True Observation by Sando/McCartney

BudsOilers

Very true.  Belichick pre-Brady.  Jimmy Johnson w/o Aikman.  Walsh/Seifert w/o Montana or Young, Noll w/o Bradshaw, Dungy w/o Manning.  Carroll w/o Wilson, etc.

Applies to coaches w/o championships.  Jeff Fisher was a way better HC with McNair than he was with anyone else. 

He's not saying scheme doesn't matter but it's not the only thing either.  Leading a team takes skills beyond drawing up plays.  Walsh was a losing coach with his scheme until Montana arrived.  Belichick was fired from Cleveland when he had Kosar and Testaverde as his QB.

LaFluer may be a perfect test case.  Schematically, he seems like a smart guy but can he lead a team?  McVay seems to have all the attributes you want (more so than Kyle Shanahan IMO) and saying that he's the mold everyone wants and he's yet to win a playoff game as a HC.

1 hour ago, BudAdams said:

LaFluer may be a perfect test case.  Schematically, he seems like a smart guy but can he lead a team?  McVay seems to have all the attributes you want (more so than Kyle Shanahan IMO) and saying that he's the mold everyone wants and he's yet to win a playoff game as a HC.

I don't think that LaFleur is ready for a HC gig, but what do I know? I just think one of the reasons some of these first tiem HCs flame out is because they just weren't seasoned and ready enough for the job. It doesn't mean their approach is wrong, but I think he could have used another year or two of "seasoning".

That said, he'll have Aaron Rodgers running his offense. Everyone talks about Belichick's midas touch, but Brady is a big fire-retardant blanket. There's nothing wrong with Lafleur's offense. As long as he can keep mistakes to a minimum Rodgers will take them far.

2 hours ago, BudAdams said:

Very true.  Belichick pre-Brady.  Jimmy Johnson w/o Aikman.  Walsh/Seifert w/o Montana or Young, Noll w/o Bradshaw, Dungy w/o Manning.  Carroll w/o Wilson, etc.

Applies to coaches w/o championships.  Jeff Fisher was a way better HC with McNair than he was with anyone else. 

What’s fishers excuse with foles?

oh yeah... system matters. 

These guys keep these qbs because they run their system well. 

7 hours ago, Justafan said:

Walsh created a scheme that boosted two QBs to top 5 positions all time in the history of the NFL. 

Two great QBs boosted his scheme more

Siefert(who took over) flopped without Young

1 hour ago, OILERMAN said:

Two great QBs boosted his scheme more

Siefert(who took over) flopped without Young

Um.  Jeff Garcia, a journeyman QB, looked like a pro-bowler in that scheme.  They weren't dominant like they were with Young but they still had a pretty good team and went to the playoffs a couple of times.  

Yea, it helps to have a HOF QB.  Duh.  

I just looked it up.  Seifert went 98-30 in his time there.  .766 winning record over an 11-year stretch.  That's flopping?  Bring that flopping here to Nashville, please.

Edited by Justafan

34 minutes ago, Justafan said:

Um.  Jeff Garcia, a journeyman QB, looked like a pro-bowler in that scheme.  They weren't dominant like they were with Young but they still had a pretty good team and went to the playoffs a couple of times.  

Yea, it helps to have a HOF QB.  Duh.  

I just looked it up.  Seifert went 98-30 in his time there.  .766 winning record over an 11-year stretch.  That's flopping?  Bring that flopping here to Nashville, please.

Three years (1999-2001) at the helm in Carolina: W 16 - L 32 including a final 1 - 15 season... so he was much better if you just consider the 8 Frisco years.

48 minutes ago, Justafan said:

No, flopping is when he went to the Panthers for 3 years and finished with two losing seasons, 1 8-8 season including a 1-15 final season. 

With Young/Monatana he had 8 consecutive double digit winning seasons including 3 14-2 seasons. Two SB wins as well. 

It doesn't take a lot of thought to figure out the difference in the two stints

QB play

Walsh wins 3 SBs and multiple double digit seasons then Siefert basically does the same thing. 

Dallas wins SBs with Jimmy Johnson then a buffoon like Switzer also wins the SB.

GB wins a SB with two different coaches with HOF QB play

Belichich has a losing record over a massive sample size and got fired without Brady.

Back to Sando's original point:

A good exercise: List the 10-20 greatest HCs in #NFL history and identify what made them successful. It'll frequently be because of their QBs (!)

2 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and state:

1.  that coaches with the best players win more games and

2.  since the most important player is the QB coaches with the best QBs win more games

3.  coaches with HOF QBs typically win the most games

Wow, now I'm a flipping expert. 

It's a start

1 minute ago, patsplat said:

The best coaches develop the best QBs.  

Maybe in some cases, hard to know how much credit the coach vs the QB gets, probably varies