Sign in to follow this  
abc2330

After Rewatching the Eagles Game....

10 hours ago, TF_Titan said:

Yes. In his first 4 games he averaged 1 int and .5 TDs per game. In his last 10 he averaged .4 ints and .9 TDs per game...basically reversing the ratios. Half of his picks for the season came in those first 4 games.

And two of them were immediately post injury in game 1

BudAdams   
11 hours ago, TF_Titan said:

Yes. In his first 4 games he averaged 1 int and .5 TDs per game. In his last 10 he averaged .4 ints and .9 TDs per game...basically reversing the ratios. Half of his picks for the season came in those first 4 games.

It’s disturbing that some people think .9 TDS per game is acceptable.  The Titans offense and specifically the passing offense were ranked 27th or lower in points scored, TD passes, and pass TD%.  

Did they improve after the bye but to levels that are still bad.  

22 hours ago, Mythos27 said:

Simply put, Mariota's problem is he can't stay healthy. His tendency to get hurt is the fountain from which all the other issues flow. Unless, he somehow figures out some magic trick to keep himself healthy he WILL bust. You can win a superbowl with a healthy Mariota but season after season of a hurt Mariota is QB hell.

this is pretty much all that needs to be said

TF_Titan   
11 hours ago, BudAdams said:

It’s disturbing that some people think .9 TDS per game is acceptable.  The Titans offense and specifically the passing offense were ranked 27th or lower in points scored, TD passes, and pass TD%.  

Did they improve after the bye but to levels that are still bad.  

Before the bye Marcus' passer rating was 78.47 and the offense averaged 14.3 points.

After the bye Marcus' passer rating was 103.79 (league average was 93) and the offense averaged 23.4 points (league average was 23.3).

Clearly there was significant improvement for both Marcus and the offense as a whole after the bye. I don't think anyone would argue there is not still room for improvement, but the idea that Marcus and the offense sucked the entire year is just factually incorrect. The season numbers are heavily negatively affected by a really bad start.

Marcus is not going to suddenly turn into Drew Brees, but he doesn't need to put up Madden type numbers for the Titans to win. If the defense can figure out how to generate a pass rush and the offense can build on what they did in the last half of the season they'll be in the playoffs and can compete with anybody. I think that's realistic.

Thinking they can simply dump Marcus, go out and find another Mahomes and start putting up 35 points/game is not realistic.

ap24786   
15 minutes ago, TF_Titan said:

Before the bye Marcus' passer rating was 78.47 and the offense averaged 14.3 points.

After the bye Marcus' passer rating was 103.79 (league average was 93) and the offense averaged 23.4 points (league average was 23.3).

Clearly there was significant improvement for both Marcus and the offense as a whole after the bye. I don't think anyone would argue there is not still room for improvement, but the idea that Marcus and the offense sucked the entire year is just factually incorrect. The season numbers are heavily negatively affected by a really bad start.

Marcus is not going to suddenly turn into Drew Brees, but he doesn't need to put up Madden type numbers for the Titans to win. If the defense can figure out how to generate a pass rush and the offense can build on what they did in the last half of the season they'll be in the playoffs and can compete with anybody. I think that's realistic.

Thinking they can simply dump Marcus, go out and find another Mahomes and start putting up 35 points/game is not realistic.

Not to mention Mahomes would put up 25 points per game here, not 35. 

I agree with you, if Mariota didn't have this fluke injury that affected his throwing arm all year and if Delanie were healthy I think we'd have been contenders this year. Hell, even with this bad season, if Nick Williams catches a TD or if Taywan/CD don't drop easy passes against the Chargers, we likely win both those games and we'd be an 11 win team. 

If Jrob can just shore up this interior OL and get one good veteran receiver, with a healthy Mariota and Delanie we can be contenders next year. I think our defense is set. New OC and system might present challenges once again, but I'm optimistic if Jrob can just shore up our pass protection.

22 minutes ago, ap24786 said:

Not to mention Mahomes would put up 25 points per game here, not 35. 

I agree with you, if Mariota didn't have this fluke injury that affected his throwing arm all year and if Delanie were healthy I think we'd have been contenders this year. Hell, even with this bad season, if Nick Williams catches a TD or if Taywan/CD don't drop easy passes against the Chargers, we likely win both those games and we'd be an 11 win team. 

