Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
abc2330

After Rewatching the Eagles Game....

Recommended Posts

id be interested to see how many of those sacks that theres was actually n time to throw it away. i'd venture its close to half. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mythos27   

There is no universe in which our interior OL is "fine". They sucked for 3/4 of the season and then finally had a good-above average stretch that they're unlikely to replicate next season when they're all a year older, slower, fatter, and less athletic. As @TitanDuckFan has pointed out repeatedly the improvement in perimeter blocking from the TE group really helped that unit look better than it was. Those guys gotta go. I like Spain but if JRob really wants him gone then fine with me as long as Jones and Kline pack their shit and GTFO too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

There is no universe in which our interior OL is "fine". They sucked for 3/4 of the season and then finally had a good-above average stretch that they're unlikely to replicate next season when they're all a year older, slower, fatter, and less athletic. As @TitanDuckFan has pointed out repeatedly the improvement in perimeter blocking from the TE group really helped that unit look better than it was. Those guys gotta go. I like Spain but if JRob really wants him gone then fine with me as long as Jones and Kline pack their shit and GTFO too. 

And that's just one more reason why the more I think about it, the more I want Arthur Smith as the next OC, if he has any inkling about how to call plays.  The work he did bringing those three young guys up to speed in the run game is what real coaching is supposed to be all about.  That's how differences get made.

Vrabel and JRob have both praised him for that work and I hope he's under serious consideration for MLF's old job, even if he does need a little help calling plays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

There is no universe in which our interior OL is "fine". They sucked for 3/4 of the season and then finally had a good-above average stretch that they're unlikely to replicate next season when they're all a year older, slower, fatter, and less athletic. As @TitanDuckFan has pointed out repeatedly the improvement in perimeter blocking from the TE group really helped that unit look better than it was. Those guys gotta go. I like Spain but if JRob really wants him gone then fine with me as long as Jones and Kline pack their shit and GTFO too. 

they had an above average stretch for run blocking at the end of the season against some of the worst teams we played all year... but their pass blocking was still atrocious. 

 

5 games with a passing grade in run blocks with 11 failing... and 16 failing in pass pro is not a good line at all.. they did their job like 15% of the time. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Must be that time of the month, my apologies. 

No, it's that time of the year for you guys.

You're disappointed and pissed off 'cuz your team isn't playing in the post season, so you think that gives you the right to piss & moan, and snivel & bitch, and cry & complain about what you perceive went wrong.

When if you really understood what you were watching, there wouldn't be any need for all the negativity.

It's over.  Move on.

Get started arguing about what you think will happen next, and why the guy you like is better than someone else's favorite.

That's far more entertaining for the rest of us.

It's a hoot-a-minute around here when that shit starts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
big2033   
20 minutes ago, TitanDuckFan said:

No, it's that time of the year for you guys.

You're disappointed and pissed off 'cuz your team isn't playing in the post season, so you think that gives you the right to piss & moan, and snivel & bitch, and cry & complain about what you perceive went wrong.

When if you really understood what you were watching, there wouldn't be any need for all the negativity.

It's over.  Move on.

Get started arguing about what you think will happen next, and why the guy you like is better than someone else's favorite.

That's far more entertaining for the rest of us.

It's a hoot-a-minute around here when that shit starts.

Are you going to be like @ManningEnvy when Mariota retires? 

 

Just a wondering weirdo troll with no player or team to follow?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Number9 said:

Ki-Jana Carter should be in the HOF.  The guy averaged 5.4 yards per carry, when he wasn't hurt. 

if you wanna go with we shouldnt continue with mariota because he's always injured... you're gonna have little to no argument over that rationale. 

 

but you confuse too many poor arguments with one of the actual valid ones. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WG53   

Passer rating vs the blitz only matters when he throws it. If they sack him he obviously didn't throw it dumbass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nine   
5 hours ago, titanruss said:

they had an above average stretch for run blocking at the end of the season against some of the worst teams we played all year... but their pass blocking was still atrocious. 

 

 5 games with a passing grade in run blocks with 11 failing... and 16 failing in pass pro is not a good line at all.. they did their job like 15% of the time. 

