Browns Hiring Freddie Kitchens for HC

tgo

2 minutes ago, oldschool said:

Current league trend. I like the move.

Who cares about trends?

It was the right move for the Browns because of Kitchens' relationship with Mayfield and because of his leadership and toughness. 

Regarding this hire - 

I had hoped the Browns would hire Stefanski and retain Kitchens. 

Now I'm hoping the Vikings retain Stefanski, as is kind of the indication from yesterday with Mularkey going to the Falcons. 

Because otherwise, he may be a legitimate candidate here. I think he'd be a very good OC and is good with the run game- but I think he'd be hired away next offseason and that would be incredibly detrimental. 

1 minute ago, tgo said:

Regarding this hire - 

I had hoped the Browns would hire Stefanski and retain Kitchens. 

Now I'm hoping the Vikings retain Stefanski, as is kind of the indication from yesterday with Mularkey going to the Falcons. 

Because otherwise, he may be a legitimate candidate here. I think he'd be a very good OC and is good with the run game- but I think he'd be hired away next offseason and that would be incredibly detrimental. 

3 minutes ago, tgo said:

Who cares about trends?

It was the right move for the Browns because of Kitchens' relationship with Mayfield and because of his leadership and toughness. 

You just explained the trend.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/09/gregg-williams-wont-be-back-in-cleveland/

Greg Williams Fired.

Cleveland.  I just said earlier, when you get picked high-you go to a bad organization.  Maybe as everybody but me is correct in thinking this is a great move, but I think it's at best shortsighted.  Right now, Cleveland has stumbled up on a very good roster.  A crap job has been raised to highly appealing job by Baker Mayfield.  But BM is not the sole reason the team is so attractive.  They have a lot of young great talent, pro bowl level talent.

Kitchens.  I don't profess to know a great deal about Freddie Kitchens.   I don't think everybody, no anybody saying this is a good move would be happy if he was named Titans HC or even OC.  All day long I see posts saying ML is too raw, he's only called plays one year.  He ain't ready.  Now, Freddy Kitchens who has half a season as OC is the perfect guy.  ML connections to fill a staff have been questioned, what about Kitchens.

Kitchens was on one short list.  The Browns.  Now Kitchens need coaches.  Is he connected enough to get a ML to come as OC?  IDK why they couldn't retain the DC.  That seems like it would make a lot of sense, but I don't know how hard a bargain GW pushed.  What it looks like is the poorly run Browns got Mayfield.  He's a good young QB.  They just grabbed somebody to coach the organization.

Like the draft--we'll know in a few years if this was a good move.

1 hour ago, SleepingTitan said:

Browns will be turnt up 2019

25 minutes ago, JoelinBellevue said:

Williams had them playing great. Makes no sense.

They the Browns.  It's a feel good story.  Equipment Manager becomes head coach and inspires team to win the little league championship!

2 hours ago, tgo said:

I started to post about Greg W. being close to the Jets job.  I still think this is overly complicated by not keeping Williams.  Kitchens just got a big promotion to be interim OC.  It was working.  Now Kitchens has the responsibility to run the entire staff and the team.  Is he ready to move from RB coach into all this responsibility?  It just seems smarter to make him the OC, maybe give him a little extra to be Greg's flunky.  This way shakes up everything for a young team that was showing a lot of progress.  Maybe GW tried to squeeze the Browns for the permanent HC position or no dice.

Archived