, cherry picking what we could have done with 20-20 hindsight is ridiculous.  Yea, 31 teams could have had Brady.  Conklin ended up getting hurt.  But he was also an all-pro his rookie year.  Decker has been decent (plays LT) but he has had some injuries as well.  As a LT Decker isn't even in the same stadium as someone like Lewan either.  Who knows how he plays RT.  I'd assume he would be OK. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, charleytolar said:

Not to open old wounds or anything, but Thuney was available to us with the 3rd Round pick we had given up for Conklin.  Instead we scooped up Sebastian Tretola in the 6th Round. Just sayin'... still.

 

We are 5-6 quality players away from being a significantly better team!

Tolar continues to beat the no-trade drum.  Hysterical.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, charleytolar said:

...

I'm more of a trade-down thinker. No matter where you pick, there's almost always worse and better players than the one you got. Being judicious in your selection (we've whiffed on quite a few) and having extra shots (not since the trade-down with the Rams-- they're in the Super Bowl and we're not) would be my modus most of the time beyond standing pat.

Notice the strangeness of this argument.  The Rams traded DOWN to get Goff doing exactly what you said you wouldn't do and they are in the SB and we are not.  We had the extra picks, they did not, and they are in the SB. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Soxcat said:

Notice the strangeness of this argument.  The Rams traded DOWN to get Goff doing exactly what you said you wouldn't do and they are in the SB and we are not.  We had the extra picks, they did not, and they are in the SB. 

Goff is not the reason they are in the Super Bowl but he is a capable QB. It was just an ironic observation.

Edited by charleytolar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, japan said:

Tolar continues to beat the no-trade drum.  Hysterical.

Trade UP judiciously. Trade down more freely. More picks is better. The hysteria is in not recognizing that playing the odds is smarter. Why is it hysterical? The 5-6 players we are shy is represented by the good picks we've give up to target certain people.

 

If you are not allowed to retroactively cherry-pick better choices, neither are you allowed to shut your eyes and ears and just say "we could not have done better." 

Edited by charleytolar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, charleytolar said:

Trade UP judiciously. Trade down more freely. More picks is better. The hysteria is in not recognizing that playing the odds is smarter. Why is it hysterical? The 5-6 players we are shy is represented by the good picks we've give up to target certain people.

 

If you are not allowed to retroactively cherry-pick better choices, neither are you allowed to shut your eyes and ears and just say "we could not have done better." 

Or the great picks we’ve made to get 40 damn good players. If we were honestly 5-6 players shy of a complete team we would be in the SB

 

we are more 9-10 players shy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Kyle021 said:

Or the great picks we’ve made to get 40 damn good players. If we were honestly 5-6 players shy of a complete team we would be in the SB

 

we are more 9-10 players shy

Who knows... but I do know that we gave up shots at 5-6 players who could have been solid contributors by trading that draft slot away. At any selection, there are almost always better players taken later-- never mind the Tom Brady Exception-- which proves the Rule.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Soxcat said:

Notice the strangeness of this argument.  The Rams traded DOWN to get Goff doing exactly what you said you wouldn't do and they are in the SB and we are not.  We had the extra picks, they did not, and they are in the SB. 

Goff didn't get them to the Superbowl. That team is stacked. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9-10 players shy?  That is ridiculous.  Ignoring QB (which is something the Rams have we don't) we maybe need a WR and edge pass rusher to be right in the thick of things.   So that amounts to three top level players and we are in business.  Smaller upgrades to the interior of the OL and interior of the DL would help as well.   A TE would really help with Walker's injury/age and Smith's injury and development.  Point here is we need real good players in that short list.  Not Jags.  That is why a top level TE who really upgrades the position long term has to be in discussion.  WR as well.  Edge guy is always something to consider. 

 

So, if we aren't drafting a QB Edge, WR, TE or maybe stud interior guy make the most sense.  BPA at any of those positions will help this team.  Getting a gem mid or late draft is also something SB teams often get to put them over the edge (like getting guys like Casey or Byard in the 3rd). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SleepingTitan said:

Goff didn't get them to the Superbowl. That team is stacked. 

The Rams with Mariota is not a SB team this year.  Good but not that good. 

 

7 minutes ago, charleytolar said:

Who knows... but I do know that we gave up shots at 5-6 players who could have been solid contributors by trading that draft slot away. At any selection, there are almost always better players taken later-- never mind the Tom Brady Exception-- which proves the Rule.

