An early look at Drew Lock

Justafan

I know a lot of people have been hating on this year's QB class.  Here is one guy that I think could be an even better pro than he was in college.  Scouts have reported that Lock has a legit arm.  He's played the last three years in a pro-style offense and he's gotten better at it each year.  He has plus athleticism but his most impressive trait is how much he just looks and feels like an NFL QB playing in college.  

He elevated the players around him, he played against good competition (did struggle against Alabama), played in a system that got him ready for the pros, he has good measurables, was a 3-year starter at a big-time school, has very good arm talent, pretty good pocket awareness, and I just really like his game.

If the Titans were to decide to move on from Mariota (I don't think they will) this is a guy I hope they take a look at and very well could be available anywhere from top 10 all the way to the second round.  Another quiet leader but a smart kid and people around him rave about him.  No real off the field red flags, no big medical concerns.  

Curious what some of our amateur evaluators here at Titansreport think of this kid.  I'm still making my way through videos and playing catchup with these prospects but so far, he's the QB who stands out the most to me.

27 minutes ago, scine09 said:

No thank you.  When I think of him I think of Paxton Lynch.

I understand people will disagree on prospects but Paxton Lynch?  Lynch was a scrambler with a below average arm and Lock is a pocket passer with just enough athleticism to take off and has a big time arm.  They also played in completely different systems with Lynch being more of a zone-read type guy coming out and lock being more of a traditional drop back guy.

23 minutes ago, SleepingTitan said:

You can tell he has a superb are, as he doesn't step into his throws. I don't like his mechanics at all. Quick release though. Stares down receivers. Got some work to do, but the talent is there. 

He does have poor mechanics and some work to do but what prospect doesn't coming out?  

Just now, Justafan said:

I understand people will disagree on prospects but Paxton Lynch?  Lynch was a scrambler with a below average arm and Lock is a pocket passer with just enough athleticism to take off and has a big time arm.  They also played in completely different systems with Lynch being more of a zone-read type guy coming out and lock being more of a traditional drop back guy.

I haven't watched much of him.  Just the first guy who comes to mind.

Watching these highlights plus the highlights from Murray, it's insane how little pressure there is in the college game. I keep looking for these guys to step up and throw in muddied pockets, but they rarely have to because the protection is so good (pass rush so bad?). You put on an NFL tape of virtually any game and it's crazy how much faster the pressure starts to get there. 

4 hours ago, Jonboy said:

Watching these highlights plus the highlights from Murray, it's insane how little pressure there is in the college game. I keep looking for these guys to step up and throw in muddied pockets, but they rarely have to because the protection is so good (pass rush so bad?). You put on an NFL tape of virtually any game and it's crazy how much faster the pressure starts to get there. 

Watch the Alabama game.  They got beat and it was one of his worst games as a starter.  He still looks like an NFL QB.  He has to take a big step but he excites me as much as any QB coming out this year that I've looked at thus far.  

Edited by Justafan