If you need a reminder.......

Bongo59

2 minutes ago, TitanDuckFan said:

He is saying Delanie and Matthews both had the best years of their careers with Marcus throwing them passes.  And that's true.

Both did so with well over 800 yards.

Matthews had 114 yards against Houston with Cassell at QB.  The second most  during his time at TN.  And Walker's production during the 4 games '15 with whoever the was the backup was right in line with Mariota.  Maybe the guys are just good and can produce with any QB?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Corey Davis had 9 catches 161 yards and the game winning TD vs the Eagles

LOL, Bongo still trying to push that Anti-Davis agenda.

Davis would look great with Brees.

Just now, abc2330 said:

Matthews had 114 yards against Houston with Cassell at QB.  The second most  during his time at TN.  And Walker's production during the 4 games '15 with whoever the was the backup was right in line with Mariota.  Maybe the guys are just good and can produce with any QB?

Cherry picking a few games doesn't change the fact that they weren't drafted here and reached there peaks with Marcus at QB once they came to the Titans.

12 minutes ago, TitanDuckFan said:

He is saying Delanie and Matthews both had the best years of their careers with Marcus throwing them passes.  And that's true.

Both did so with well over 800 yards.

Exactly, in a run first offense.

Just now, Huston said:

Cherry picking a few games doesn't change the fact that they weren't drafted here and reached there peaks with Marcus at QB once they came to the Titans.

The "peak" of a receiver is directly tied to the ability of the QB.  If you're stuck with shit QBs like Ryan Tannehill ,Alex Smith, Jake Locker, and Zach Mettenberger, then you're peak will be fairly low.  

Just now, abc2330 said:

The "peak" of a receiver is directly tied to the ability of the QB.  If you're stuck with shit QBs like Ryan Tannehill ,Alex Smith, Jake Locker, and Zach Mettenberger, then you're peak will be fairly low.  

So you think Walker and Mathews didn't play up to their potential because Marcus was throwing them the ball lol.

3 minutes ago, abc2330 said:

The system they play in is more of a factor as long as the QB is capable.

6 minutes ago, abc2330 said:

He had nearly 900 yards with that QB mess in 2014.  I think that he's capable of over 1,000 on an annual basis.

When he made it to the Pro Bowl in the 2015 season with 1,088 yds he was asked what he attributed his success that year to.

He answered that it was Marcus Mariota throwing him passes.

Take that any way you like, but that's straight from his lips.

He led all NFL TEs in number of receptions that year, was #3 in TE reception yards, and was the #2 TE in receptions for a 1st down.

It's a position that for years has been Gronk 1st, and then there's everyone else.  DW doesn't need to apologize for anything.  The fact that he credits Mariota for a significant amount of his success tells me you're just full of shit.

8 minutes ago, Huston said:
13 minutes ago, Huston said:

So you think Walker and Mathews didn't play up to their potential because Marcus was throwing them the ball lol.

What if it is the other way around, and Mariota is only capable of getting a receiver to under 1,000?  That kind if goes along with what we've seen from him- his floor and ceiling aren't that far apart.

4 minutes ago, TitanDuckFan said:

When he made it to the Pro Bowl in the 2015 season with 1,088 yds he was asked what he attributed his success that year to.

He answered that it was Marcus Mariota throwing him passes.

Take that any way you like, but that's straight from his lips.

He led all NFL TEs in number of receptions that year, was #3 in TE reception yards, and was the #2 TE in receptions for a 1st down.

It's a position that for years has been Gronk 1st, and then there's everyone else.  DW doesn't need to apologize for anything.  The fact that he credits Mariota for a significant amount of his success tells me you're just full of shit.

Mariota had a solid rookie season, of course Walker is going to be hyped.  The problem is that he hasn't improved and the rest of the league figured him out.  It's clear from Walker's comments in recent years that he feels like his numbers don't represent the quality of player that he is.

7 minutes ago, abc2330 said:

What if

Face it moron, that's all you've really got.

You're ignoring all that we've seen, everything the stats show, everything about Mularkey we were warned about, and arguing your narrow minded speculation.

"What if" indeed.

"What if" I put you on ignore?

Then I won't have to look at your dumbass speculative arguments!

Mission accomplished.

