AussieTitanFan08

Ravens to allow Za'Darius Smith to test his value in FA

Good news for the Titans here, the Ravens are going to allow Za'Darius Smith to test his value in free agency, have to think with Pees links to Smith that JRob would want to at least find out how much it would cost to sign Smith.

1 minute ago, heyitsmeallen said:

He’s young and knows Pees system. I would be suprised if they don’t at least bring him in for a visit with Rak retiring. 

It just makes so much sense for JRob to at least inquire how much it would cost to bring Smith to Nashville.

The main reason I would love it if we could sign Smith early in FA is it would completely open up where JRob could go early in the draft, without a huge hole at starting starting OLB, it brings up IOL/IDL/WR/TE as legitimate possibilities early in the draft. 

I mean, other than the 3 sacks against the Titans, what did he do last year? 2.6 tackles per game? That doesn't sound very productive for OLB. Landry basically matched those numbers. I'd expect more from a 4 year player. Am I missing something?

8 minutes ago, Tomachek said:

They need to sign either Smith, and let Morgan walk at this point.  Smith, Landry, Finch and Correa gives us a little bit more flexibility early in the draft.

Morgan had pretty good showing at the end of the year, considering. 

6 minutes ago, SleepingTitan said:

Morgan had pretty good showing at the end of the year, considering. 

In 13 games Morgan had 0.5 sacks 0 tackles for loss and 4 QB hits, he is done.

In 16 games Smith had 8.5 sacks 10 tackles for loss and 23 QB hits.

Smith is 26 and still ascending as a player, Morgan is constantly banged up and is old.

1 hour ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

It just makes so much sense for JRob to at least inquire how much it would cost to bring Smith to Nashville.

The main reason I would love it if we could sign Smith early in FA is it would completely open up where JRob could go early in the draft, without a huge hole at starting starting OLB, it brings up IOL/IDL/WR/TE as legitimate possibilities early in the draft. 

I agree. Jrob has been pretty good so far about filling holes in FA to allow him to go BPA in the draft. 

I wouldn’t mind signing Smith and Barr. A rotation of those two with Finch and Landry is formidable. Barr is faster around the edge than Smith, but he’ll be abused on the edge in the base. It would also add some versatility. Our investment in OLB is next to nothing. If we can sign the two for under 17 a year I would go for it. It would give us a legit rotation outside. That still leaves us room to sign a WR and pay Byard. At that point we are wide open in the draft. 

Of course one will do. 

1 hour ago, SleepingTitan said:

I mean, other than the 3 sacks against the Titans, what did he do last year? 2.6 tackles per game? That doesn't sound very productive for OLB. Landry basically matched those numbers. I'd expect more from a 4 year player. Am I missing something?

This is my main worry with ZaDarius Smith. His production came in bunches this year and he wasn’t super effective the first few years. 

It will be interesting to see how it shakes out. I think we will definitely have interest but it will depend on the price tag. He shouldn’t get the same type of contract that say Clowney or Flowers may get.

1 hour ago, SleepingTitan said:

We are desperate. He is a good player despite the numbers. He moves inside to rush the passer alot too so that may explain his numbers a bit.

tgo   
19 minutes ago, titanskick8851 said:

This is my main worry with ZaDarius Smith. His production came in bunches this year and he wasn’t super effective the first few years. 

It will be interesting to see how it shakes out. I think we will definitely have interest but it will depend on the price tag. He shouldn’t get the same type of contract that say Clowney or Flowers may get.

I think that's kind of the point. 

Flowers is the better player for sure, but he'll get overpaid. And it may even be by us, but I tend to think we'll look to "the Smiths." Za'Darius and Preston, that is. 

tgo   
19 minutes ago, headhunter said:

We are desperate. He is a good player despite the numbers. He moves inside to rush the passer alot too so that may explain his numbers a bit.

Which is what we did with both Orakpo and Morgan and is a staple of the defense. So we need someone who can rush inside more effectively when necessary. 

OLBs are never going to put up crazy numbers in this scheme, that's not what it is designed to do. 

reo   
2 hours ago, SleepingTitan said:

Yeah. It seems tons of people around here are high on him but I don't really see why. I'm fine with it but don't over pay. 

I don't really know anything about him though outside his stats. Was he a starter or role player?

tgo   
11 minutes ago, reo said:

Yeah. It seems tons of people around here are high on him but I don't really see why. I'm fine with it but don't over pay. 

I don't really know anything about him though outside his stats. Was he a starter or role player?

Rotated with Suggs. Started situationally. Started 8 games this year.

Judon is the starter on the other side there.