Sign in to follow this  
Face

PFF top 101-Kyler ranked 2nd

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/college-top-101-best-college-football-players-in-2018

This isn't a draft list,  just their top 101. But 90-95% is. I know PFF has its detractors, I've always liked their stuff. They have their flaws, but I bet if you look back 5 years, they've outperformed just about every other media source in terms of hits & misses at the pro level. I think sometimes they may value college production a bit too much over upside potential, but that's really it.

Anyway they obviously have Williams 1, and the thread title gives away 2. But Christian Wilkins at 3 surprised me. I always thought he was just good. Good run player, good rusher, good attributes. Except this year he went from good to great at all these things

BTW obviously Bosa would be 1 or 2 but didn't play.

I'm not exactly sure how the FO/staff sees things, it's not like we have any horrible, glaring needs, but  it's pretty safe to say the front 7 sans ILB, WR, and maybe interior OL are where we'll most likely focus....

Bryce Love, the RB from Stanford, is not on the list? Andy Isabella is #6? Dwayne Haskins.... #30? This certainly offers a different perspective...

27 minutes ago, charleytolar said:

Bryce Love, the RB from Stanford, is not on the list? Andy Isabella is #6? Dwayne Haskins.... #30? This certainly offers a different perspective...

Bryce Love was ordinary this year for Stanford, he also suffered a torn ACL in his final game.

Given how much Vrabel loves his analytics a guy like Jerry Tillery stands out in those PFF Rankings as someone to watch at pick #19.

Look at those pass rushing stats for an interior DL guy.

15. Jerry Tillery, Defensive Interior, Notre Dame

Tillery utilized his hand speed and brute power to disrupt the passing attack of opponents like no other in 2018, leading the nation’s interior defensive linemen with his 92.5 pass-rush grade. He brought down 47 QB pressures on his 413 pass-rushes, winning 19.1% of his pass-rush snaps in a figure that is second only to Quinnen Williams. Tillery was his best against the pass but had shining moments against the run as well, proving he wasn’t just a one-trick pony in the middle of the Fighting Irish defense.

Edited by AussieTitanFan08

2 hours ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

Given how much Vrabel loves his analytics a guy like Jerry Tillery stands out in those PFF Rankings as someone to watch at pick #19.

Tillery utilized his hand speed and brute power to disrupt the passing attack of opponents like no other in 2018, leading the nation’s interior defensive linemen with his 92.5 pass-rush grade. He brought down 47 QB pressures on his 413 pass-rushes, winning 19.1% of his pass-rush snaps in a figure that is second only to Quinnen Williams. Tillery was his best against the pass but had shining moments against the run as well, proving he wasn’t just a one-trick pony in the middle of the Fighting Irish defense.

Tillery reminds me of another ND product, Stephon Tuitt. Which would be a great addition. I would love to be able to get a pass rush from our down lineman consistently.

4 hours ago, headhunter said:

Id like to go DL too but every year Pees was DC not one DL was drafted in the first round with the Pats and Ravens. May mean nothing.

I am starting to think about this more as well. Could be OLB and then DL in the 2nd.

On 1/12/2019 at 5:31 AM, AussieTitanFan08 said:

Aussie this is my favorite after Dexter Lawrence. And by favorite I mean both ways, I love the player & I think there's a good chance he's the pick. He's an almost perfect fit. He's a pass rushing 5 tech with great size & length, but the key is what they say at the top...he rushes with power & hand usage.  Tillery is a guy who gets to the QB while maintaining gap discipline. He's also a very good run player. He reminds me a bit of Chris Jones, though he doesn't quite have Jones power & explosiveness. 

Jeffrey Simmons is another guy that really is an almost perfect fit.

At the end of the day though I just find Dex Lawrence too tantalizing. When you look at the most dominant defensive players throughout the years they almost all have off the charts measurables. If Lawrence does some of the things he's rumored to do at the combine, when paired with his production at that size, it's tough to pass on him. Especially with the scheme we run.

2 minutes ago, Face said:

Aussie this is my favorite after Dexter Lawrence. And by favorite I mean both ways, I love the player & I think there's a good chance he's the pick. He's an almost perfect fit. He's a pass rushing 5 tech with great size & length, but the key is what they say at the top...he rushes with power & hand usage.  Tillery is a guy who gets to the QB while maintaining gap discipline. He's also a very good run player. He reminds me a bit of Chris Jones, though he doesn't quite have Jones power & explosiveness. 

Jeffrey Simmons is another guy that really is an almost perfect fit.

At the end of the day though I just find Dex Lawrence too tantalizing. When you look at the most dominant defensive players throughout the years they almost all have off the charts measurables. If Lawrence does some of the things he's rumored to do at the combine, when paired with his production at that size, it's tough to pass on him. Especially with the scheme we run.

I would take Simmons over Tillery/Lawrence, although given his past I doubt he will even be on our draft board.

I just hope JRob can fill our immediate needs at OLB/LG/Veteran WR in FA, that way he can go BPA in the draft.

5 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

I would take Simmons over Tillery/Lawrence, although given his past I doubt he will even be on our draft board.

I just hope JRob can fill our immediate needs at OLB/LG/Veteran WR in FA, that way he can go BPA in the draft.

I have to say though, I did find it interesting that we've shown so much interest in Khalen Saunders, whose pretty much a gap shooting 3 tech type. Makes me think the staff might be looking for more pass rush & explosiveness from the interior DL then I thought, as opposed to bigger, nose tackle types to clog up the blockers.

Just now, Face said:

I have to say though, I did find it interesting that we've shown so much interest in Khalen Saunders, whose pretty much a gap shooting 3 tech type. Makes me think the staff might be looking for more pass rush & explosiveness from the interior DL then I thought, as opposed to bigger, nose tackle types to clog up the blockers.

That is just the way the NFL is going, more and more teams are rushing 4 and dropping 7 on passing downs.

There is no doubt we have to get more explosive on the IDL, Jones/Johnson/Logan were run stuffers and not much more this year.

7 hours ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

Finding 3 starters in free agency is a huge task. I think the priority will be to find a vet WR and fill the other two spots with the top 2 draft picks.

Edge rushers are fairly deep and look to have value about where we will be picking.  So we may snag the guy opposite Landry in this draft.  I can see our 1st and 2nd round picks being Edge and DT and it just depends on who is available in the 1st what order we go. 

So imagine this scenario.  We draft potential starters at DT and Edge in rounds 1 and 2.  If JRob picks those guys right the rest of the draft is icing on the cake. 

The Titans have gone to WV to watch Grier and I think he will be on the radar in the 2nd or 3rd. 

Someone to keep an eye on if you're looking at QBs. 

Just now, tgo said:

The Titans have gone to WV to watch Grier and I think he will be on the radar in the 2nd or 3rd. 

Someone to keep an eye on if you're looking at QBs. 

Theres no doubt in my mind they wont go into next season relying on Mariota to be 100% and be fundamentally sound.