Eagles Expected to Let Foles Walk (Update: Franchise Tag Expected, per Schefter)

Jonboy

Last two seasons - they are 16-8 with Wentz and he put up 54 TD and 14 INT.  Passer rating of 102. 

Our guy - 16-12 with 24 TD and 23 INT.  Passer rating in the mid 80's.

Wentz has played 16 less games (a season's worth) and has 1 more TD pass than Mariota has for their careers. 

For the stat boys, Wentz rookie year out of an FCS school essentially mirrored Mariota's 2017 season.  

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Would really love to have Calais Campbell

Well hopefully he likes living in Jacksonville. 

If I were Foles and the Eagles tendered him with the franchise tag I'd sign it right away. He'd make a ton of money, he'd be totally free next year and there will be more teams in the QB market in 202

8 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

Last two seasons - they are 16-8 with Wentz and he put up 54 TD and 14 INT.  Passer rating of 102. 

Our guy - 16-12 with 24 TD and 23 INT.  Passer rating in the mid 80's.

Wentz has played 16 less games (a season's worth) and has 1 more TD pass than Mariota has for their careers. 

For the stat boys, Wentz rookie year out of an FCS school essentially mirrored Mariota's 2017 season.  

Stats don't lie and  you can't even claim that Mariota has the better W-L record!

8 minutes ago, Face said:

Mariota also had 45 TD's to 19 picks his first 2 years. His rookie year his top 3 WR's are no longer in the league & his 2nd WR was Tajae Sharpe his 2nd year.

What's more relevant - the last two years or what MM did years ago.

5 hours ago, japan said:

If you watched many Eagles games you know that Wentz didn't pass the eye test.  He was bad most of the season and had one of the worst performances by a QB that I've seen in the last 5 years or so against the Saints.  Foles was iffy early in the season but of course played well down the stretch and were it not for Jeffrey's blowing an easy pass, they may have been playing in the NFC Championship game.

My biggest frustration with Wentz is that he actually throws some bad balls more often than you’d like out of someone as highly touted as he is. I’m not saying he is a bad QB or anything like that. He has some great stats. 

Also, you have to worry about his long-term availability. 

56 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

What's more relevant - the last two years or what MM did years ago.

if just discussing MM than of course the last 2 years are more relevant but if comparing him to Wentz than I think you need to look at it all. 

Its not like either one of them has had a long enough career that you can just throw out a couple years when evaluating them.

4 hours ago, StephenIsLegend said:

My biggest frustration with Wentz is that he actually throws some bad balls more often than you’d like out of someone as highly touted as he is. I’m not saying he is a bad QB or anything like that. He has some great stats. 

Also, you have to worry about his long-term availability. 

I always laugh at this knock on Wentz. He completed nearly 70% this year. I’d gladly take a couple bad balls. 

1 hour ago, OILERMAN said:

Yes, that's what I added the eye test from the Mariota homer

While we all want for the Super Bowl, there’s only so much news to pass around during the break. Fortunately, there’s a lot of unique stats out there to break down that deserve their own articles, like this one.

Not every Titans fan may know this, but Marcus Mariota and Corey Davis were both superb at converting 3rd downs. 3rd down, as we know, is generally the most critical, intense down, deciding if you’re punting the ball away, kicking a field goal, or keeping the drive alive (Then again, everyone’s going for it on fourth down now).

Mariota finished fifth in 3rd down conversion percentage on pass plays in 2018, converting 45 of 97 3rd down passing opportunities. His 46.4% conversion percentage on 3rd down only trailed Patrick Mahomes (51.6% on 64/124 attempts), James Winston (50.6% on 42/83 attempts), Andrew Luck (49.3% on 80/162 attempts), and Matt Ryan (48.6% on 72/148 attempts). Mariota’s sample size is smaller than the rest of the QBs in the top five due to an injury shortened season, but his ability to convert pass plays on critical downs was essential in keeping the Titans’ playoff hopes alive.

On the receiving side of things, Corey Davis also excelled in moving the chains, finished tied for eighth with Mike Evans in first down catches on 3rd down with 20 of those. Davis finished behind Julio Jones (24), Michael Thomas (23), Tyler Boyd and DeAndre Hopkins (22), and TY Hilton, Travis Kelce and Adam Thielen (21). That’s elite company to trail, and that shows the growth Davis displayed in his second season in the league.

Incredibly, Mariota also finished second in 3rd and long conversion percentage (8 yards or more), converting on 47.2% (17/36) of his 3rd and long pass plays, trailing Winston (50.0, 19/38). Despite a year where his raw stats were pedestrian, Mariota’s ability to convert 3rd downs and keep drives going was as good as any other QB in 2018.

You can find and customize the stats mentioned in this piece here. If you want to see all of Mariota’s drop backs on 3rd and 4th down, Music City Miracles’ very own Justin Graver went into complete detail and released a video of that that you can find here.

Edited by Huston

4th-qtr passer rating during one-score games (25 att min; 30 qualifying QB)

Ryan 124.8 Brady 122.8 Wentz 119.8 Mahomes 115.4 Brees 114.2 Prescott 112.3 Mariota 109.8 Luck 106.5 ———

Carr 83.8 Mayfield 81.3 Dalton 79.7 Allen 71.3 Winston 67.4 Mullens 60.3 Bortles 52.5 Darnold 39.4