The importance of the Free and independent Press

Pragidealist

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Okay buddy. You and your ilk all trot out the same insane ramblings, barely literate sentences that only regurgitate the talk radio infused talking points you've been obsessed with ever since it becam

https://www.yahoo.com/news/apos-everybody-apos-bs-alarm-102751907.html Stronger than my opinion, but consistent with why the Special Counsel statement overrides the report, barring something more

The tenor of "the left" insofar as mainstream or institutional Democrats has been very tempered. You can't get a lot of these people to even say they'll start impeachment hearings or anything of the l

More recently, the entire journalism business model has been upended by the rise of the internet and, even more recently, social media. Suddenly anyone can be a news publisher, regardless of their expertise, sense of fairness, or motives. In this digital free-for-all, the Times can seem like just another website alongside a propaganda outfit like Breitbart News. And “fake news” from individual or state actors can spread like wildfire through Facebook, Twitter, and other similar outlets. In 1984, George Orwell could only imagine a tyrannical central government having the power to systematically undermine objective truth. Today we see that process happening organically through millions of social-media shares.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theconversation.com/amp/the-term-fake-news-is-doing-great-harm-100406

“Not only do different people have opposing views about the meaning of “fake news”, in practice the term undermines the intellectual values of democracy – and there is a real possibility that it means nothing. We would be better off if we stopped using it.”

22 minutes ago, Pragidealist said:

He doesn’t have to one. He knows I’m right but can’t admit it. Ego and stubbornness are too strong with this one. That’s ok - I can relate 

Sure he does.  But it's fool's gold.

You, being the champion of the free press while disparaging it at the same time.  It's clearly an emotional argument to me.  You need for the Buzzfeed article to be right.  That is the most obvious explanation for your response. 

Can we agree on one thing?  That Mueller's team isn't halfassing it?  That what public comments made are to be taken seriously?  

Edited by Rogue

14 minutes ago, Rogue said:

Sure he does.  But it's fool's gold.

You, being the champion of the free press while disparaging it at the same time.  It's clearly an emotional argument to me.  You need for the Buzzfeed article to be right.  That is the most obvious explanation for your response. 

Can we agree on one thing?  That Mueller's team isn't halfassing it?  That what public comments made are to be taken seriously?  

Are you reading anything I’m writing? Like any of it?

25 minutes ago, Pragidealist said:

Are you reading anything I’m writing? Like any of it?

Well, I'm reading you referencing a tyrannical government in response to an independent special counsel's comments to an article that you feel the need to defend.  Yeah, free press blah blah blah that a good 30% of you dismiss without even reading.  

What part do I have wrong?  

21 minutes ago, Rogue said:

Well, I'm reading you referencing a tyrannical government in response to an independent special counsel's comments to an article that you feel the need to defend.  Yeah, free press blah blah blah that a good 30% of you dismiss without even reading.  

What part do I have wrong?  

All of it. Read them again 

Prag is speaking from a different place than most of us. He isn’t wrong. I think he’s talking about an interesting point actually. The internet is working against the people at this point. If the left looks at the right sources (correctly I may add) and says it’s bullshit while the right says the left’s sources are fake news then it ends up an eternal echo chamber. 

Obama discussed this with Letterman. I worked for Google for a few years, and Obama was spot on with his take where the internet has become a self fulfilling entity. You will get your version of truth no matter where you look, be it Q, or lizard people, or MAGA, or police violence, or the drug war, or the war machine...etc. The validity of truth is being lost. 

To add: I also think Prag is talking about the overall movement toward autocracy currently taking place in the world. Democracy is being proven as inept and dysfunctional. It simply isn’t working any longer for a lot of reasons that we can discuss in other threads. Look at what’s happening in France and Britain, two of the pillars of Democracy. Look what’s happening around us. We legitimately have reason to believe our president is a foreign agent. All the while China made XI the ruler for life. Putin is in as long as he wants. The rise of fascism is all around us. A free press is what differentiates a free society, and I think that’s his point, but it’s working against us if we just begin accepting the government’s word and continue to disintegrate the free press in a manner where every source against our bias is false. 

I disagree with the stance what Jamal did was wrong. He wasn’t. He was being even handed and said it’s closed until further review. That’s fair when dealing with people like Thor, Ben, and Tux. Honestly he was pulling a Mueller by saying well not exactly so let’s nip it in the bud. 

Edited by IsntLifeFunny

9 hours ago, reo said:

Not exactly the intellectual response I'd expect.

Emotional freight trains don't brake so well. I'm not jumping in front of it with reason. You guys are in your feels. That it progressed to the creation of this thread makes me laugh.

Bullshit man - I’ve used nothing but reason and logic aside from a few friendly jabs to troll you a bit. You don’t have an argument against my actual premise and you know it. 

You cab only argue against what you incorrectly infer are my motives. You have no defense for my actual argument. 

Jamal all the years we’ve debated, you never seem to accept that sometimes (less often than I used to)- I simply get passionate about an idea or premise that is only tangentially related to a current event. 

You often misconstue my passion for that premise for an emotional attachment to the event. I am much more prone to get emotional attachments to abstract idealistic constructs than to even get excited about a single current event. 

Im often most frustrated (‘and troll the most) when people refuse or unable to engage on the construct. I get exceptionally frustrated with you because you’re one of the few on here who I respect in terms of ability to keep up in a good debate. Whether you choose to disagree, agree, or supplement that idea - it’s all good and would frustrate me a great deal less than your tendency to focus on incorrect inferences of motivation.