Sign in to follow this  
9 Nines

Surrender: Trump Expected to Endorse Deal to End Shutdown

Recommended Posts

Senate Republicans are signaling they will do just about anything to prevent a second shutdown after the White House was widely seen as badly losing the political fight over the closure that ended with President Trump's retreat on Friday.

 

I don’t like shutdowns. I don’t think they work for anybody, and I hope that they would be avoided,” McConnell said. “I’m for whatever works, which means avoiding a shutdown and avoiding the president feeling that he should declare a national emergency.”

 

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/427574-no-gop-appetite-for-a-second-shutdown

 

This is essentially McConnell waving the white flag and saying the senate won't filibuster and will pass whatever comes out of the House, where spending bills originate.  That puts the ball in Trump's court where he must either sign, veto, or allow it to become law without his signature.  Keep in mind that declaring a national emergency doesn't change the fact he has to do something with a bill that is passed by both houses.  Also keep in mind that if Trump vetoes the bill then Madam Speaker can just pass a clean CR to fund the government with no money for border security.  Then Trump is back in the same boat with even less money for the border.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The above statement means almost nothing when the only sources you post are from anne "the devil" coulter, tucker carleson, and alex jones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

President Donald Trump’s most ardent cable news defender cut away briefly from the president’s Monday night rally in El Paso, Texas, to issue a warning to Republican lawmakers: Don’t back congressional negotiators’ latest border deal.

 

“On this new, so-called compromise, I’m getting details,” said Fox News host Sean Hannity, referring to the tentative agreement reached by a bipartisan conference committee that would allocate roughly $1.375 billion for physical barriers along the U.S.-Mexico border.

 

“1.3 billion? That’s not a — not even a wall, a barrier?” Hannity said.

 

“I’m going to tell this tonight and we will get back into this tomorrow,” he continued. “Any Republican that supports this garbage compromise, you will have to explain.

 

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/02/11/government-shutdown-deal-border-hannity-1164567

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Justafan said:

The above statement means almost nothing when the only sources you post are from anne "the devil" coulter, tucker carleson, and alex jones.

 

I rarely post other people's thoughts. I can form my own. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ctm said:

President Donald Trump’s most ardent cable news defender cut away briefly from the president’s Monday night rally in El Paso, Texas, to issue a warning to Republican lawmakers: Don’t back congressional negotiators’ latest border deal.

 

“On this new, so-called compromise, I’m getting details,” said Fox News host Sean Hannity, referring to the tentative agreement reached by a bipartisan conference committee that would allocate roughly $1.375 billion for physical barriers along the U.S.-Mexico border.

 

“1.3 billion? That’s not a — not even a wall, a barrier?” Hannity said.

 

“I’m going to tell this tonight and we will get back into this tomorrow,” he continued. “Any Republican that supports this garbage compromise, you will have to explain.

 

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/02/11/government-shutdown-deal-border-hannity-1164567

Shutdown pt. 2 commence. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Legaltitan said:

I don't think he will do it. But who knows with this fucking guy

He’ll do it. He listens to Hannity and Coulter more than the Joint Chiefs of Staff. If either of those two tell him to back down from an agreement he will. I hope not, but that’s what I think will happen. 

Edited by IsntLifeFunny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, IsntLifeFunny said:

He’ll do it. He listens to Hannity and Coulter more than the Joint Chiefs of Staff. If either of those two tell him to back down from an agreement he will. I hope not, but that’s what I think will happen. 

I bet a dollar there is no shutdown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grantee it's from a Dem and you never really know what Republicans will do but one of the people involved with the negotiations said they think they'd have enough support to override a veto.

 

I don't think McConnell has the stomach for another shutdown.

 

Trump will either spin it and change the subject or he'll try to get the money some other way which would probably also be blocked.

Edited by reo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is probably true.  He will build the wall with other funding methods the best he can and ultimately this will be an issue in his favor in 2020.  The left is going so far left they will look like lunatics. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

This is probably true.  He will build the wall with other funding methods the best he can and ultimately this will be an issue in his favor in 2020.  The left is going so far left they will look like lunatics. 

The American people don't want a wall. The fact that Trump has to spend all this political capital on it is proof. There will be no wall and dems being against the wall won't cost them significant votes. That's just something you're telling yourself so you can feel better about there never being a wall. It's over, Trump lost this fight. Time to move on to actually governing the country. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.