Turron Davenport: Marcus Mariota's Career Resembles Alex Smith

big2033

1 hour ago, TitanDuckFan said:

If the NFL wants to promote better QB play, let them start a farm club system like MLB has.

Instead of relying on state funded colleges and universities, and the coaches who get paid to win now.

The players aren't getting paid, so they do what they're told. 

Agreed.  Wonder if the new AAF could fulfill this role?

Edited by smokeater

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This deluge of Mariota posts is reminiscent of the old VY days. It's getting borderline ridiculous. How many times can we say the same things over and over about the same guy? Mariota is going to get

And 95% are started by the group that thinks he sucks and they just regurgitate the same ole same ole.

They are. Mariota is clutch while Smith isn’t. There are other differences but that’s the main one. I still say we should cut him loose, sign someone like Flacco, and draft a QB in 2020. He isn’t good

15 minutes ago, Stan said:

Alex Smith in 5 seasons with Andy Reid’s system threw 102 touchdowns. Mahomes in year 2 throws 50 and over 5,000 yards. Unbelievable. We’re going to be settled with the same shit type of mediocrity until

we find a real QB. 

Maybe, maybe not, but yeah that's the fear.

And for people to want to settle for that is dumb to me.

23 minutes ago, smokeater said:

Agreed.  Wonder if the new AAF could fulfill this role?

They have CFL for that. If you can’t play you can’t play, period. No matter how much time Gabbert spends in “minor leagues” you can’t teach the simple things it takes to be a QB. Some guys have natural ability .. you know right away you just know 

1 hour ago, Number9 said:

#1. Injury Prone.

#2.  Mariota has been mismanaged.  But isn't that what comes with being a #2 pick, you go to a bad organization.  Whiz was trying to make him play NFL style QB and got fired.  Mularkey tried to keep him safe, made the playoff and got fired.  Now, LaFluer coached him one year and left.  The problem now with the Alex Smith comparison is we don't have an offensive genius to mold him into a better QB.  Coaches like Andy Reid are not just out there available to come try to save Marcus Mariota.  On the other hand, Baker Mayfield went to the worst organization in the league, his HC and his OC were putting him in the middle of their different ideas of how he should run the offense, they both get canned and he gets a new OC.  Somehow Mayfield continued to play better than all the rookie QBs.

Earlier this year, I put up a thread saying the NFL at fault for there being a lack of good QBs.  A few agreed, but most everybody felt the way QBs are handled is the right way. Start them right away.  If they can play, they can play.  I don't see any reason to waste more years on Mariota, since the majority think "if he could play, he would already be playing great by now."  

Well Baker Mayfield is going to play how he wants regardless, the way that has always works for him. Mariota will do as told to a fault. He's still trying to shake that being careful with the ball from Mularkey, he wasn't like that with Whiz. Mariota needs to be more vocal about what he likes and is good at if he wants to succeed.

35 minutes ago, newschool said:

Well Baker Mayfield is going to play how he wants regardless, the way that has always works for him. Mariota will do as told to a fault. He's still trying to shake that being careful with the ball from Mularkey, he wasn't like that with Whiz. Mariota needs to be more vocal about what he likes and is good at if he wants to succeed.

That's a load. Mayfield isn't calling his own plays out there.

I guess DeShaun Watson does the same thing?

These guys just naturally make plays when plays break down. That's not doing what's told to a fault, that's keeping plays alive and making things happen when everything isn't perfect.

QB absolutely have to do that in the NFL. In any decade.

Edited by big2033

2 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

Alex Smith has literally been better every year in the league.  He wasn't always getting better by leaps but he improved slightly each year until he reached his plateau.  Mariota on the other hand seems to be trending downward.  

Smith started from about as bad a place as you can performance wise and was horrible until a few years in. If he wasn't the 1st overall pick he probably would have bounced out of the league by year 2 or 3.

5 hours ago, big2033 said:

That's a load. Mayfield isn't calling his own plays out there.

I guess DeShaun Watson does the same thing?

These guys just naturally make plays when plays break down. That's not doing what's told to a fault, that's keeping plays alive and making things happen when everything isn't perfect.

QB absolutely have to do that in the NFL. In any decade.

I don't know what's a load unless you're putting words in my mouth. You made my point. When plays break down Mayfield improvises. He's as loose as Brett Favre. Mariota is rigid af. I made it sound like an insult now if that helps

6 hours ago, newschool said:

I don't know what's a load unless you're putting words in my mouth. You made my point. When plays break down Mayfield improvises. He's as loose as Brett Favre. Mariota is rigid af. I made it sound like an insult now if that helps

If he's that rigid he shouldn't have gone No. 2.

If your QB can't improvise he'll be waiting for plays to materialize and get sacked a lot and ... oh wait ... 

Edited by big2033

11 hours ago, Jamalisms said:

Breaking new ground with this comparison, I see.

11 hours ago, Jamalisms said:

Follow me on Twitter for all your news in advance. Also: I suck.

I wasn't trying to break new ground. Was trying to bring some reality.

Not sure why you haven't been posting your perspective here of late but on Twitter instead. But I'm sure Mariota being more Alex Smith and less Aaron Rodgers like we'd hoped isn't the most exciting thing to talk about.

Edited by big2033