Jonboy

Potential Offensive Coordinators to Replace LaFleur

2 minutes ago, tgo said:

Have to keep an eye on the Rams guys too: 

Zac Taylor, Shane Waldron, Aaron Kromer

Would love Zac Taylor but he presents the same problem as LaFleur it's only a matter of time till he gets a HC gig.

Edited by AussieTitanFan08

Justafan   
2 minutes ago, tgo said:

I've thrown out some possibilities lately, but a couple names I hadn't mentioned are: Adam Gase and Freddie Kitchens. 

If we were to open it up and consider switching back to a power scheme, some Patriots and Saints folks could be looked at. 

Like Pete Carmichael (who doesn't currently call plays) and Dan Campbell, or Chad O'Shea if McDaniels were to not get a new gig. 

Right now, my just knee jerk list, with the idea of keeping the scheme intact include: 

1. Pat O'Hara

2. Mike McDaniel

3. Sean Ryan

4. Rick Dennison

5. Adam Gase (similar run scheme to a degree, different passing scheme). 

Kevin Stefanski is another name I'm going to look into a little more. 

I bet it ends up being someone we haven't even zeroed in on. God forbid someone like Steve Sarkisian. 

I really like the idea of Pete Carmichael or Dirk Koetter.

Carmichael is in a similar situation to Lafluer last year though and would likely get snatched up the following year.  Koetter on the other hand, while a failure as a head coach, runs a solid offense.  He's older.  He's an experienced play caller and wouldn't need the supervision that Lafluer needed.  He also would likely be available for 2-3 years at least before getting another shot, assuming the offense starts to hum.  

Freddie Kitchens did amazing things this year and while Gase is a solid coordinator, I wasn't terribly impressed with his offense in Miami.  

scine09   
Just now, AussieTitanFan08 said:

Would love Zac Taylor but he presents the same problem as LaFleur it's only a matter of time till he gets a HC gig.

You can't think like that.  You have to take the best guy.  Otherwise you're settling.

Thrill   
1 minute ago, tgo said:

I've actually done some research on O'Connell when Vrabel was first hired. He was a teammate of Vrabel. 

I'd imagine if they're interested in Defillipo they'd have interest in O'Connell as well. You'd also be less worried about him getting an HC gig. 

tgo   
2 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

Who's your favorite of the group? I wonder how respected Gase is as a playcaller around the league? He didn't seem to do well as the lead guy, but I know many talk about his football mind being one of the best. 

Right now I think I'd be most excited about Gase or McDaniel honestly. 

Gase would not want Vrabel interfering in his shit though and has a major ego. 

A guy like DeFilippo is very interesting - you have to wonder if he would bang heads with Vrabel too. 

If Cleveland hires a new coach and doesn't go with Kitchens, I would think he has to be an option. 

scine09   
Just now, Justafan said:

I really like the idea of Pete Carmichael or Dirk Koetter.

Carmichael is in a similar situation to Lafluer last year though and would likely get snatched up the following year.  Koetter on the other hand, while a failure as a head coach, runs a solid offense.  He's older.  He's an experienced play caller and wouldn't need the supervision that Lafluer needed.  He also would likely be available for 2-3 years at least before getting another shot, assuming the offense starts to hum.  

Freddie Kitchens did amazing things this year and while Gase is a solid coordinator, I wasn't terribly impressed with his offense in Miami.  

No way on Koetter.  He runs an offense similar to Mularkey's.  That's the worst fit for Mariota.

They need a guy similar to LaFleur who will stay with more modern concepts.

Thrill   
Just now, Titans279 said:

Mike LaFleur is 49ers passing game coordinator and Matt's brother.

I say fuck it and get Chip Kelly from UCLA somehow. :P

He'd probably get the OC job in GB with Matt calling the plays.

scine09   
Just now, tgo said:

Right now I think I'd be most excited about Gase or McDaniel honestly. 

Gase would not want Vrabel interfering in his shit though and has a major ego. 

A guy like DeFilippo is very interesting - you have to wonder if he would bang heads with Vrabel too. 

If Cleveland hires a new coach and doesn't go with Kitchens, I would think he has to be an option. 

Doesn't DeFilippo run a different type of offense than LaFleur?

I would say the best would be the following:

1. Cliff Kingsbury - Innovative Offensive mind, but could very well get hired by the Jets or Cardinals as HC

2. John Defillipio - Got the raw end of what was going on in Minnesota. Besides, next year we are going to be pounding the rock anyway. 

3. Freddie Kitchens - Did an amazing job with the Cleveland Offense. This would be only if Cleveland doesn't hire him as HC/the new HC doesn't retain him.

4. Adam Gase - If he doesn't get a HC Job

5. Kevin Stefanski - If he doesn't stay with Minny.