Jonboy

Potential Offensive Coordinators to Replace LaFleur

Still amazing we are nearly a week from when LaFleur got the Packers job and not a single name has been officially linked to the vacant OC job.

Have to wonder if Vrabel/JRob have given the in house candidates a couple of days to go away and put together a presentation on what the offense would look like under their direction, either that or they are waiting for a specific target that is still in the playoffs.

Justafan   
4 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

Still amazing we are nearly a week from when LaFleur got the Packers job and not a single name has been officially linked to the vacant OC job.

Have to wonder if Vrabel/JRob have given the in house candidates a couple of days to go away and put together a presentation on what the offense would look like under their direction, either that or they are waiting for a specific target that is still in the playoffs.

My guess is they have someone specific in mind and it's a competitive thing that they don't want the name to leak until they have that person under contract.  

Face   
2 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

I'd have to imagine it's somebody still in the playoffs. If it was somebody like DeFillippo or Helfrich or whoever I'd imagine the interview would've happened already.

Mike Kafka might be a dark horse.

Justafan   
16 minutes ago, tgo said:

Maybe we should keep an eye on Mike Groh as well, who I haven’t seen mentioned.

Mike Groh would be a great hire imo.  

tgo   
6 minutes ago, Face said:

I'd have to imagine it's somebody still in the playoffs. If it was somebody like DeFillippo or Helfrich or whoever I'd imagine the interview would've happened already.

Mike Kafka might be a dark horse.

Could be that interviews have already hapened but a decision hasn’t been made. 

47 minutes ago, Nash said:

So now we can interview Eagles and Colts staff .. .. doubt we interview Cowboys or Charger coaches IMO.. 

You mean we don't want the Whizzinator back?

Face   

I kinda want DeFillilpo, he's right at the top of my list. Everybody thought he was a genius last year, he didn't get dumb in a year....

WG53   
On 1/8/2019 at 12:00 AM, Smokes said:

Conklin not going anywhere.

He's just a year removed from the injury this week and played almost all year, he came back to soon.

Once he was removed Spains play got better due to not having a RT next to him playing on one leg, it's not uncommon for linemen to overcompensate when the guy next to them is struggling.

Kline needs to replaced, they could potentially do this internally.

Spain was the LG not the RG.

8. From the Timing Is Everything Dept.: The Falcons were blocked from talking to Denver’s Gary Kubiak earlier this month about their offensive coordinator opening. Atlanta has had an eye on Kubiak since losing Kyle Shanahan to the Niners two years ago, and my sense is he’d have been a strong favorite for the job if he was available a couple weeks ago. At that point, Denver still believed Kubiak would be its OC, so they weren’t going to let him go. And that’s too bad, because Kubiak would have been perfect in Atlanta. Dan Quinn has insisted on keeping Shanahan’s system in place because of the roaring success the Falcons had with it. And Kubiak is, of course, a mentor of Kyle Shanahan’s, having helped teach him that system.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/01/14/divisional-round-playoffs-saints-patriots-rams-chiefs-coaching-carousel-kyler-murray-mmqb

Soxcat   
6 hours ago, Face said:

I kinda want DeFillilpo, he's right at the top of my list. Everybody thought he was a genius last year, he didn't get dumb in a year....

Or maybe he wasn't a genius?

Interesting that our OC got a HC gig and the guy some people want was fired. 

Face   
28 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

Or maybe he wasn't a genius?

Interesting that our OC got a HC gig and the guy some people want was fired. 

My point is in the NFL the assistant coaching carousel is ridiculous, it's like a high school popularity contest. One year a guy is the hottest OC since 1988 Mike Shanahan & now suddenly nobody is interested in him because he was fired by a guy who basically hates every OC he gets. It's obvious that DeFillippo is excellent,  people rave about him. We should take advantage of the absurd lack of interest in him.

Plus he runs a pretty similar offense & he said last year when he got to Minnesota that he'll adapt to their terminology since they had run a West Coast under Shurmer, as well as keep the running game. So if continuity is as important as our FO says it is, he makes a lot of sense.

The only real difference is that he runs more RPO's then playaction,  as opposed to LaFleur, which is fine with me. Mariota's stats on RPO's last year were great.