9 hours ago, Soxcat said:

I was thinking..... hmmm, I bet it has something to do with how many times a WR or TE is targeted.  As in WRs with 100 catches get targeted 150-160 times.  Not really rocket science.  Now you could say a real good WR is always open and thus targeted more which is true.  But Mariota's talent level does not warrant that many passes.  Nor does his talent level result in that many first downs where we can run more plays and extend drives.  So bottom line is if a WR wants to put up some decent looking stats for catches and yards Mariota is not the choice of QBs.

Talent level...if you want to say he couldn't make some of the throws he normally makes this year due to the injury then ok but your contradicting yourself when talking about number of targets. We run a run first offense so that limits the number of targets but a better QB would manufacture more targets because he is more accurate? Wouldn't that show in the number of targets caught.

Edited by Huston

16 hours ago, Mythos27 said:

You're accusing people of making excuses for Davis but the reality is that you're actually down-playing some very legitimate reasons because they're inconvenient for the narrative you're pushing. Do you deny that if Davis had been drafted to NO, PITT, or ATL that he'd have like 500 more career receiving yards? How do you produce at an elite level when you're QB is either out or hurt more than half the time? What adversity have guys like JuJu and Ridley have to overcome since being drafted? Exactly. 

You're also removing all context from the Davis pick. We needed WR help badly. Of the 3 top WR that were expected to go in the first round J-Rob decided that CD was the best and that he would have to  take him really early. He was right on both counts as the next best WR was gone 2 picks later.  Unless you had a crystal ball and knew JuJu would be what he's become, J-Rob made the right call. Is Davis a top 5 WR pick in every draft probably not but in that one he had to be and I would argue he's still a top 10 in most classes.

No they are excuses because you can only blame so much on injuries. If he was on the IR it would be one thing. He wasn't. And im pretty consistent about that as well. Try to find me listening to the "Mariota nerve injury" shit excuses. Sure they can get some slack but that only gets you so far before its no longer valid. 

Yes, I deny that Davis would put up Michael Thomas numbers in NO. Thomas had to catch 85% of his passes to do that, Davis wouldn't come near. And of course I don't think Davis would produce more in Ridley's spot. Otherwise I wouldn't mention Ridley. Again, Ridley had to make the most of limited opportunities to do what he did. He might be able to do what Schuster did in PITT but I don't watch enough of them to say. 

No, and that's the whole argument. Most people on here all the way back to when Davis was drafted said don't do it at 5. JR making the right call is your opinion and that's fine. But Bongo and anybody else that thinks the opposite is just as right and the circlejerk crew of this forum can stop ganging up on people just because said person doesn't agree with them. 

8 hours ago, Soxcat said:

I was thinking..... hmmm, I bet it has something to do with how many times a WR or TE is targeted.  As in WRs with 100 catches get targeted 150-160 times.  Not really rocket science.  Now you could say a real good WR is always open and thus targeted more which is true.  But Mariota's talent level does not warrant that many passes.  Nor does his talent level result in that many first downs where we can run more plays and extend drives.  So bottom line is if a WR wants to put up some decent looking stats for catches and yards Mariota is not the choice of QBs.

The number of times someone is targeted has to do with the reads designed into the play within the offensive system being run. The #1 WR is most often the 1st read which is why they usually receive the most targets. Coincidentally HBs are most often the #5 read which is why they usually get the least targets. Of course this varies by team and of course some teams throw more than others. so a #2 read can get more targets than a #1 on other teams in some cases.

This is why I used Ridley. He was either #2 or #3 read while Davis was #1. As expected he had fewer targets, however he had almost the same yardage, higher catch %, and a lot more TDs. Its not just in the stats. You can see it if you watch them as well. Ridley has better hands and his route running is extremely smooth. Go watch the play of him burning Kirkpatrick for a 30 yard TD. He makes Kirkpatrick look like Ryan Mouton guarding Randy Moss. Davis is better at using his body than Ridley but that doesn't help him so much when he drops as much as he does. Im not really sure who is faster. I feel like Davis might be but Ridley is so good with his routes that he appears faster. 

15 hours ago, abc2330 said:

Harry Douglas was a 1,000 yard receiver with Matt Ryan.  Don't be an idiot.

Are you serious? Julio was on the IR. Douglas got the most passes on the team, well over 100. Take your own advice.