Sign in to follow this  
Tex in a Can

Which coach most influenced Arthur Smith's offensive philosophy?

Which coach most influenced Arthur Smith's offensive philosophy?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Which coach most influenced Arthur Smith's offensive philosophy?

• Mike Munchak
    • Ken Wisenhunt
    • Mike Mularkey
    • Mike Vrabel
    • Matt LaFleur
    • Terry Robiskie
    • Chris Palmer
    • Other

Soxcat   

I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict we keep the same playbook from last year and Smith can add to it.  It makes no sense to change anything since the primary objective was to maintain continuity.  Smith has Lefluer's playbook and he should be watching the last couple of years of the Rams tape to soak everything he can in on McVay's system. 

I've never seen anyone exactly photocopy the previous coordinator's system, they always end up 20-30% different even if they are hired for continuity. While we will have to wait and see what he does, I was wondering who we thought were his greatest influences. My thinking is probably Mularkey.

It's Smith's offense now, they've heard what he wants to do, I don't think there will be significant constraints on what he is allowed to do.

Edited by Tex in a Can

tgo   

I went with Mularkey because they worked the closest together and he was closer to him than any of the others. 

That said, I think they'll use the LaFleur verbiage for the most part and will stick with the zone blocking scheme (which Smith also is familiar with from the Munchak era). I wouldn't think they would go with the archaic passing concepts from Mularkey either. But I could see him incorporating certain concepts, maybe some "trick" plays, or things like that. 

Where Mularkey's influence will come in with Smith, in my opinion, is going to be ball control offense and protecting the QB. And creative ways to utilize the tight ends. I think it's likely that Mularkey influenced his base offensive philosophy heavily. But the framework of the offense will be LaFleur's Shanahan/Kubiak offense. 

But honestly who knows. 20% of the offense could be totally new and some Frankenstein version of past offenses.

Edited by tgo

Tomachek   

Honestly, Whiz offense might have been the best for Mariota if we had the offensive line to do it.  Just look back to what he did his rookie debut against Tampa.  Even now his best games are when we spread the field out and keep him in shotgun.

2 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

It's almost impossible to know what his "system" and philosophy will be, but we should know it's coming from a guy who's intimately familiar with our current roster makeup and a guy who's seen what has worked and what hasn't. I hope he knocks it out of the park.

Way to early. At this point it's as speculative as a SleepingTitan thread. 

I expect more Mike Shanahan than Mike Malarkey. We will get some of what MLF theoretically brings with a balance that Vrabel can live with. 

tgo   
9 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

The most appealing aspect of this hire may be the fact that he has experience under multiple staffs with vastly different philosophies. He should also be more familiar with our offensive personnel than almost anyone. So we have a guy who's incredibly familiar with the pieces in place and he's also seen those pieces working under the systems of Chris Palmer, Ken Whisenhunt, Jason Michael, Terry Robiskie, and Matt LaFleur, as well as the HCs mentioned in the OP. 

It's almost impossible to know what his "system" and philosophy will be, but we should know it's coming from a guy who's intimately familiar with our current roster makeup and a guy who's seen what has worked and what hasn't. I hope he knocks it out of the park.

It's crazy that he's been around since Delanie was signed as a free agent. The only players that pre-date Smith are Morgan (soon to be gone probbaly) and Kern. 

So he knows all the offensive players from the time they were acquired. 

tgo   

While contemplating the possibility of Smith as coordinator last week, a player told me Smith would meld the best of Mularkey’s smashmouth run game and LaFleur’s inside and outside zone.

“He will take the best parts of what we ran with our last coach and adapt it with our offense from last year,” Taylor Lewan said.

Edited by tgo

tgo   

It sounds like we won't be running exclusive zone going forward. Most teams actually run a mix, so I would think we'll go that direction, as PK noted. 

This shouldn't be too big of an issue since we have Mike Sullivan on staff as assistant OL coach, who has always been a power guy. 

I like the idea of having a robust and multi faceted run game. 

6 minutes ago, tgo said:

It sounds like we won't be running exclusive zone going forward. Most teams actually run a mix, so I would think we'll go that direction, as PK noted. 

This shouldn't be too big of an issue since we have Mike Sullivan on staff as assistant OL coach, who has always been a power guy. 

I like the idea of having a robust and multi faceted run game. 

Plus Smith has been involved with both

tgo   
Just now, headhunter said:

Plus Smith has been involved with both

Of course. 

Promote Steckel to TE coach and we'll have guys well versed in both systems in the key run game positions. 

Soxcat   
16 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

Sure there will be some wrinkles of his own we have to "know" it will have many similarities to what LaFluer was running.  It makes zero sense to make wholesale changes and JRob stated they wanted continuity.   As for the running game almost anything goes since they can use a mix of zone and power.  That isn't that big of a deal.  Where we need the continuity is in the passing game.

I voted for Robiskie.  Could have added Mularkey but not possible.  Smith has learned to never, ever run an offense like him.  Smith will take the best from all the rest, but not from "pop em' 'til it works".

pro