big2033

Turron Davenport: Marcus Mariota's Career Resembles Alex Smith

big2033   

http://www.espn.com/blog/tennessee-titans/post/_/id/27743/for-marcus-mariota-its-groundhog-day-with-another-injury-new-oc

Both saw the early part of their career hampered by constant turnover at coordinator. After having six different offensive coordinators in his first seven seasons, Smith set career highs in four of the five seasons he was in the same scheme under head coach Andy Reid.

The knock on Smith was that his being overly concerned about taking care of the football caused him to hesitate when asked to make tight-window throws. He'd see a receiver coming open but wouldn't pull the trigger. Does that sound familiar?

Mariota has been guilty of the same thing. Back in September, Vrabel encouraged Mariota to "let it rip." Once Smith got settled in with the Chiefs, he began to take shots that he hadn't in the past. That is the same comfort level the Titans have to establish for Mariota. At times Mariota showed that he was evolving into more of a risk taker this season, but will he regress to being a play-it-safe quarterback in yet another offense?

big2033   
10 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

I would think the correct bold part would be the first paragraph. We should for real cut the guy. 

Well the first paragraph can be chalked up to bad luck and situations. What Andy Reid did with Smith in my opinion never really changed who he was as a player. He made him more efficient.

Still, Alex Smith was what he was and when Andy Reid had a chance at a better QB ... he jumped at it.

I just think they're similar players in style as well.

Edited by big2033

3 minutes ago, big2033 said:

Well the first paragraph can be chalked up to bad luck and situations. What Andy Reid did with Smith in my opinion never really changed who he was as a player. He made him more efficient.

Still, Alex Smith was what he was and when Andy Reid had a chance at a better QB ... he jumped at it.

I just think they're similar players in style as well.

They are. Mariota is clutch while Smith isn’t. There are other differences but that’s the main one. I still say we should cut him loose, sign someone like Flacco, and draft a QB in 2020. He isn’t good enough to dominate and he can’t stay healthy. He’s a bust. Time to move on. 

10 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

They are. Mariota is clutch while Smith isn’t. There are other differences but that’s the main one. I still say we should cut him loose, sign someone like Flacco, and draft a QB in 2020. He isn’t good enough to dominate and he can’t stay healthy. He’s a bust. Time to move on. 

I'm in the camp of giving MM one last prove it year.  If he fails and we tank, we'll be in better position to get someone in 2020.  If everything starts to click for him and he stays healthy, we'll enjoy the playoff run.

Mythos27   

The lack of aggressiveness is certainly one of the more valid criticisms of Mariota. This idea of him not being willing to throw the 50/50 ball was tangentially referenced back when we were discussing whether we should draft Corey Davis or Mike Williams. The general consensus (iirc) was that Williams wouldn't be as good a fit here because Mariota wouldn't use Williams's most valuable trait of going up and winning contested balls. Ultimately, we turned out to be right IMO but it's interesting how we all kind of arrived at this conclusion of him being too cautious years ago. He might as well start sling that ball because the picks seem to be coming anyways...

Callidus   
4 hours ago, big2033 said:

http://www.espn.com/blog/tennessee-titans/post/_/id/27743/for-marcus-mariota-its-groundhog-day-with-another-injury-new-oc

Both saw the early part of their career hampered by constant turnover at coordinator. After having six different offensive coordinators in his first seven seasons, Smith set career highs in four of the five seasons he was in the same scheme under head coach Andy Reid.

The knock on Smith was that his being overly concerned about taking care of the football caused him to hesitate when asked to make tight-window throws. He'd see a receiver coming open but wouldn't pull the trigger. Does that sound familiar?

Mariota has been guilty of the same thing. Back in September, Vrabel encouraged Mariota to "let it rip." Once Smith got settled in with the Chiefs, he began to take shots that he hadn't in the past. That is the same comfort level the Titans have to establish for Mariota. At times Mariota showed that he was evolving into more of a risk taker this season, but will he regress to being a play-it-safe quarterback in yet another offense?

I thought it was the consensus from the moment we drafted him that his floor was alex smith lol.

Number9   
4 hours ago, big2033 said:

#1. Injury Prone.

#2.  Mariota has been mismanaged.  But isn't that what comes with being a #2 pick, you go to a bad organization.  Whiz was trying to make him play NFL style QB and got fired.  Mularkey tried to keep him safe, made the playoff and got fired.  Now, LaFluer coached him one year and left.  The problem now with the Alex Smith comparison is we don't have an offensive genius to mold him into a better QB.  Coaches like Andy Reid are not just out there available to come try to save Marcus Mariota.  On the other hand, Baker Mayfield went to the worst organization in the league, his HC and his OC were putting him in the middle of their different ideas of how he should run the offense, they both get canned and he gets a new OC.  Somehow Mayfield continued to play better than all the rookie QBs.

Earlier this year, I put up a thread saying the NFL at fault for there being a lack of good QBs.  A few agreed, but most everybody felt the way QBs are handled is the right way. Start them right away.  If they can play, they can play.  I don't see any reason to waste more years on Mariota, since the majority think "if he could play, he would already be playing great by now."  

5 hours ago, big2033 said:

They could have hired an offensive minded coach like Lafleur or Defilippo and had it turn out very similar to this, but they were obsessed with Vrabel from day 1. I love Vrabel in hindsight, but this is what you get when you go that route. And whoever the next OC we hire is will likely be gone too, that's just the NFL of today.

19 minutes ago, Number9 said:

Earlier this year, I put up a thread saying the NFL at fault for there being a lack of good QBs.  A few agreed, but most everybody felt the way QBs are handled is the right way. Start them right away.  If they can play, they can play.  I don't see any reason to waste more years on Mariota, since the majority think "if he could play, he would already be playing great by now."  

If the NFL wants to promote better QB play, let them start a farm club system like MLB has.

Instead of relying on state funded colleges and universities, and the coaches who get paid to win now.

The players aren't getting paid, so they do what they're told. 

big2033   
48 minutes ago, Callidus said:

I thought it was the consensus from the moment we drafted him that his floor was alex smith lol.

Yeah, and that's unfortunate that we're at the floor.

big2033   
28 minutes ago, Number9 said:

#1. Injury Prone.

#2.  Mariota has been mismanaged.  But isn't that what comes with being a #2 pick, you go to a bad organization.  Whiz was trying to make him play NFL style QB and got fired.  Mularkey tried to keep him safe, made the playoff and got fired.  Now, LaFluer coached him one year and left.  The problem now with the Alex Smith comparison is we don't have an offensive genius to mold him into a better QB.  Coaches like Andy Reid are not just out there available to come try to save Marcus Mariota.  On the other hand, Baker Mayfield went to the worst organization in the league, his HC and his OC were putting him in the middle of their different ideas of how he should run the offense, they both get canned and he gets a new OC.  Somehow Mayfield continued to play better than all the rookie QBs.

That's my over-arching point. The good ones just play.

The only thing coaches have a part in is how high they can go. But if they suck or are average, chances are no coach or coordinator could fix them.

Andy Reid coached Alex Smith to the best of his ability, he was still lackluster overall.

Edited by big2033

Stan   

Alex Smith in 5 seasons with Andy Reid’s system threw 102 touchdowns. Mahomes in year 2 throws 50 and over 5,000 yards. Unbelievable. We’re going to be settled with the same shit type of mediocrity until

we find a real QB.