Which coach most influenced Arthur Smith's offensive philosophy?

Tex in a Can

Which coach most influenced Arthur Smith's offensive philosophy?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Which coach most influenced Arthur Smith's offensive philosophy?

• Mike Munchak
    • Ken Wisenhunt
    • Mike Mularkey
    • Mike Vrabel
    • Matt LaFleur
    • Terry Robiskie
    • Chris Palmer
    • Other

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The most appealing aspect of this hire may be the fact that he has experience under multiple staffs with vastly different philosophies. He should also be more familiar with our offensive personnel tha

I don’t know how someone could say they have a definitive answer to this. Some of the more exciting aspects of this is that Smith has been a part of so many different types of staffs. Instead of bring

I went with Mularkey because they worked the closest together and he was closer to him than any of the others.    That said, I think they'll use the LaFleur verbiage for the most part and wi

Well, I guess since I'm a Titans fan first and foremost, I'll try to vision his experience with the team to be a huge success.  Over the years, he's seen what they can do and knows what they like.  His playbook should be the size of the Encyclopedia Britannica by now, so I hope he picks out the best ones.

25276740.gif

1 hour ago, Former_Fan said:

Only Smith knows what kind of system he is going to run, and even he might not be exactly sure at this point. Anything beyond this is speculation.

In order to get this promotion I'm sure that he had to show what he wants to do and how he would go about executing it.  No way JRob and co would be comfortable hiring him if he didn't have a good idea of what he was going to do with the players that we have.

35 minutes ago, Stan17 said:

In order to get this promotion I'm sure that he had to show what he wants to do and how he would go about executing it.  No way JRob and co would be comfortable hiring him if he didn't have a good idea of what he was going to do with the players that we have.

Yep.  I can’t see JRob hiring a guy whose plan was “ehhhhhh...We’ll figure it out and come up with something”.

You can bet Arthur Smith came to the table with a very clear and concise vision of the offense he’ll be implementing and a blueprint for exactly how to go about doing it, including his plans for each player and position group. 

5 hours ago, Jonboy said:

The most appealing aspect of this hire may be the fact that he has experience under multiple staffs with vastly different philosophies. He should also be more familiar with our offensive personnel than almost anyone. So we have a guy who's incredibly familiar with the pieces in place and he's also seen those pieces working under the systems of Chris Palmer, Ken Whisenhunt, Jason Michael, Terry Robiskie, and Matt LaFleur, as well as the HCs mentioned in the OP. 

It's almost impossible to know what his "system" and philosophy will be, but we should know it's coming from a guy who's intimately familiar with our current roster makeup and a guy who's seen what has worked and what hasn't. I hope he knocks it out of the park.

Right. Good post. To add: We can't really know what his exact system will be like, what his temperament is, how he is in the moment at a critical point in a critical game. What we can know is that he is already a strong fit from an organizational culture standpoint. There are times when an outsider perspective is fresh/needed--I don't think this is such a time. There won't be a "getting to know" period, he isn't going to have to develop new relationships or discover new tendencies and quirks, developing ideas of the players' personalities and drives. With all of the questions surrounding Mariota, a new voice "figuring out" how the team really feels about/handles this is not something that I think would be helpful. Next season is a critical time, and trust is going to be a key factor in the success of the offense--both short term and long term moving forward regardless of how things go. 

5 hours ago, tgo said:
Chess

While contemplating the possibility of Smith as coordinator last week, a player told me Smith would meld the best of Mularkey’s smashmouth run game and LaFleur’s inside and outside zone.

“He will take the best parts of what we ran with our last coach and adapt it with our offense from last year,” Taylor Lewan said.

This makes me a little warm and fuzzy inside.  I'm not a NE/BB & TB homer or hater, and I know some feel that Vrabel and JRob are trying the NE South routine.  BUT the one thing about NE is that they gameplay like a Grand Master Chess Player.

The way I see it Smith might have this in him:

1.   Knows all the players.

2.  Has seen said players in a couple of offensives and knows what they excel at, and should have a reasonable idea of what will, should, could, & couldn't,  work.

3.  Reports are that he is a tape/scouting student of opponents.

I get he is going to be most likely overwhelmed calling plays for the first time, but if he applies his study/analysis of game tapes as well as I've read and incorporates this into his knowledge of players executing plays we could end up with a dynamic offense structured to exploit our opponents weaknesses vs running "our O" do or die.

Anyone post this yet? Several good quotes from Vrabel.

“The foundation is going to stay the same. There’s going to be things that we want to do differently. Being able to get guys lined up quickly, hear the same terminology going into our second year is going to be really critical, and I am excited to watch the growth from our players. And whatever else we try to add that maybe we didn’t do as much of."

https://www.titansonline.com/news/from-the-senior-bowl-what-hiring-arthur-smith-as-oc-means-for-qb-marcus-mariota-