Kyler Murray now expected to enter the NFL draft

AussieTitanFan08

After a cursory review....Murray is obviously an electrifying playmaker, but his passing ability doesn’t jump off the page like it did with Mayfield last year or Russell Wilson when he came out.

(Speaking of which:  for anyone who doesn’t remember or never saw them, I suggest going back and watching Wilson’s college highlights.  It’s ridiculous that he fell to round 3.)

I find Murray reminiscent of a better and more explosive Seneca Wallace...but well short of Mayfield or Wilson.  The question is whether teams see him as  a starting-caliber QB at the NFL level or more of a borderline starter/backup tweener.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Funny how things line up some times (not saying the Cards would take Murray at #1)    

Foles/Murray, 2019!

The fifth year option for QBs is one of the worst deals in all of sports. I’m not sure why so many can’t understand that. You’re paying someone you aren’t going to extend 95% of the time. If you do extend him it’s at a huge rate. If you want to keep him you end up with Kurt Cousins franchise route. I can’t get why this is a hard concept to grasp. 

9 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

The fifth year option for QBs is one of the worst deals in all of sports. I’m not sure why so many can’t understand that. You’re paying someone you aren’t going to extend 95% of the time. If you do extend him it’s at a huge rate. If you want to keep him you end up with Kurt Cousins franchise route. I can’t get why this is a hard concept to grasp. 

But the Redskins were dumb to keep Cousins.

I know what you're saying, but it all depends what your longterm plans are.

If you're worried that Mariota plays healthy and we just sign him longterm in 2019, well, then you're right to be worried about spending more than we should.

But I would hope JRob and the FO want to see more than a healthy season and 19TDs and 7ints before paying big money.

Mariota has to ball out.

Edited by big2033

13 minutes ago, nine said:

After a cursory review....Murray is obviously an electrifying playmaker, but his passing ability doesn’t jump off the page like it did with Mayfield last year or Russell Wilson when he came out.

(Speaking of which:  for anyone who doesn’t remember or never saw them, I suggest going back and watching Wilson’s college highlights.  It’s ridiculous that he fell to round 3.)

I find Murray reminiscent of a better and more explosive Seneca Wallace...but well short of Mayfield or Wilson.  The question is whether teams see him as  a starting-caliber QB at the NFL level or more of a borderline starter/backup tweener.

I thought the ball jumped off his hand in terms of velocity at least, I don't know his other intangibles as a passer.

5 minutes ago, big2033 said:

But the Redskins were dumb to keep Cousins.

I know what you're saying, but it all depends what your longterm plans are.

They were dumb not to keep Cousins. They should have extended him instead of paying all that money only to lose him. 

I think Murray is a lock for the #2 QB spot in the draft. He gets to capitalize on a terrible draft class. I like him as a football player. He is a great athlete and college QB. I think he can have success as an NFL QB. If someone develops a scheme around him, he can be pretty good. 

3 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

They were dumb not to keep Cousins. They should have extended him instead of paying all that money only to lose him. 

They were dumb to keep him period. It led them nowhere, now Shannahan is fighting for his job.

I'm saying I hope the Titans don't fall into the "well, we got nobody better ..." trap and commit to someone they don't really want to commit to. Make an effort to get your next guy in.

Edited by big2033

5 minutes ago, big2033 said:

They were dumb to keep him period. It led them nowhere, now Shannahan is fighting for his job.

I'm saying I hope the Titans don't fall into the "well, we got nobody better ..." trap and commit to someone they don't really want to commit to. Make an effort to get your next guy in.

Correct, which is why you either extend Mariota at a discount or draft your QB this year and cut him. No need to pussyfoot with mediocrity. 

1 minute ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Correct, which is why you either extend Mariota at a discount or draft your QB this year and cut him. No need to pussyfoot with mediocrity. 

Unfortunately, it's not the best draft to do this and I believe Mariota deserves one more chance. Yes, even I believe this. Let him walk next year draft your guy and bring your table setter.

By the way, maybe they find the QB they want and cut bait now. But that only happens if the opportunity presents itself.

Edited by big2033

4 minutes ago, big2033 said:

Unfortunately, it's not the best draft to do this and I believe Mariota deserves one more chance. Yes, even I believe this. Let him walk next year draft your guy and bring your table setter.

By the way, maybe they find the QB they want and cut bait now. But that only happens if the opportunity presents itself.

Agreed. If it doesn’t then I extend MM and hope he proves himself. Maybe it doesn’t make sense to most, but there’s simply no way it is the best option to let him ride out the fifth year, he has a good year, and then we pay him a ton of money or go the franchise route. If we end up in a franchise route or extending him next year then we fucked up. 

If the talk of some NFL GMs loving Murray is accurate and one of them happens to be JR, I could see it happening at 19. It seems a remote possibility though.

To me the height isn't so much a concern as the general size - once you get to about 6 foot and under the challenges are probably much the same. But how does he take a 260lb DE or 300lb DT coming down on him? He won't be able to dart away from every hit. It could be less of a concern in reality (most QBs are already a lot smaller, does a few pounds really make a difference)?

12 hours ago, TWR said:

Absolutely not a better passer than Mayfield. That premise is wrong. Mayfield was making back shoulder throws, cross field out routes, progression throws. Murray has made some of each, yes, but no where near the consistency or volume that Baker did. I think the OU WRs probably all average over 10 yards + YAC per catch this season with all the crossers, swing passes and behind the LOS screen game they run. 

I challenge you to go back and watch Murray. I think his arm talent is more impressive than Mayfield's.. he can really zip and has a quick release.

5 minutes ago, titansfan said:

I challenge you to go back and watch Murray. I think his arm talent is more impressive than Mayfield's.. he can really zip and has a quick release.

You don’t have to challenge me. Go back and read this thread. I’m alresdy doing a deep dive on all games. 3 games through already. 

Mayfield was a more polished passer and made many more NFL level play calls and throws. 

Through 3 games Murray has made triple the amount of passss under 3 yards, at the LOS or behind it than he has downfield. When he does throw downfield the majority of time these guys are running WIDE OPEN. A lot of things that don’t correlate to the next level other than his size— this isn’t to say he won’t be a good NFL QB, he just doesn’t have the sample size to be a shoe in. 

Its a weak class and he will get overdrafted- teams would take Winston and Mariota over Murray if all in the same draft.

11 hours ago, nine said:

When I watched the Oklahoma vs. Bama game, I came away unimpressed with both Murray and Tua. More impressed with Murray because Bama has a better D than what he has faced prior. His problem is that he doesn’t make tough throws a lot and his pocket presence can be awful. Hell, he was escaping pressure in the Bama game and ran into his own player trying to decide if he wanted to go in or outside. 

I dont know how much I trust him early. He could develop into a great QB, but he is going to be a bit of a project coming out. 

2 hours ago, TWR said:

You don’t have to challenge me. Go back and read this thread. I’m alresdy doing a deep dive on all games. 3 games through already. 

Mayfield was a more polished passer and made many more NFL level play calls and throws. 

Through 3 games Murray has made triple the amount of passss under 3 yards, at the LOS or behind it than he has downfield. When he does throw downfield the majority of time these guys are running WIDE OPEN. A lot of things that don’t correlate to the next level other than his size— this isn’t to say he won’t be a good NFL QB, he just doesn’t have the sample size to be a shoe in. 

Its a weak class and he will get overdrafted- teams would take Winston and Mariota over Murray if all in the same draft.

So exactly how many passes under 3 yards did Mayfield have through 3 games?