Sign in to follow this  
ChesterCopperpot1

Arthur Smith promoted to OC

enigma   
10 minutes ago, tgo said:

I told you guys today was a good day to hire an OC!

Really though, good hire. 

Kind of weird how it was handled though.

It is weird! I mean...why not announce/promote him earlier (if it was what they had planned all along) so that they could have spoken to Wade Harman (as Oldshool suggested before he was hired by Denver)  about taking over?

Number9   
10 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

Would of loved to have found out who the other candidates they interviewed were, the lack of information just leads fans to be concerned it was another sham of a hiring process.

I started to post this morning that JR is running this show. No new hire is coming in changing things. 

22 minutes ago, titanskick8851 said:

Well we all thought this was likely the known outcome. Now we hope for the best!!

Arthur will probably want TJ Hockenson in the 1st and I am 100% behind it!

No, but don’t be surprised if the team doesn’t draft TE Donald Parham later on in the draft.

Jonboy   
4 minutes ago, heyitsmeallen said:

Idk why this Front office and ownership group seem to absolutely hate thorough coaching searches. When was the last time they interviewed more than 2 people for a job?

Last year. Vrabel, Wilks, and LaFleur. 

I get what you’re saying though. 

9 minutes ago, TitanDuckFan said:

Two things about this,...

Name a position group on the offense that's been stronger than Delanie and friends since Marcus was drafted.

Continuity is king when there are so many young players in both the WR room and the TE group.

9 minutes ago, TitanDuckFan said:

We'll see how it plays out, but I believe there are a ton of worse guys out there and inside the Titans as well.

O'Hara would have been among the worst IYAM.

If the best argument in favor of this is how well a group consisting of what, 4 players total yearly, did under him, I think that is not a very good one. 

And Smith did not make Delanie and we all have been criticizing how Jonnu had been a big disappointment until maybe week 12 this past season. 

I'm not knocking the hire, but I think this makes the MLF hire look pretty damn retarded and a waste....

7 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

Uhh last year. Vrabel, Wilks, and LaFleur. 

Wilks was just for Rooney rule. Vrabel was the front runner from the beginning and a lot of people speculated LaFleur was only interviewed to pick his brain for OC. This team is notorious for lackluster coaching searches. I’m fine with Smith if they think he’s the right guy but as a fan I would like to see them give themselves more options before making decisions. This promotion screams that they were denied by a few guys.

tgo   

I think there’s a decent chance Luke Steckel gets promoted to TE coach. He’s deserving of a promotion and coached TEs one year under Smith as his assisant. 

Otherwise, Todd Downing’s contract is expiring in Minnesota, so he’s a good option. Pariani (Kubiak’s friend) is replacing him. 

Geep Chryst is another great option. 

Or how about move Keith Carter to TE coach (he played TE and has coached TEs) and hire DeGuglielmo as OL coach hah! 

BudAdams   

Hiring from within made a ton of sense in order to avoid learning new terminology.  Saying that, who knows if Smith can call a game in the heat of battle as it's a different job than coaching TE's.  He deserves a shot.  I'd have felt the same if they would elevated any of the other assistants like O'Hara.

big2033   
3 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

Hiring from within made a ton of sense in order to avoid learning new terminology.  Saying that, who knows if Smith can call a game in the heat of battle as it's a different job than coaching TE's.  He deserves a shot.  I'd have felt the same if they would elevated any of the other assistants like O'Hara.

If Mariota fails we'll likely be getting a new OC and new QB.

30 minutes ago, TitanicoNFLriotFAN said:

Weird timing? Vrabel was hired on past January as well.

They could have hired Arthur Smith the day after MLF signed with Green Bay.