If "So-and-So" doesn't work out...

charleytolar

... let's just spend a mid-round pick to solve the problem. I read this hear a lot-- most recently about Mariota's upcoming fifth year.

I'm closer to the SATISFIED end of the continuum with Mariota than many, but I'm not blind to his struggles and his frailties (literally). You gotta dance with the one you brung.

However the idea that instead we should just spend one mid-round pick and find his replacement is ludicrous.

Since 2006, we have drafted five QBs: Three in Round One (VY 1-3 in 2006, Locker 1-8 in 2011, and Mariota 1-2 in 2015) and two in Round Six (Mett 6-178 in 2014, Rusty Smith 6-176 in 2010, and Falk 6-199--- same spot as Brady-- in 2018) and our QB position is still in flux as we wait for the next chapter of the Mariota Saga.

Maybe a mid-round QB is the answer but you better grab one at least every other year. Keep the best and trade the rest. 

Instead we grab a Hasselbeck or a Fitzpatrick (should have kept him) or a  Whitehurst or a Cassell or a Gabbert and hope for the best.

Just now, Justafan said:

Didn’t we draft Rusty in there too? 7th if I remember right.

Yes. Thanks... another Sixth Round pick in 2010. We seem to be trying to re-create the Tom Brady Lightning Strike with those Sixth Round QBs...

1 minute ago, charleytolar said:

... let's just spend a mid-round pick to solve the problem. I read this hear a lot-- most recently about Mariota's upcoming fifth year.

I'm closer to the SATISFIED end of the continuum with Mariota than many, but I'm not blind to his struggles and his frailties (literally). You gotta dance with the one you brung.

However the idea that instead we should just spend one mid-round pick and find his replacement is ludicrous.

Since 2006, we have drafted five QBs: Three in Round One (VY 1-3 in 2006, Locker 1-8 in 2011, and Mariota 1-2 in 2015) and two in Round Six (Mett 6-178 in 2014 and Falk 6-199--- same spot as Brady-- in 2018) and our QB position is still in flux as we wait for the next chapter of the Mariota Saga.

Maybe a mid-round QB is the answer but you better grab one at least every other year. Keep the best and trade the rest. 

Instead we grab a Hasselbeck or a Fitzpatrick (should have kept him) or a  Whitehurst or a Cassell or a Gabbert and hope for the best.

I agree. I think its so stupid people throw that out there all the time. I mean theres been a success story in every round at every position. Hoping to find a middle round pick to be a franchise QB is just naive. 

1 minute ago, headhunter said:

I agree. I think its so stupid people throw that out there all the time. I mean theres been a success story in every round at every position. Hoping to find a middle round pick to be a franchise QB is just naive. 

Sadly, it is more complex than that. Many high First Round picks have also bombed... and not just ours! To me the QB is a position that you have to over-invest in solving.

1 hour ago, charleytolar said:

Since 2006, we have drafted five QBs: Three in Round One (VY 1-3 in 2006, Locker 1-8 in 2011, and Mariota 1-2 in 2015) and two in Round Six (Mett 6-178 in 2014, Rusty Smith 6-176 in 2010, and Falk 6-199--- same spot as Brady-- in 2018) and our QB position is still in flux as we wait for the next chapter of the Mariota Saga.

Just don't trade up for him, right Joel?

One of the bigger issues for mid round QBs is investment. There's only so many live snaps to go around.

Here's a common scenario for QB needy teams: a team drafts a guy in the 5th to be the 3rd string (because the coach wants a veteran #2 who knows the offense). He doesn't suit up for games and his duties are relegated to some reps with the scout team (none with starters). Teams want the extra roster spot, so the 3rd stringer yo-yos from practice squad to the 45 depending on injury. 

After a few years, the rookie contract is running out. At this point, one of a couple things happen:

A. the starter becomes a franchise QB, and they don't want to sign the developmental QB, so he bounces around to free agent purgatory trying to carve a niche as the veteran backup #2 QB (contending with failed 1st rounders and backup lifers who have actual starting experience).

B. The franchise QB busts, coaches get fired, and the 3rd stringer has to learn a new system under a new staff, who doesn't want him anyway. 

The way to develop a backup QB is with a franchise QB in place, with a consistent coach and scheme, and the ability to let the mid rounder learn slowly for several years in total stability. 

7 hours ago, WG53 said:

I would not call 6th rounders mid round picks.

I don't think I did either. My suggestion was to regularly spend mid-round picks on a QB because it's easier to find a FA RB or CB or OL or LB than a QB.

We've tried at the top of the draft (3 high first-rounders) and near the end (3 sixth-rounders) so maybe focus elsewhere.

Archived