Should JRob have hired LaFleur as Head Coach?

Tex in a Can

Should JRob have hired LaFleur as Head Coach last off season?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Should JRob have hired LaFleur as Head Coach last off season?

• Yes JROb should have hired LaFleur as the Head Coach last off season
    • No, JRob made the right decision to not hire LaFleur as the Head Coach last off season

20 hours ago, oldschool said:

I like vrabel but it's hard to argue against an offensive HC with the way the game is played now.

I don't look at Vrabel really as a defensive coach.  I look at him as a smart game manager who does a terrific job getting his guys to play for him and knows the rules inside and out.

How many coaches would have known enough to pull what he did against the Jets to help win the game and what he tried against the Giants at the end of the first half?  I can tell you three that wouldn't: Mike Munchak, Ken Whisenhunt and Mike Mularkey.  And I'm pretty sure if you go around the league you'll find few coaches who would have known enough to take a deliberate penalty to stop the clock and save a timeout.  That was one of the best in-game moves a coach has made in the league all year.

These are things that win and lose the close games.  Last year the Titans lost 3 games that could have easily been won with better game management/knowledge of the rules (Mia, SF, LAR).  The Titans did lose close games this year (every team does) but it had nothing to do with poor clock management or lack of knowledge of the rules.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No.  Vrabel is a terrific coach.  

No. I like Vrabel a lot and I think he is the right choice for us. 

I don't look at Vrabel really as a defensive coach.  I look at him as a smart game manager who does a terrific job getting his guys to play for him and knows the rules inside and out.   How

Posted Images

20 hours ago, tgo said:

I voted no, in hindsight. 

Robinson said on the radio that they didn't expect him to leave after only 1 year. 

Did he say that implying they possibly had some sort of understanding that he'd stay for at least 2 years? Of course agreements like that tend to be followed by an "unless",  in this case being he got a great HC offer.

Just now, Face said:

Did he say that implying they possibly had some sort of understanding that he'd stay for at least 2 years? Of course agreements like that tend to be followed by an "unless",  in this case being he got a great HC offer.

Vrabel always talks about how Urban Meyer had his assistants commit for at least two years. Mentioned that multiple times after he got hired. I would not be surprised if that was his expectation of his own staff, but obviously a HC offer is a different story and he doesn’t have control of that even if he wanted to. 

3 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

This is what really matters

I'm not seeing anything that Indy as doing successfully in the passing game that is translatable to our QB.  Our leading receiver has a yard more separation per Target than theirs.  Luck is making anticipatory tight window throws right on the money.  

21 minutes ago, tgo said:

Vrabel always talks about how Urban Meyer had his assistants commit for at least two years. Mentioned that multiple times after he got hired. I would not be surprised if that was his expectation of his own staff, but obviously a HC offer is a different story and he doesn’t have control of that even if he wanted to. 

Was it Vrabel or Robinson who said they didn't expect him to leave  ?

4 hours ago, oldschool said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/10/matt-lafleur-titans-job-pushed-me-out-of-comfort-zone/

based on this fuck no. I've watched a few interviews with him after the Packers hired him and he seems out of his depth. 

Wait 'til Rodgers gets the play call in his earpiece and turns around and shakes it off.

I'm not sure if you saw all those shitty plays he called in crucial situations. I made a thread that MLF was in over his head at OC and having some growing pains as the designer AND playcaller w/o McVay. Those growing pains are gonna get worse when he finds out that Aaron Rodgers is actually the Head Coach and he's just an overpaid OC in Green Bay. 

I get that GB is a dream job for any HC, but given that his offense finished 27th, his age, lack of stardom in the NFL as a player, he's setup for disaster in his first gig. And it's gonna be tough when he gets fired in 2 years to find a job equal to that one. He will probably be an OC in 2021 just like Josh McDaniels. 

If I were him, I would have stayed here, gained more experience and enjoyed some success as a play caller. The challenges he will face in GB under that spotlight are gonna be a lot tougher than, "Can Marcus play on Sunday?" Marcus changed his play calls, reportedly "waving him off," so Rodgers will probably tell him to shove that playbook up his ass on national tv. 

He's gonna drown. Packers made a huge gamble here. Worse case scenario? Rodgers gets hurt. Team goes 3-13 in 2020. They draft Trevor Lawrence. 

Did anyone listen to LaFleur's press conference?  He was definitely nervous.

Brad Stevens is successful though and he definitely doesn't scream head coach.  Who knows.

Edited by scine09

57 minutes ago, scine09 said:

Did anyone listen to LaFleur's press conference?  He was definitely nervous.

Brad Stevens is successful though and he definitely doesn't scream head coach.  Who knows.

And Jon Robinson looked like an idiot in his first press conference here, it's almost like this is LaFleur's dream job in a good scenario... Coaching for one of the most historical franchise in all of sports while having one of the biggest weapons in the NFL would do that to anyone

Edited by wiscotitansfan

41 minutes ago, wiscotitansfan said:

And Jon Robinson looked like an idiot in his first press conference here, it's almost like this is LaFleur's dream job in a good scenario... Coaching for one of the most historical franchise in all of sports while having one of the biggest weapons in the NFL would do that to anyone

I didn’t think he looked like an idiot.  I was impressed during that.

1 hour ago, scine09 said:

I didn’t think he looked like an idiot.  I was impressed during that.

I don't remember what it was but he was for sure over emotional to the point of receiving criticism.... Pointing out someone's emotion's during their introductory press conference to their dream job (especially for someone as historical as the Packers) is as nonsensical as you can get

Not sure if you actually thought his nervousness was a criticism compared to just a comment, but thinking it's remotely any indication of the coach he will be is retarded

I'm not sure if other teams do it, but Green Bay rename their streets after the coaches... It's a big deal.

Edited by wiscotitansfan