Arthur Smith promoted to OC

ChesterCopperpot1

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe since Mariota knows him he won't be afraid to tell him what plays he likes before mid season

LOL "Let's make 'em wait until after championship weekend to make them think we're doing a thorough search, and then...we pull the rug!!"   So fucking Titans.

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, big2033 said:

Give me a 1st round QB ruined or let down by coaching.

Jared Goff with Fisher. He looked terrible until Mcvay took over. Not a 1st rounder, but Foles is looking pretty close.

Steve Young would have been a nobody in Tampa. Rich Gannon didn't peak until Oakland. Jake Plummer is another who looked like a bust early on, but was a successful starter later on. Lots more fall into this category. 

Tim Couch and maybe David Carr are examples of guys who I think would have made it if they'd gone to good franchises, but of course that's impossible to know or prove, which is why this is a ridiculous request.

Just now, cenj said:

Jared Goff with Fisher. He looked terrible until Mcvay took over. Not a 1st rounder, but Foles is looking pretty close.

Steve Young would have been a nobody in Tampa. Rich Gannon didn't peak until Oakland. Jake Plummer is another who looked like a bust early on, but was a successful starter later on. Lots more fall into this category. 

Tim Couch and maybe David Carr are examples of guys who I think would have made it if they'd gone to good franchises, but of course that's impossible to know or prove, which is why this is a ridiculous request.

It's not a ridiculous request, and you just proved why with Steven Young, Goff and Foles.

I believe Carr and Couch were just flops.

Flops flop, good-to-great ones adapt and survive.

If Mariota's time isn't now maybe it'll be in the future. But that doesn't help us now does it? 

8 minutes ago, cenj said:

Its a circular argument and perfect for someone who just wants to argue, hence my response to his question with a question but that wasn't good enough for him.

Edited by Huston

4 minutes ago, Huston said:

Its a circular argument and perfect for someone who just wants to argue, hence my response to his question with a question but that wasn't good enough for him.

If it's a circular argument, why do you use it as an excuse? In the end, the ones that flop, flop. Speculating on who was to blame is useless unless you have a crystal ball or go back alter history.

In the end, it'll come down to what Mariota does or ... he's done. You wondering who did him wrong when he started helps nobody.

You don't know ultimately what's led to his downturn. Maybe it was coaches, maybe it was him ... it really doesn't matter, because he's not living up to his status and eventually we'll move on if he doesn't ... no matter who we want to blame.

That's my point.

Edited by big2033

You cant always blame coaches and you cant always blame players. I think we can watch a player and see their fundamentals and progressions and blaming Mariota's lack of progression on coaching is absurd. He' always had a hard time avoiding pressure in the pocket, this year was the worst Ive seen it. It was approaching Jake Locker lack of ability there. #2 is not anticipating windows being open for WRs. I think thats another reason why he holds onto the ball too long. Regardless of scheme you have to work within the pocket and read the defense two things I think he doesnt do well. Has nothing to do with scheme. 

2 minutes ago, big2033 said:

Flops flop, good-to-great ones adapt and survive.

If Mariota's time isn't now maybe it'll be in the future. But that doesn't help us now does it? 

I do think the great ones survive as long as they stay healthy, but there aren't many of them. And I tend to think that great coaching and organizations combined with a great talent is what makes some good prospects into multi-pro bowl type QBs. P. Manning would have been a pro bowl QB anywhere, but Eli? If he went to Cleveland, he'd have busted too.

Which goes to the next tier of good starting QBs. The reality is most QBs have good years and bad years, outside of those top 5 types. Aren't guys like Flacco and Matt Ryan considered non-busts? Yet they have hit or miss seasons. 

So the question is, can Mariota be that level of good QB who will have great seasons when things go well, and down years when they don't? Because that's what 90% of successful QBs do. 

3 minutes ago, cenj said:

I do think the great ones survive as long as they stay healthy, but there aren't many of them. And I tend to think that great coaching and organizations combined with a great talent is what makes some good prospects into multi-pro bowl type QBs. P. Manning would have been a pro bowl QB anywhere, but Eli? If he went to Cleveland, he'd have busted too.

Which goes to the next tier of good starting QBs. The reality is most QBs have good years and bad years, outside of those top 5 types. Aren't guys like Flacco and Matt Ryan considered non-busts? Yet they have hit or miss seasons. 

So the question is, can Mariota be that level of good QB who will have great seasons when things go well, and down years when they don't? Because that's what 90% of successful QBs do. 

Good assessment. It's really hard to see even that right now as, especially with Ryan, he's had a "wow" season. Mariota hasn't.

• Jonboy unpinned this topic