Jonboy

Potential Offensive Coordinators to Replace LaFleur

tgo   

We’re in a unique situation with the top 4 offenses being the 4 current playoff teams.

As you’d imagine, teams want to hire the coaches associated with the top offenses. But currently they can’t talk to any of them. 

These OC openings may move slower than usual. 

43 minutes ago, SuperFreak90 said:

Vrabel wants someone still in the playoffs, and wants to wait to interview them first before he looks at retread candidates.

Gotcha 

tgo   

Came across another interesting option: 

Jedd Fisch, who is senior offensive assistant for the Rams. 

He has been OC for various college programs and was OC for the Jags for a couple years, one while Gabbert was there. Was OC and interim HC for UCLA in 2017. 

He worked under Mike Shanahan with the Broncos in 2008. Obviously would understand the Shanahan system well. 

Has been an OC, DC, DQC, OQC, WR coach, QB coach. 

Edited by tgo

34 minutes ago, tgo said:

Came across another interesting option: 

Jedd Fisch, who is senior offensive assistant for the Rams. 

He has been OC for various college programs and was OC for the Jags for a couple years, one while Gabbert was there. Was OC and interim HC for UCLA in 2017. 

He worked under Mike Shanahan with the Broncos in 2008. Obviously would understand the Shanahan system well. 

Has been an OC, DC, DQC, OQC, WR coach, QB coach. 

I thought his name came up last year for some reason so I searched for it on this forum, but I was wrong. 

However, his name did come up in posts from 2015 and 2016... as one of the NFL personnel people who liked Winston over Mariota! 😄

Edge Winston:

Mike Shula, Joe Philbin, Marty Mornhinweg, Hue Jackson, Jedd Fisch, Frank Reich, Doug Whaley, Ryan Grigson, Dave Caldwell, Scot McCloughan.

Edge Mariota:

Sean Payton, Darrell Bevell, Gary Kubiak, Bill O'Brien, Pep Hamilton, Doug Pederson, Andy Reid, Bill Lazor, Tom Clements, Mike McCarthy, Norv Turner, Josh McDaniels, Bruce Arians, Jeff Fisher, Les Snead, John Schneider, Trent Baalke, Steve Keim, Ted Thompson, Jerry Reese, Ozzie Newsome, Kevin Colbert, Tom Telesco.

https://www.bucsnation.com/2015/3/1/8129595/nfl-draft-2015-most-coaches-and-executives-prefer-marcus-mariota

With it now confirmed JRob is currently in Florida attending the East/West Shrine game practices, I wonder whether that can be interpreted that there isn't any interviews for the OC position lined up during this week.

This could add weight to the theory that they are waiting for someone who is still involved in the Conference Championship Games this weekend.

2 hours ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

With it now confirmed JRob is currently in Florida attending the East/West Shrine game practices, I wonder whether that can be interpreted that there isn't any interviews for the OC position lined up during this week.

This could add weight to the theory that they are waiting for someone who is still involved in the Conference Championship Games this weekend.

We are definitely waiting on someone we’ve already talked to - even if it wasn’t quite “legal”. We’ve already talked because there will be no staff changes. Just possible additions.  

If it falls through we have 2 guys on staff who will take the job. 

14 hours ago, japan said:

Yeah, Lafleur was a Joe Schmo....

He was a Joe Schmo enough guy who was getting turned down plays by a 4 year qb who can't stay healthy, who rarely tops 250 yds passing. 

MLF wasn't even calling plays in the place he was successful. He wasn't even on the field during games. 

Now tell me how that guy is gonna go to GB of all damn places and be successful as HC? It's LAUGHABLE

tgo   
4 minutes ago, SleepingTitan said:

He was a Joe Schmo enough guy who was getting turned down plays by a 4 year qb who can't stay healthy, who rarely tops 250 yds passing. 

MLF wasn't even calling plays in the place he was successful. He wasn't even on the field during games. 

Now tell me how that guy is gonna go to GB of all damn places and be successful as HC? It's LAUGHABLE

I'm not even sure how the things you mentioned are relevant to being a head coach. 

Vrabel was and is a garbage play caller and defensive coordinator. He's a good head coach though. 

The skillset of an OC isn't the same as what's required to be a HC

The arguments against LaFleur's potential success in Green Bay should center more around his leadership rather than his abilities as an OC. 

Edited by tgo

4 minutes ago, SleepingTitan said:

Have you ever had a valid take on anything? Serious question. You seem to not only be misinformed but incredibly basic in your analysis of football in general.

Edited by oldschool

52 minutes ago, tgo said:

I'm not even sure how the things you mentioned are relevant to being a head coach. 

Vrabel was and is a garbage play caller and defensive coordinator. He's a good head coach though. 

The skillset of an OC isn't the same as what's required to be a HC

The arguments against LaFleur's potential success in Green Bay should center more around his leadership rather than his abilities as an OC. 

He wasn't hired for his leadership. He was hired because he knows SMV offense and can call those plays. If leadership was key, nobody would be saying, "teams are going for offensive minded coaches," and Jeff Fisher would still be coaching. Munch would have never lost his job. 

55 minutes ago, oldschool said:

Have you ever had a valid take on anything? Serious question. You seem to not only be misinformed but incredibly basic in your analysis of football in general.

The difference between you and me, is that I know when I say something that's ignorant as fuck. 

tgo   
7 minutes ago, SleepingTitan said:

He wasn't hired for his leadership. He was hired because he knows SMV offense and can call those plays. If leadership was key, nobody would be saying, "teams are going for offensive minded coaches," and Jeff Fisher would still be coaching. Munch would have never lost his job. 

I had a huge post typed up in response to this but I'm not going to bother. 

FYI though, LaFleur's offense is more Kyle Shanahan than McVay. 

Edited by tgo