Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Huston

Gerald McCoy

Recommended Posts

tgo   
17 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Also, they will have tape on Peas scheme with the Titans next year. Those dbl shotgun blitzes aren’t going to keep getting home. We have to have more pressure up the middle and on the outside. I think Landry will cover the outside, but Casey can’t do it on his own in the middle. 

Which is why you sign a stronger, more versatile DL like Suh, who can also two gap and play 5 tech and zero/one tech. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, tgo said:

Which is why you sign a stronger, more versatile DL like Suh, who can also two gap and play 5 tech and zero/one tech. 

Right. If we can get Suh then great. When that doesn’t happen you take a look at a guy who when healthy has always provided interior pressure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Face   
On 2/2/2019 at 8:27 AM, IsntLifeFunny said:

Hell, I’ll take a fat bastard who can stuff the run and occasionally put the center in the QB’s lap. Too much to ask? 

Danny Shelton was a force last night, he really came on the last few weeks to. Did you see his 1st step on the play he blasted the RB for the 3 yard loss? Insanely quick for a 340 pounder. 

 

I loved him coming out, he's been up & down since drafted, but at a minimum you'll get a 340 lb 2 gapper that shuts the run down. I think he's more then that though, there's just not many guys that size with that type of burst.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Face said:

Danny Shelton was a force last night, he really came on the last few weeks to. Did you see his 1st step on the play he blasted the RB for the 3 yard loss? Insanely quick for a 340 pounder. 

 

I loved him coming out, he's been up & down since drafted, but at a minimum you'll get a 340 lb 2 gapper that shuts the run down. I think he's more then that though, there's just not many guys that size with that type of burst.

I would love to pick him and Smith or Flowers up in FA, but that’s probably too much to ask. I think we likely go with a mid tier WR, mid tier OL, and likely a big splash on an OLB. If we can fit Shelton in there somehow I’m game even if he’s mainly a two down player. With as much Nickel as we run we need a run stuffer in the middle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tgo   
42 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

I would love to pick him and Smith or Flowers up in FA, but that’s probably too much to ask. I think we likely go with a mid tier WR, mid tier OL, and likely a big splash on an OLB. If we can fit Shelton in there somehow I’m game even if he’s mainly a two down player. With as much Nickel as we run we need a run stuffer in the middle. 

Not at all too much to ask. We’ll have about 50M in cap space and its time to start playing in playoff games again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ctm   
13 minutes ago, tgo said:

Not at all too much to ask. We’ll have about 50M in cap space and its time to start playing in playoff games again. 

Spotrac put the Titans cap space at 34.6M for the top 51 plus the rookies.  Over the cap put it at 41.6M for the top 51.  Then the team has to pay 2 more players to get to 53 plus the practice squad.  Call that an extra 2M.  If you then split the difference between the two numbers you end up around  36M.  Keep in mind that JRob won't spend all of that.  He has to keep money in reserve for players that go on IR.  He also likes to keep space in reserve in case a player comes open late in the process.  He also has a history of rolling over space, year to year.

 

I'd count on one quality starter type player and a few depth guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tgo   
36 minutes ago, ctm said:

Spotrac put the Titans cap space at 34.6M for the top 51 plus the rookies.  Over the cap put it at 41.6M for the top 51.  Then the team has to pay 2 more players to get to 53 plus the practice squad.  Call that an extra 2M.  If you then split the difference between the two numbers you end up around  36M.  Keep in mind that JRob won't spend all of that.  He has to keep money in reserve for players that go on IR.  He also likes to keep space in reserve in case a player comes open late in the process.  He also has a history of rolling over space, year to year.

 

I'd count on one quality starter type player and a few depth guys.

 

40FB30C7-E865-43EB-96EA-835850E4496E.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tgo   
1 minute ago, ctm said:

Do you dispute the numbers?

Haha slightly. It’s going to be about 43-45M before a potential Cyprien cut I believe with the new cap number now released by the league (191-192M).

 

I think Robinson likes to leave about 15-18M in space for rookies and breathing room. So you’re definitely right that the spending number will be lower. 

 

They’ll probably want to extend Byard too.