OK, one last time.  We traded the #1 pick in the draft for a bunch of picks including the pick we used to get Davis (yes, we had two 1st round picks that next year).  We had three 2nd round picks that year we made the deal.  Yet, that is the year we made the deal for Conklin.  We had 10 draft picks that year.  7 picks in the first 5 rounds.

 

The next year, the year where the horrid Conklin pick killed us, we had 5 picks in the first 5 rounds including two first round picks and two 3rd round picks.  We took Davis, Jackson, Taylor, Smith and Brown with those 5 picks.  Yea, we did OK.  If you want to argue we should have taken an OG instead of Taylor or something go ahead.  Otherwise get your head out of your anus and stop the madness. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

The Rams with Mariota is not a SB team this year.  Good but not that good. 

 

OK, one last time.  We traded the #1 pick in the draft for a bunch of picks including the pick we used to get Davis (yes, we had two 1st round picks that next year).  We had three 2nd round picks that year we made the deal.  Yet, that is the year we made the deal for Conklin.  We had 10 draft picks that year.  7 picks in the first 5 rounds.

 

The next year, the year where the horrid Conklin pick killed us, we had 5 picks in the first 5 rounds including two first round picks and two 3rd round picks.  We took Davis, Jackson, Taylor, Smith and Brown with those 5 picks.  Yea, we did OK.  If you want to argue we should have taken an OG instead of Taylor or something go ahead.  Otherwise get your head out of your anus and stop the madness. 

 

 

I can certainly concede that Conklin was a reach. That's apparent. Now, if he becomes a Pro Bowler again next year, we'll see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Soxcat said:

The Rams with Mariota is not a SB team this year.  Good but not that good. 

 

OK, one last time.  We traded the #1 pick in the draft for a bunch of picks including the pick we used to get Davis (yes, we had two 1st round picks that next year).  We had three 2nd round picks that year we made the deal.  Yet, that is the year we made the deal for Conklin.  We had 10 draft picks that year.  7 picks in the first 5 rounds.

 

The next year, the year where the horrid Conklin pick killed us, we had 5 picks in the first 5 rounds including two first round picks and two 3rd round picks.  We took Davis, Jackson, Taylor, Smith and Brown with those 5 picks.  Yea, we did OK.  If you want to argue we should have taken an OG instead of Taylor or something go ahead.  Otherwise get your head out of your anus and stop the madness. 

 

 

It's a two-prong problem: you gotta have enough picks to make a difference (... you can use even more when you have a crappy roster. Remember Ruston Webster and the fact that we had the 1-1 overall draft slot still in 2016 after holding down 1-2 in 2015?) and then you have to also choose wisely.

 

We gave up a 3 and in 2016 and a 2 in 2017 to move up seven spots for Conklin in 2016. We had already give up a 4 in 2016 in the Goff trade. We blew our original 2nd Rounder with Kevin Dudd. Austin Johnson has been "meh"; Derrick Henry was not going to be a Titan after December... until December rolled around. No 4th round pick.

 

In short, we compromised our Goff haul to target Conklin, on whom the jury is seriously deadlocked. Evans and Landry are nice pieces but I bet there were other nice pieces out there instead (Calvin Ridley among them instead of Evans and Jesse Bates instead of Landry.... plus the 3rd and 4th round sacrificed picks to boot).

 

Madness? We have, still, a weak roster and need a few more players that we might now have had we played our hand differently. Just having the picks is not the answer; you have to make them count. Sorry if it hurts!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, charleytolar said:

It's a two-prong problem: you gotta have enough picks to make a difference (... you can use even more when you have a crappy roster. Remember Ruston Webster and the fact that we had the 1-1 overall draft slot still in 2016 after holding down 1-2 in 2015?) and then you have to also choose wisely.

 

We gave up a 3 and in 2016 and a 2 in 2017 to move up seven spots for Conklin in 2016. We had already give up a 4 in 2016 in the Goff trade. We blew our original 2nd Rounder with Kevin Dudd. Austin Johnson has been "meh"; Derrick Henry was not going to be a Titan after December... until December rolled around. No 4th round pick.

 

In short, we compromised our Goff haul to target Conklin, on whom the jury is seriously deadlocked. Evans and Landry are nice pieces but I bet there were other nice pieces out there instead (Calvin Ridley among them instead of Evans and Jesse Bates instead of Landry.... plus the 3rd and 4th round sacrificed picks to boot).

 

Madness? We have, still, a weak roster and need a few more players that we might now have had we played our hand differently. Just having the picks is not the answer; you have to make them count. Sorry if it hurts!

let it go

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.