  

  

 

 The O-line's pass protection was actually pretty good over the final 4 games:  only 3 sacks allowed in 105 total dropbacks.    That's a 2.9% sack rate...which is excellent.  (Andrew Luck had the fewest sacks in the league with a 2.7% sack rate).

 

Titans allowed 4 sacks total over that stretch, but one of them was a 7-on-6 situation against the Skins...more pass rushers than blockers.   Marcus has to recognize that situation and get rid of the ball, but he didn't...so that one's on him.

 

I was quite vocal and sharply critical of the O-line for most of the season...they were just straight-up awful.   But I gotta give credit where credit's due:  they played at a *very* high level over the final four games....not just in the run game, but also in pass protection.   

 

I've mentioned this before...but the fact that the entire O-line made such a dramatic overnight improvement tells me the problem wasn't so much an issue with personnel.  Something clearly changed...but since it was the same personnel, it must have come from the coaching staff.  Maybe they changed something with the OL technique or approach...maybe adjustments to the protections.  I don't know what it was...but something obviously happened, because the interior OL who played like shit for twelve games suddenly turned into a remarkably consistent (possibly even dominant)  group.   

 

This tells me two things:

  • the coaching staff finally found a way to get top-level performance from mid-level talent...which is a sign of great coaching
  • the fact that they got consistently high performance from mid-level talent suggests that the individual players might not be all that critical.    They could bring in more mid-level talent at one or more positions with little or no dropoff in performance.   (Which is a huge consideration with cap management and draft decisions.)

 

The problem is, this high-level performance was only for the final four weeks of the season.   Much like Derrick Henry, the O-line was tremendous down the stretch.....the question is whether they can carry that success over into next season.

 

If the improvement was the result of schematic changes and/or coaching adjustments...that's definitely something that can be carried over.   Especially if those changes came from Keith Carter.   But if the improvement was the result of something LaFleur did, it becomes a question of whether the next guy can have similar success.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, nine said:

 

 The O-line's pass protection was actually pretty good over the final 4 games:  only 3 sacks allowed in 105 total dropbacks.    That's a 2.9% sack rate...which is excellent.  (Andrew Luck had the fewest sacks in the league with a 2.7% sack rate).

 

Titans allowed 4 sacks total over that stretch, but one of them was a 7-on-6 situation against the Skins...more pass rushers than blockers.   Marcus has to recognize that situation and get rid of the ball, but he didn't...so that one's on him.

 

I was quite vocal and sharply critical of the O-line for most of the season...they were just straight-up awful.   But I gotta give credit where credit's due:  they played at a *very* high level over the final four games....not just in the run game, but also in pass protection.   

 

I've mentioned this before...but the fact that the entire O-line made such a dramatic overnight improvement tells me the problem wasn't so much an issue with personnel.  Something clearly changed...but since it was the same personnel, it must have come from the coaching staff.  Maybe they changed something with the OL technique or approach...maybe adjustments to the protections.  I don't know what it was...but something obviously happened, because the interior OL who played like shit for twelve games suddenly turned into a remarkably consistent (possibly even dominant)  group.   

 

This tells me two things:

  • the coaching staff finally found a way to get top-level performance from mid-level talent...which is a sign of great coaching
  • the fact that they got consistently high performance from mid-level talent suggests that the individual players might not be all that critical.    They could bring in more mid-level talent at one or more positions with little or no dropoff in performance.   (Which is a huge consideration with cap management and draft decisions.)

 

The problem is, this high-level performance was only for the final four weeks of the season.   Much like Derrick Henry, the O-line was tremendous down the stretch.....the question is whether they can carry that success over into next season.

 

If the improvement was the result of schematic changes and/or coaching adjustments...that's definitely something that can be carried over.   Especially if those changes came from Keith Carter.   But if the improvement was the result of something LaFleur did, it becomes a question of whether the next guy can have similar success.

The sack rate looked good because we were running the ball so well. Had very little to do with the oline.  When we were in 3rd and long and not ahead .. it looked bad. 

 

It it should also be noted the teams we played were pretty shit there at the end. 