 

But nevertheless, 3 “reasonably” priced starters can be had in FA. And I expect that Robinson’s trend of signing three starting caliber players per offseason on averafe  will hold true. And probably 5 “notable” free agents including meaningful reserves. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ctm   
18 minutes ago, tgo said:

Haha slightly. It’s going to be about 43-45M before a potential Cyprien cut I believe with the new cap number now released by the league (191-192M).

 

I think Robinson likes to leave about 15-18M in space for rookies and breathing room. So you’re definitely right that the spending number will be lower. 

 

They’ll probably want to extend Byard too.

 

But nevertheless, 3 “reasonably” priced starters can be had in FA. And I expect that Robinson’s trend of signing three starting caliber players per offseason on averafe  will hold true. And probably 5 “notable” free agents including meaningful reserves. 

Ok, now we know your original 50m number was wrong.  Where is the 43-45m number coming from? My numbers, as I posted, are the average of spotrac and over the cap.

 

I would also point out that the team signed Butler, Lewis and B. Logan for a combined 2018 cap hit of 14M.  And iirc, they started out with about 55M when they signed those 3 guys.  Now they start out with about 20M less in cap space.

Edited by ctm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tgo   
23 minutes ago, ctm said:

Ok, now we know your original 50m number was wrong.  Where is the 43-45m number coming from? My numbers, as I posted, are the average of spotrac and over the cap.

 

I would also point out that the team signed Butler, Lewis and B. Logan for a combined 2018 cap hit of 14M.  And iirc, they started out with about 55M when they signed those 3 guys.  Now they start out with about 20M less in cap space.

The cap is estimated to be 191-192M rather than the lower amount listed by Sportrac. If you cut Cyprien it’s closer to 50M. 

 

Yeah, combined cap hit in year 1. But Butler’s contract average per year alone is 12M. Lewis’ is at 5 per year. But yes, the Titans are very good at structuring contracts to have low year 1 cap hits.  

 

They also offered Suh a 1 year 15M contract if you remember. 

 

And what else happened last offseason? They signed Lewan to the largest OL contract in history. 

 

You can take this to the bank: they’re going to sign at least two major starters, probably 3. 

 

Robinson has never not signed at least 3 starters in FA, and that’s unlikely to change now, esp with the holes on the roster at OLB and WR that demand veteran signings. 

 

Edited by tgo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ctm   

Spotrac:  34.6M for top 51+ draft pool

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tennessee-titans/cap/

 

Over the cap:  41.6M for top 51

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

 

These are the exact numbers I posted above.  @tgo where are your 43-45m numbers coming from?

 

Btw, cutting Cyprien saves 5.25M but then you have to sign Vaccaro.  Doing so certainly doesn't increase available cap space to 50M.

 

In addition, Lewan's 5th year option was scheduled to have a cap hit of 9.34M.  His new contract of last year had a cap hit of 10.7M.  So not a lot of increase cap wise last year.  It will be entirely different next year with Byard when his cap hit will jump significantly.

Edited by ctm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GOAT9   
On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 10:33 AM, headhunter said:

Just repeating what they saying. Its not like I watch Bucs games

I keep up with the Bucs. (I spend a lot of time in Clearwater right outside Tampa.) He is still good but he is on the downhill. I don't think we should take him. He is not Calais Campbell and he is not as versatile like he used to be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tgo   
14 minutes ago, ctm said:

Spotrac:  34.6M for top 51+ draft pool

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tennessee-titans/cap/

 

Over the cap:  41.6M for top 51

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

 

These are the exact numbers I posted above.  @tgo where are your 43-45m numbers coming from?

 

Btw, cutting Cyprien saves 5.25M but then you have to sign Vaccaro.  Doing so certainly doesn't increase available cap space to 50M.

The adjusted cap number after roll over is right at 217 with the league estimated 191-192M total cap. The top 51 contracts for the the Titans is 173M. 915k in dead money 

 

217-173-1M equals 43M. 

 

I track this stuff in a spreadsheet based on NFL and NFLPA numbers. 

 

And obviously you have to sign Vaccaro if Cyprien is released. 

 

When someone says “We have 43M in cap space” that does not equate to “we have 43M to spend on free agents from other teams.” 

 

And I know what Sportrac says, I research contracts on the site almost every day. Also, I’m not including the draft pool in total cap space.

 

Draft pool is still part of total cap space. It’s a given that 6-8M or so of your cap

space per year is tied up in rookie deals. 

 

Any other questions? 

Edited by tgo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...