Sarah Sanders says 'God wanted Trump to be president'

OILERMAN

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47066659

Ms Sanders made the claim in an interview with the Christian Broadcasting Network (CBN), saying it was the reason Mr Trump was in office.

Responding to Mr Brady's question about Mr Trump's position, Ms Sanders said: "I think God calls all of us to fill different roles at different times and I think that He wanted Donald Trump to become president."

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rarely is a point I make here proven almost immediately like this.

I’d say Trump being president is just more proof that there is no god...

Everything you post is littered with stupidity.  

Posted Images

This is pretty much Christian orthodoxy. Everything happens according to God's plan, God works in mysterious ways, we mortals can't possibly understand, etc. It makes things real easy. It's why none of the adultery and assaults matter. It's why the fact that Trump is the living, breathing embodiment of each and every 7 deadly sin, and the literal antithesis of everything Jesus stood for, doesn't matter one whit. He talks the talk, he gives evangelicals what they want (Judges and Sharia Law), and so it's all cool cuz God works in mysterious ways.

I'm a non-dualist Vedantist myself (we are God and he is us and we're all the same) so while much of this is apologetic babble, in a 30,000 foot up view, I sort of agree. 

But, other than the religion, I challenge anyone to explain how these two statements above are different from those that advocate for Sharia Law in muslim majority countries.

From a God standpoint okay, I can see an argument even if it’s a bad one. Something along the lines of the verse “out of the mouth of God comes all things, good and evil”. But from a Christian standpoint it’s the most hypocritical shit ever. Trump is the antithesis of Christ and his teachings. 

1 hour ago, OILERMAN said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47066659

Ms Sanders made the claim in an interview with the Christian Broadcasting Network (CBN), saying it was the reason Mr Trump was in office.

Responding to Mr Brady's question about Mr Trump's position, Ms Sanders said: "I think God calls all of us to fill different roles at different times and I think that He wanted Donald Trump to become president."

What a huge leap! We will be all wearing suit pants, white collard shirts, slim ties, and cardigan sweaters in no time! 1950’s here we come!

2 minutes ago, heyitsmeallen said:

What a huge leap! We will be all wearing suit pants, white collard shirts, slim ties, and cardigan sweaters in no time! 1950’s here we come!

And we won't have the civil rights act of 1964 in effect and possibly not Brown vs. Board of Education either.  Nor will we have women competing with men in the work place.  All a republican dream come true.

6 minutes ago, ctm said:

And we won't have the civil rights act of 1964 in effect and possibly not Brown vs. Board of Education either.  Nor will we have women competing with men in the work place.  All a republican dream come true.

Though you’re being hyperbolic it’s only to a degree. Moving the clock back seems to be all the conservative Christians really care about. They don’t care how it happens or who is the ambassador leading the way. 

They don't truly even want to turn the clock back. Your average suburban mega-church family wouldn't last a week in the 1950s. There house would be a third the size, no streaming TV on demand, no iphones, women wearing dresses all day instead of yoga pants and/or baggy sweats, etc etc. They would be screaming for their comfortable, modern lifestyle.

3 minutes ago, Legaltitan said:

They don't truly even want to turn the clock back. Your average suburban mega-church family wouldn't last a week in the 1950s. There house would be a third the size, no streaming TV on demand, no iphones, women wearing dresses all day instead of yoga pants and/or baggy sweats, etc etc. They would be screaming for their comfortable, modern lifestyle.

Agreed. That’s how they see it though. They would love a repeal of Roe Vs Wade, same sex marriages, and the reversal of the MeToo movement. 

9 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

the reversal of the MeToo movement. 

This one is interesting and we don't talk about it enough.

First of all, I am not saying and no one I know is saying that conservative Christians think rape is ok. Period. I assume all Christians, conservative or not, think rape is a horrific crime.

But the #MeToo movement isn't just about rape, it's about assault. And it isn't just about that, it is about the culture that allows it to exist. And that is the point where this movement starts to butt heads with conservative Christianity.

Roy Moore was a great example that exposed this unspoken issue. As more and more came out about Roy Moore, many Christians, even conservative Christians, quietly backed away. And I applaud them for that. But the reason it took some time, and that Moore continued to have his Christian defenders, is that the idea of an older man "courting" or "dating" girls much much younger than them is not frowned upon amongst many conservative Christians. It is in line with the patriarchial foundation of that culture. A young innocent girl is supposed to be courted by an older, wiser and experienced man. Now, he's not supposed to assault them, of course, but I think the early disconnect on Moore is because most people inherently just saw it as gross and beyond the pale that a man in his 30s who was a public figure and an attorney would be romantically pursuing 14 year old girls. But for many conservative Christians, especially in the south, this did not really bother them that much. Moore was a godly man and a prominent man, so what's the problem? So from the get go people were looking at Moore from very very different starting positions.

Moore is just the tip of the iceberg. Only ten percent of rape victims go to the police. Many of the rape kits are left sitting for years. Over 25% of women admit to being raped. Over 50% have been assaulted in some form or another. The culture is pervasive, and the conservatives absolutely see women becoming empowered as a direct affront against the good ole boy patriarchy. 

Christianity only blends in with this culture when it suits them as a rearguard battle to protect their own. The truth is people enjoy power. It is similar to LBJ “If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you." It’s the same complex, but society shifted through the 90s to at least consistently frown upon outright racism. The same was not true for sexism and assault on women.