 

I never saw dominance once from our oline. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Justafan   
6 hours ago, Mythos27 said:

There is no universe in which our interior OL is "fine". They sucked for 3/4 of the season and then finally had a good-above average stretch that they're unlikely to replicate next season when they're all a year older, slower, fatter, and less athletic. As @TitanDuckFan has pointed out repeatedly the improvement in perimeter blocking from the TE group really helped that unit look better than it was. Those guys gotta go. I like Spain but if JRob really wants him gone then fine with me as long as Jones and Kline pack their shit and GTFO too. 

It all depends on the system they decide to run.  If they really want to run the same system as last year then yes, they need to make some changes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mythos27   
2 minutes ago, Justafan said:

It all depends on the system they decide to run.  If they really want to run the same system as last year then yes, they need to make some changes.

IMO they were bad last year too. The line hasn't been "good" since the middle of 2016.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mythos27   
1 hour ago, nine said:

 

 The O-line's pass protection was actually pretty good over the final 4 games:  only 3 sacks allowed in 105 total dropbacks.    That's a 2.9% sack rate...which is excellent.  (Andrew Luck had the fewest sacks in the league with a 2.7% sack rate).

 

Titans allowed 4 sacks total over that stretch, but one of them was a 7-on-6 situation against the Skins...more pass rushers than blockers.   Marcus has to recognize that situation and get rid of the ball, but he didn't...so that one's on him.

 

I was quite vocal and sharply critical of the O-line for most of the season...they were just straight-up awful.   But I gotta give credit where credit's due:  they played at a *very* high level over the final four games....not just in the run game, but also in pass protection.   

 

I've mentioned this before...but the fact that the entire O-line made such a dramatic overnight improvement tells me the problem wasn't so much an issue with personnel.  Something clearly changed...but since it was the same personnel, it must have come from the coaching staff.  Maybe they changed something with the OL technique or approach...maybe adjustments to the protections.  I don't know what it was...but something obviously happened, because the interior OL who played like shit for twelve games suddenly turned into a remarkably consistent (possibly even dominant)  group.   

 

This tells me two things:

  • the coaching staff finally found a way to get top-level performance from mid-level talent...which is a sign of great coaching
  • the fact that they got consistently high performance from mid-level talent suggests that the individual players might not be all that critical.    They could bring in more mid-level talent at one or more positions with little or no dropoff in performance.   (Which is a huge consideration with cap management and draft decisions.)

 

The problem is, this high-level performance was only for the final four weeks of the season.   Much like Derrick Henry, the O-line was tremendous down the stretch.....the question is whether they can carry that success over into next season.

 

If the improvement was the result of schematic changes and/or coaching adjustments...that's definitely something that can be carried over.   Especially if those changes came from Keith Carter.   But if the improvement was the result of something LaFleur did, it becomes a question of whether the next guy can have similar success.

And that right there is the crux of the matter. I don't trust these mofos. I bet they revert.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Justafan   
1 minute ago, Mythos27 said:

IMO they were bad last year too. The line hasn't been "good" since the middle of 2016.

You can get away with two below average guards if you have a good center.  Problem is, they don't.  

 

I think Spain is likely gone either way but Kline and Jones really depends on what they want to do.  Unfortunately, Kline is probably here no matter what so if I'm Jrob, I'm taking a close look at what Kline, Conklin, and Lewan do well because they are the most likely to be here for the next several years and I'm building my blocking scheme around that.

 

Then I find the best Center I can to execute that scheme and move Jones to Guard or if we think Jones will do great in that scheme maybe we leave him there and find a dominant G early in the draft to help solidify the middle.  

 

Lots of things they can do here but it's really hard to make predictions when we don't even know what system they will run and who will be the OC.

 

Also, Jones, Spain and Kline get too much hate around here.  They are all three slightly below average but they aren't horrible.  The problem is you can't have all 3 guys be below average athleticism in a zone blocking scheme and you can't have all three not have very good size in a power man blocking scheme.  Even if you mix the systems they aren't big enough or fast enough to really execute.

 

At LEAST one of those guys has to be much bigger or more athletic.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...