We need a new overtime rule again for playoffs

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Defense is part of your team, KC's defense failed them    No changes needed 

The current rules are fine. If teams can’t win it outright in 60 minutes and then give up a quick TD in OT then they don’t deserve to win.

Both teams deserve to touch the ball good grief... Any thoughts? Possibly eliminate extra points..... Allow both teams at least one possession each.... Field Goals still allowed “..... Maybe just forc

Just now, siamesedinasour said:

I think that 52% is based on when both teams get the ball, but I could be wrong.

It's not. The only controversial thing about it is that it might not be factoring in ties, but I couldn't see anything definitive about it. 

29 minutes ago, siamesedinasour said:

Where did you get that? The last figures I saw showed that the coin flip loser doesn't even get the ball in about 22% of OTs.

And all that is saying that if a defense get's their offense the ball back after losing the flip, they are more likely to win the game than lose.

If those numbers are true, I believe that would mean that 61% of teams that get the ball back have won the game. The fact that the final number is pretty damn even is all you need to know about the system being fine.

Edited by wiscotitansfan

On 1/25/2019 at 5:53 AM, oldschool said:

You think the coin toss winner scores a TD 78% of the time?

Where on earth are you getting that? He’s saying that 22% of the time the coin toss winner scores a TD their initial drive

I’d like to know the stats how how many times the 2nd team has a game winning drive their first attempt... I’d be astonished if it’s close to the same 22%, my guess is that it’s probably like 35%

Edited by wiscotitansfan

2 hours ago, wiscotitansfan said:

Where on earth are you getting that? He’s saying that 22% of the time the coin toss winner scores a TD their initial drive

I’d like to know the stats how how many times the 2nd team has a game winning drive their first attempt... I’d be astonished if it’s close to the same 22%, my guess is that it’s probably like 35%

I see it now; it was poorly worded. Regardless it's a dumb argument. Most teams get a chance to win in OT. Its not a problem.

A College rules variation for the NFL playoffs could be cool though.... And it doesn’t skew the regular season record books..... I think Mahomes got hosed and even if it was the Patriots who where in the same boat I would have TB12 would have deserved a shot...... All phases of the team deserve an equal opportunity to move forward and not have a coin affect the equality of the formula..... This is my opinion I’m not attempting to incite anyone whom believes the current system is sufficient...... Different strokes for different folks.......