Trump's address

Justafan

15 minutes ago, 9 Nines said:

Maddow made assumptions about this.  She thinks Democrats are trying to open a door as wide as possible for Republican senators to join them in re-opening the government.  So they want to be inviting vs antagonistic. 

"I think we can walk and chew gum," GOP Sen. Lisa Murkowski of Alaska said on Tuesday, adding she's "amenable to a process that would allow for those appropriations bills that have concluded some time ago that they be enacted into law -- whether it's the Department of Interior or the IRS. I'd like to see that."

In a warning sign for the White House, a number of Senate Republicans offered tepid support for the hard-line stance taken by Trump, who is backed by Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell. While many Republicans said they'd continue to support McConnell and Trump for now, it was clear that support won't last indefinitely.

"There's a time when that may run out," Georgia Sen. Johnny Isakson said of support for McConnell's refusal to back spending bills that lack Trump's support. "But right now that doesn't run out."

But West Virginia GOP Sen. Shelley Moore Capito, who chairs a key subcommittee overseeing homeland security funding, said she "can live" with a continuing resolution to reopen the Department of Homeland Security while other agencies also are reopened. Doing so would punt the funding fight over the wall until a later time.

https://www.wktv.com/content/national/504082172.html

Looks like republicans may be cracking and that strategy working.

Edited by ctm

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Donald Trump is an absolute embarrassment. The fact he's the President of the United States is one of the lowest points in US history. 

Schumer: "We don't govern by temper tantrum!"

The Trump Make America Great Committee sent out an email hours before the president's controversial prime-time address asking Trump supporters to donate to the "Official Secure the Border Fund."

"We need to raise $500,000 in ONE DAY," the email, which is signed by Trump, says. "I want to know who stood with me when it mattered most so I've asked my team to send me a list of EVERY AMERICAN PATRIOT who donates to the Official Secure the Border Fund."

The email promotes Trump's Oval Office address, which will air on all major TV networks at 9 p.m. EST Tuesday.

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-reelection-campaign-fundraising-emails-border-wall-fund-2019-1

29 minutes ago, ctm said:

The Trump Make America Great Committee sent out an email hours before the president's controversial prime-time address asking Trump supporters to donate to the "Official Secure the Border Fund."

"We need to raise $500,000 in ONE DAY," the email, which is signed by Trump, says. "I want to know who stood with me when it mattered most so I've asked my team to send me a list of EVERY AMERICAN PATRIOT who donates to the Official Secure the Border Fund."

The email promotes Trump's Oval Office address, which will air on all major TV networks at 9 p.m. EST Tuesday.

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-reelection-campaign-fundraising-emails-border-wall-fund-2019-1

$500k? Sounds like someone's getting a new portrait of himself.

From Wikipedia:

A 2017 Government Accountability Office (GAO) report, citing U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) data, found that from fiscal year 2010 through fiscal year 2015, the U.S.-Mexico border fence had been breached 9,287 times, at an average cost of $784 per breach to repair.[14] The same GAO report concluded that "CBP cannot measure the contribution of fencing to border security operations along the southwest border because it has not developed metrics for this assessment."[12] GAO noted that because the government lacked such data, it was unable to assess the effectiveness of border fencing, and therefore could not "identify the cost effectiveness of border fencing compared to other assets the agency deploys, including Border Patrol agents and various surveillance technologies."[15]

The fence is routinely climbed or otherwise circumvented.[9] The GAO reported in 2017 that both pedestrian and vehicle barriers have been defeated by various methods, including using ramps to drive vehicles "up and over" vehicle fencing in the sector; scaling, jumping over, or breaching pedestrian fencing; burrowing or tunneling underground; and even using small aircraft.[16] New York Times op-ed writer Lawrence Downes wrote in 2013: "A climber with a rope can hop it in less than half a minute. ... Smugglers with jackhammers tunnel under it. They throw drugs and rocks over it. The fence is breached not just by sunlight and shadows, but also the hooded gaze of drug-cartel lookouts, and by bullets. Border agents describe their job as an unending battle of wits, a cat-mouse game with the constant threat of violence."