Sign in to follow this  
9 Nines

Surrender: Trump Expected to Endorse Deal to End Shutdown

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Senators who are up in 2020 will have hell to pay if people don't get paid again

There’s no way repub senators can weather another shutdown. They’ll tell Trump: look, we tried in your way with the last minute shutdown and now we look like chumps. You gotta stop storming the palace with 20% of the electorate. The 2020 path to maintain senate control  can’t take another hit like this. You’re on your own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Titans279 said:

If Trump declares a national emergency it'll get challenged in the courts. 

 

Even if it eventually survives a challenge it would likely be after his first term. 

 

If it does go through Trump has just opened a giant can of worms that can be exploited by the Democrats to enact some of their pet policies, or by someone in the future who is really looking for a way to nefariously circumvent congress due to an "emergency."

This. Republicans are playing with fire. They won’t be in power forever. If they go this route, they will be pissed when a dem uses it to his advantage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Little Earl said:

Trump never had full control like obama did.  Granted it was not the full two years, but he did enjoy the super majority in the senate for a year.

They had a theoretical supermajority for about 3 months. Arlen Specter switched parties a few months into the term. Then Franken didn’t get seated until the summer of 2009, theoretically giving them 60 votes. But Ted Kennedy died and wasn’t replaced for a few months. And Robert Byrd was busy dying, too, so they had to wheel him in to vote to pass Obamacare. 

 

And they were counting on a bunch conservative Democrats and independents, too. Any of them could (and did) block anything they deemed too liberal. Like they blocked Medicare expansion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's such an interesting situation.

 

The shutdown battle was a clear win for Pelosi and the Dems, and there's no disputing that. But this 3 week window now puts her and Schumer in a pickle of their own. The ball is in their court to make some kind of counter-offer, and they absolutely won't offer a thing that involves wall money, and never would have. 

Surely Trump recognizes that the media isn't going to press Pelosi and Schumer for not negotiating during this 3 week open period and reasons for not doing so. That ain't happening. And another shutdown ain't either. 

 

So, this ends with Pelosi not moving an inch on the border $$ (which was never happening), and him declaring an emergency. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, TennesseeTuxedo said:

Trump is building a wall at our southern border and within the modern DNC.

X

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The courts will rule that there is no emergency at the border that requires building a wall. It doesn't exist. Trump will be prevented from diverting money from other accounts and there will be no wall construction.  Trump will lose again and further embarrass himself and his supporters.

Edited by ctm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ctm said:

The courts will rule that there is no emergency at the border that requires building a wall. It doesn't exist. Trump will be prevented from diverting money from other accounts and there will be no wall construction.  Trump will lose again and further embarrass himself and his supporters.

Several Trump hard cores has suggested the national emergency road.  It's baffling to me.  What is the emergency?  National emergency as we are being attacked?  The vast majority just want the opportunity to make money to send home.  Emergency?  

 

I get the idea of wanting legal entry, but a national emergency?  This is how far it has gone.  I really would like to hear from reasonable republicans their thoughts on this being a national emergency.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Rogue said:

Several Trump hard cores has suggested the national emergency road.  It's baffling to me.  What is the emergency?  National emergency as we are being attacked?  The vast majority just want the opportunity to make money to send home.  Emergency?  

 

I get the idea of wanting legal entry, but a national emergency?  This is how far it has gone.  I really would like to hear from reasonable republicans their thoughts on this being a national emergency.  

 

 

They don’t exist anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Legaltitan said:

You mean like over the summer when democratic leadership agreed to AA deal for all $25B for a wall in exchange for legalizing the daca kids which Trump said he wanted to do anyway And allowing some restrictions on legal immigration and then Trump backed out at the last minute because of Stephen Miller? Given you are so much smarter than us I'm sure you knew all about that. 

Actually I agree with you 100% that this should have been done but this time around it was Pelosi and Schumer who started off with the BS about excluding funding for the wall.  It was the childish way of getting Trump.  So we have way too much posturing and politics.  Look, just about every "smart" lib on this board has boarded the insane Pelosi train.  So call it like you see it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Soxcat said:

Actually I agree with you 100% that this should have been done but this time around it was Pelosi and Schumer who started off with the BS about excluding funding for the wall.  It was the childish way of getting Trump.  So we have way too much posturing and politics.  Look, just about every "smart" lib on this board has boarded the insane Pelosi train.  So call it like you see it.  

Liberals don't want a wall period. Trump has run out of ways to force the wall on a country that doesn't want it. Accept that and move on to actually governing the country rather than fear-mongering about  brown people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

Liberals don't want a wall period. Trump has run out of ways to force the wall on a country that doesn't want it. Accept that and move on to actually governing the country rather than fear-mongering about  brown people.

Won't happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.