Sign in to follow this  
tgo

Eric Weddle

tgo   

Posted this the other day, but then saw this article pop up on Titans Online...

"Weddle took Titans safety Kevin Byard under his wing when he first arrived in the NFL, and he’s watched him grow."

"Weddle, a 12-year pro, said he’s been a big fan of Byard’s since he arrived in the NFL as a third-round pick from MTSU in 2016. The two talk roughly every other week during the season, Weddle said."

“I watch basically every game of his, and try and help him out throughout the season,” Weddle said of Byard. “I try and be there for him, as a guy who will listen in the ups and downs of the season. Just seeing him and how he has grown, it's awesome. Under Dean, he is always going to make impact plays, but he has expanded his game, manning guys up and being around the box more and blitzing. Dean will get his game to even greater heights for sure."

https://www.titansonline.com/news/ravens-pro-bowler-eric-weddle-on-titans-safety-kevin-byard-the-best-is-yet-to-co

When I saw the news that he has changed his mind and is willing to play for another team if the Ravens cut him, my ears perked up. I think if he were to be released (I kind of bet they bring him back for another year), we could target him. 

There are two scenarios in which we could sign him:

Sign Vaccaro to a cheap deal, cut Cyprien, sign Weddle OR alternatively, let Vaccaro walk and make Cyprien take a big paycut. Have them all rotate situationally - Weddle is mostly a free safety, but has some versatility. Not sure he's good enough in the box to be a real strong safety - so having Cyprien or Vaccaro along with the other two would be ideal situationally. 

The other would be to let both go and then let Weddle and Byard play interchangeable. This could also work. Cruikshank could continue to develop behind Weddle and Byard. The connections between Pees/Byard and Weddle make way too much sense for him to be a target if he got cut, even though this position isn't a need. 

Weddle is the smartest, most savvy safety in the NFL. Putting him, Byard, and Logan Ryan on the field at once would be like having three premier players that are also basically coaches in the secondary and could give you a ridiculous amount of flexibility. 

I'll be keeping an eye on ole Weddle. 

Edited by tgo

tgo   
16 hours ago, japan said:

I don’t understand how this would work. I guess if he wanted to be the 3rd safety. 

Vaccaro would be the 3rd safety in that scenario. 

reo   
6 hours ago, Face said:

Are you guys serious? Weddle at 34 is way better then Vaccaro & Cyprien. It's reallly not even close.

Hard pass on 34 yr old safeties. 

tgo   
1 minute ago, reo said:

Hard pass on 34 yr old safeties. 

Vaccaro probably will only get a 1 year deal if he re signs anyway. 

Huston   
33 minutes ago, tgo said:

No way he signs another one year deal with anyone.

Edited by Huston

reo   
30 minutes ago, tgo said:

That's fine.

3 minutes ago, Huston said:

No way he sings another one year deal with anyone.

I wouldn't bet against it.