Sign in to follow this  
Starkiller

have i been pwned?

OzTitan   
2 minutes ago, klaatu- said:

It might not be a scam per se, but they just want you to buy their $60 a year service. A small price to pay for peace of mind! But really, if you've changed your password since the breach occurred then you're not compromised.

So the site is not owned by 1password - it's just a sponsorship deal.

I agree though it doesn't frame the 1passsword solution well - it's using a touch of FUD to try and make a buck. Where it helps is it encourages no password reuse (so being compromised on one site won't affect your other sites) through easier management of passwords (compared to just remembering them). It also makes it easier to use more complex passwords (same reason), so in the event it is compromised, there's a chance it will never be recovered anyway (depends on how the compromised service was storing it).

It existed well before these sorts of sponsorships, but it's super popular now so why not - if you use a password manager like 1password properly it's definitely improving your security posture so it's not snake oil.

abenjami   
On 1/19/2019 at 6:18 PM, Denali said:

So your point is that “[email protected]” was actually used by someone?

Many years ago, my old roommate listed his laptop for sale on Craigslist. 

The guy who bought it had the email [email protected]

True story. 

Edited by abenjami

On 1/21/2019 at 9:13 AM, Starkiller said:

I don’t have any problem with them having a reputable sponsorship deal. No one is forced to use it and for lots of people it would be a smart idea to get a password manager. 

Having a password manager in 2019 should be a no-brainer, in addition to letting it create insanely secure passwords for you.