If Jrob can just shore up this interior OL and get one good veteran receiver, with a healthy Mariota and Delanie we can be contenders next year. I think our defense is set. New OC and system might present challenges once again, but I'm optimistic if Jrob can just shore up our pass protection.

Assuming you go with our later part of the season with a "healthy"-ish Mariota, you think Mahommes only adds 1.6 pts to our team a game (less than 4 TDs extrapolated over the entire season)? LOL

They go from Alex Smith, a very fair Mariota comparison, to Mahommes and jump up from 25 pts/game to 35 pts/game while keeping majority of their team the same besides changing QBs, gaining a very disappointing Watkins and still averaged close to their 35 without their star RB after he was cut.

It's truly laughable you are saying that our team would see very minimal improvement with Mahommes over Mariota.

Edited by wiscotitansfan

BudAdams   

Nobody expects Mariota to be Mahomes and there's no question the offense did play better after the bye.  All true.  Your numbers are off some because I suspect you are counting points scored rather than offensive points scored - such as ST/Defensive scores....Offensively, in games MM played in, they were 13.2 per game before the bye and 22.6 after it in.  For the season it was 18.4 and 26th overall and the NFL average was 22.2.  After the bye, it was respectable and something to build on.

It was still choppy and inconsistent.  Overall, they had 6 games pre-bye and 5 after the bye where they scored less than 20 points.  They had 6 games scoring under 14 points (4 pre-bye, 2 post bye).  In fairness, they did score 26 or more 5 times and 4 of those came after the bye.  It's not coincidental that the Titans were 5-0 when they scored more than 20 or more offensive points.  Note that the 2018 playoff teams averaged 25.8 offensive points/game.  In the games where they scored less than 20 points, 4-7. 

I posted this somewhere earlier this week and it applies here.  The Titans and MM were very good in 3 wins vs playoff teams averaging 29.3 PPG.  In the 4 losses with MM, they averaged 11 PPG.  It underscores my biggest concern with Mariota.  He's a very up and down player production wise and that's not a trait that you see from top tier QB's.  If they want to be a playoff team, the offense needs to bring it each and every week in terms of scoring points.  It has to come from the passing game and specifically the red zone.  MM was very good in this area in 2016 but has been awful there since.  That has to change or they will have to make a change.

BudAdams   

The slow start absolutely had some expectation and certainly Mariota's health didn't help.  At the same time, they went from a mediocre/poor offense in 2017 to a horrifically bad one back to a mediocre one.   If they want to be a legit contenders, it has to go from mediocre to good.  Score points.  Excel in the red zone and on 3rd down.  Dallas and NE game good. 

Going forward, obviously everything is on hold until they solidify the OC.  Sounds like they will retain the same system so that to me narrows it down to a Kyle Shanahan/McVay disciple or an internal 2018 staff member (O'Hara, Smith).

nine   

In fairness...the O-line continued to suck well after the bye week.  They pretty much stunk on ice in weeks 9-12, too.

It wasn’t until week 13 (vs. Jags) that the O-line really got it together ..and it was literally an overnight “worst-to-first” improvement, both in the running game and in pass protection.   

Over the final four games, both QBs saw nice clean pockets that gave them room to move and step into throws, and the overall sack rate was cut in half, from 10-12%  down to about 5-6%.    (For what it’s worth, the O-line didn’t allow a sack in the season finale...which is something that hadn’t happened since week 1.)

nine   
1 minute ago, BudAdams said:

Some of the OL play was Conklin getting shelved and Kelly taking over too 

Maybe...but keep in mind, Conklin played most the Jags game, which was the O-line’s most dominant performance of the season.   

I don’t know what sort of magical elixir those guys were given after the Jets game...but they all got some.   Every one of them really stepped it up for that final month.

BudAdams   
1 minute ago, nine said:

Maybe...but keep in mind, Conklin played most the Jags game, which was the O-line’s most dominant performance of the season.   

I don’t know what sort of magical elixir those guys were given after the Jets game...but they all got some.   Every one of them really stepped it up for that final month.

I think the Jaguars game needs an * as their effort defensively was beyond pathetic once they fell behind.  

1 hour ago, nine said:

Since we are going in with MM on his last year it really doesn’t make sense to me to switch up the line. Bring all 5 back and sign Spain to a two year deal and draft a guy in the middle rounds to compete. If MM fails next year blow up the entire interior.