Investigating Marcus Mariota’s downfield accuracy in 2018

Huston

Actually @Number9 FO had a stat on this, throwing distance in relation to the sticks. So if it's 3rd & 7 & the QB throws it 5 yards in the air it's -2. And they add it all up. Mariota was 3rd this year & was top 6 every year. Brady & Maholmes were 1 & 2. Basically all the best QB's rank very high in this area.

He should get more aggressive throwing deep in 1 on 1's. But that doesn't apply to other routes. He's very aggressive throwing deep out & ins when tightly covered. 

The truth is the analytics, with stats such as the above & "average air yards per throw", amongst others, have all shown him to be much more aggressive then average.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Impressive breakdown.  Especially in view of the current level of criticism thrown at Mariota on TR.   If he can stay on the field with a better WR core and an improved IOL, then 2019 will b

He doesn't want that either. Because if he plays well then it would confirm that Mariota simply had to play better.   What he wants is he's let go and he shines somewhere else so he can prov

With the two-week break leading up to the Super Bowl, I usually like to take this time to start charting for what I like to call The Deep Ball Project. Founded by me in 2014, The Deep Ball Project—as

1 hour ago, Face said:

Mariota was 3rd this year & was top 6 every year. Brady & Maholmes were 1 & 2. Basically all the best QB's rank very high in this area.

So why is the overall body of work so pitifully weak? 

1 hour ago, newschool said:

TD/INT ratio and I'm guessing 3rd down conversion rate?

I don't know what this means? I'm saying if Mariota is up there with all the great QBs in this supposed important stat why does the offense suck a long with his stats the last two years? 

6 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

So why is the overall body of work so pitifully weak? 

Injuries and a new offense are the biggest reason for the inconsistencies last year for hundredth time. 

Just now, Huston said:

Injuries and a new offense are the biggest reason for the inconsistencies last year for hundredth time. 

Last year?

Mariota has been mediocre for 3 years now aside from an 8 game stretch in the middle of 2016

2 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Last year?

Mariota has been mediocre for 3 years now aside from an 8 game stretch in the middle of 2016

Those are your feelings about his play not mine so don't know how to answer that we are talking about last year or this year technically so stay on topic.

10 minutes ago, Huston said:

Those are your feelings about his play not mine so don't know how to answer that we are talking about last year or this year technically so stay on topic.

Yea, interesting that since the previous two years, and the preseason this year can't be explained with injury it's "off topic"

5 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Yea, interesting that since the previous two years, and the preseason this year can't be explained with injury it's "off topic"

Why is it that the target keeps moving with you when you can't disprove something. So the article is bogus because of last year and preseason lol. 

I’m excited to see him healthy this year.  There will be no new offense 18 month onboarding in 2019 and if he gets injured in the 3rd quarter of the first game (or any other game) it becomes his norm.  Explaining it away by blaming others will not get the long term deal.  He could get the tag but no long term deal with play in ‘19 that mirrors ‘18.

4 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

I don't know what this means? I'm saying if Mariota is up there with all the great QBs in this supposed important stat why does the offense suck a long with his stats the last two years? 

I'm saying maybe bc he hasn't done well in those departments. If you can't move the chains and can't score the rest of the good doesn't matter much. 

I think this is why you see posters seeing 2 different things. Some see a guy who has done some incredible things. Others see a guy who hasn't done the basic things you look for in a QB - moving chains consistently and scoring.

Yet another Mariota thread.

Let's just all agree that every Mariota thread falls into one of the following narratives:

Narrative #1:  Mariota is mediocre at best and is a bust

Narrative #2:  Mariota is better than you think, and is a good to excellent QB, and here are some stats to prove it

Narrative #3:  Mariota is a conundrum and needs more time to develop

So, in the interest of expediency, for every Mariota thread we create, why don't we all just identify the narrative by number as indicated above in the thread title?

In this case, this thread is for narrative #2. 

Moderators, feel free to edit the thread title if you agree with me.

Edited by Denali

On 1/25/2019 at 6:14 PM, OILERMAN said:

I talked to someone else about this very thing. Look at the Steelers game last year for your answer

Fear sometimes arises from insecurity. He doesn't have the touch or arm strength to fit it where he needs to, and thus, he "takes care of the football." 

Which translates into: sacks, lack of production, lowering of morale by receivers, more guys in the box, punts, etc. He's definitely not a guy who can make every throw.

Honestly, the production we've gotten from Marcus is a dime a dozen coming out of college. We can safely call him a bust now, as much as I hate to say it. 

I love when people use the "he can make every throw" argument about a player, there are very few players who physically CANNOT make every throw. They got to the NFL for christ's sake.

Whether they actually pull the trigger and make those throws or even attempt those throws regularly is a completely different conversation