Jonboy

Potential Offensive Coordinators to Replace LaFleur

BudAdams   
9 minutes ago, tgo said:

He talks about putting us in positive field position all the time. He also mentions "complementary football" every single week. And he has elaborating on that in his coaching show - that is - playing a form of offense that gives your defense a chance and Playing special teams in such a way that is beneficial to the other phases. 

That's part of winning in the National Football League. 

Putting up pretty stats and having a big fancy passing offense puts asses in the seats and gets fans excited but it's not what leads to consistently winning in December and January (unless, of course, you have a top 5 QB and you can pretty much do whatever).  

This is the proven formula for winning.  Fans and media experts often fall in love with the passing offenses and points but at the end of the day the team with the best defense usually wins.  Complementary football is an underrated aspect of having a complete team. 

I'll be surprised if either KC or the Rams win it all - mainly because their defenses are pretty bad. 

scine09   
4 minutes ago, tgo said:

Honestly, as stupid as it sounds, Dowell Loggains and Munchak were always was committed to having a game by game philosophy based on the opponent unlike someone like Mularkey. 

Loggains and Vrabel would get along great honestly. Loggains is highly intelligent and super creative/adaptable almost to a fault. 

That said, I don't think that's likely nor am I advocating him for OC or anything (although Tom Gower did throw that out there as a possibility last night). 

I'd take back Loggains.  I hadn't thought of him as a possibility.  And also I don't think he's really looked at as a serious HC candidate so you wouldn't have to worry about losing him.

That's the first negative thing you've ever said about Mularkey I think.

Jonboy   

Helfrich is a really intriguing option. Would mean they're 100% committed to Mariota. 

Sarkisian doesn't excite me at all. 

I don't hate the idea of Weis, but how long has he been out of the game now?

tgo   
1 minute ago, Jonboy said:

I saw Tom throw that out there. That one seems way out of left field for me. I just can't see it. Oddly, I wouldn't hate it. 

I think he'd be a great fit for the current team honestly. I just can't see it happening. Seems too weird. 

I know Arthur Smith and Luke Steckel would recommend him to Vrabel all day though. 

I think he will either follow Gase or Munchak to wherever they get hired or follow Gase to Detroit to be his QB coach. 

(Or he could be the OC in waiting here (QB coach) if the Titans hired Gase. But I think Detroit has the edge on us, with Stafford there)

tgo   
Just now, Jonboy said:

Helfrich is a really intriguing option. Would mean they're 100% committed to Mariota. 

Sarkisian doesn't excite me at all. 

I don't hate the idea of Weiss, but how long has he been out of the game now?

Yeah Weis just seems highly unlikely for that reason. 

Sarkisian makes a ridiculous amount of sense to me right now, but he wouldn't excite me either. 

tgo   
2 minutes ago, scine09 said:

I'd take back Loggains.  I hadn't thought of him as a possibility.  And also I don't think he's really looked at as a serious HC candidate so you wouldn't have to worry about losing him.

That's the first negative thing you've ever said about Mularkey I think.

This is exactly what I was thinking. 

And regarding Mularkey - I don't think it's a flat out negative thing for a team in transition from garbage to decency. I just think it limits your upside - makes your success too circumstantial on a year to year basis. 

BudAdams   

Whisenhunt WAS the OC here when he was the HC.  He'd end Mariota's career because Mariota would hold the ball too long and break into pieces.  Whiz requires a veteran HOF caliber QB.  With one, his offense is good to great.  Without Warner or Rivers, his track record is a fucking train wreck.

Not to mention AAS would never hire him again.  He pretty much told her to STFU and kept on getting the QB's killed.

scine09   
1 minute ago, tgo said:

This is exactly what I was thinking. 

And regarding Mularkey - I don't think it's a flat out negative thing for a team in transition from garbage to decency. I just think it limits your upside - makes your success too circumstantial on a year to year basis. 

I actually think he's my favorite at the moment.  Loggains would be a terrific hire.

tgo   
1 minute ago, scine09 said:

I actually think he's my favorite at the moment.  Loggains would be a terrific hire.

Kuharsky's reaction was probably similar to most fans initial reaction - "Loggains - are you serious?"

But when you really consider everything, it makes a lot of sense. 

IMO - In order for that to happen, A) Gase would have to not get a HC job, and B) Either Munchak would have to not get a HC job, or have Kubiak forced on him in Denver. 

big2033   

So now everyone wants a vet OC? 

Yawn.

I feel like everyone is looking for a perfect storm person for our OC.

It doesn't' exist.

Just hire someone who can continue with the direction this offense is going.

BudAdams   

Why is Loggains a good candidate?  He was the OC in Chicago in 2016/2017 and with Miami this year.  28th, 29th, and 26th in points scored.  The Titans offense he led in 2013 was mediocre at best.

Hiring a guy because he's not going to be coveted is just dumb.  Hire the best guy.

tgo   

Random observation regarding Loggains: 

So Munchak has a close relationship with Dowell (and knows Matt Burke too), and he declined the Dolphins HC job, presumably bc of the owner and the organizational structure there. 

Who do you think he talked to to ask about all that and whether it's a good job? (Answer: Dowell Loggains). 

Could that be an indication that Loggains is done in Miami even if a new HC wanted to keep him? Not sure, but maybe. 

tgo   
1 minute ago, BudAdams said:

Why is Loggains a good candidate?  He was the OC in Chicago in 2016/2017 and with Miami this year.  28th, 29th, and 26th in points scored.  The Titans offense he led in 2013 was mediocre at best.

Hiring a guy because he's not going to be coveted is just dumb.  Hire the best guy.

I was reading an article yesterday about how much Fox dictated things to Loggains in Chicago. Also look at who his QBs were. Trubisky started playing better as Fox took the reigns off Loggains and allowed him to be more creative. 

Mariota (in year 5) is probably the best QB Loggains will have coached. Loggains was instrumental in developing Trubisky actually. 

But honestly, from my perspective, that's one of the appealing things about him. He has experience working around limited quarterbacks. 

*braces for impact*