Jonboy

Potential Offensive Coordinators to Replace LaFleur

2 minutes ago, charleytolar said:

I know this is a joke but like a lot of jokes there is a kernel of truth. There is no point, no point, in hiring the next hot young offensive coordinator when we are trying to create some stability. We don't need the next guy to be here a year or two and then leave only to have to repeat that pattern yet again for the third time.

Maybe we should have hired LaFleur as our HC?

BudAdams   

You hire the best guy for what the HC wants on the field.  Ideally you want stability but any assistant who comes in here and has great success is going to have an opportunity to get a head gig. 

I think the hire will have west coast/zbs roots whether it be the Shanahan or Reid versions.  That should provide enough stability in the scheme.

big2033   
13 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

I mean, a great offensive mind got A LOT out of Smith. He had the best passer rating in 2017

Overall he was still average though, average enough for them to get rid of him for better talent.

In the end, the good ones become good QBs. That's why I'm not overally dejected about this. If Mariota succeeds, it'll be him who does it not a magical OC who's around for 3 years.

Edited by big2033

1 minute ago, big2033 said:

Overall he was still average though, average enough for them to get rid of him for better talent.

I just find it annoying how narratives get put out like "OC doesn't matter" when it's obviously false

scine09   
1 minute ago, Titans279 said:

I just find it annoying how narratives get put out like "OC doesn't matter" when it's obviously false

Of course the offensive coordinator matters.  If the guy calling the play is calling plays that can't or won't work then he's a liability to the team.

10 minutes ago, scine09 said:

Of course the offensive coordinator matters.  If the guy calling the play is calling plays that can't or won't work then he's a liability to the team.

Terry *cough* Robiskie.

tgo   

With Sarkisian, we'd be able to keep Carter as the run game coach most likely, as he worked with Sarkisian. The run game concepts would probably be close to identical. 

Sarkisian's offense apparently is a short passing game with heavy play action. Who does that sound like it fits?

Does anyone have any knowledge on whether his alcohol problems persist?

Edited by tgo

5 minutes ago, scine09 said:

Robiskie was a puppet for Mularkey.

Most likely.

But he was still the moron calling the same play that wasn't working waiting for it to pop.

Just because he was Mularkey's moron doesn't mean he was less of a moron.

scine09   
Just now, TitanDuckFan said:

Most likely.

But he was still the moron calling the same play that wasn't working waiting for it to pop.

What's he supposed to do, defy the boss?

3 minutes ago, TitanDuckFan said:

Most likely.

To be fair that strategy worked for the Seahawks for a while :P

But yeah I hate that.

4 minutes ago, TitanDuckFan said:

Most likely.

How many times did lafluer call that up the middle play that got stuffed every time before they got off it? How many times did he run Lewis on 3rd and 1?

BudAdams   
15 minutes ago, tgo said:

With Sarkisian, we'd be able to keep Carter as the run game coach most likely, as he worked with Sarkisian. The run game concepts would probably be close to identical. 

Sarkisian's offense apparently is a short passing game with heavy play action. Who does that sound like it fits?

Does anyone have any knowledge on whether his alcohol problems persist?

No - he was a big drinker when he was the HC at UW and USC.  Hit rock bottom at SC and was clean and sober before Saban hired him at Alabama.

He hits a lot of check marks.  I also wonder if Darrell Bevel is a candidate.  He did good work with Favre in Minnesota and with Wilson in Seattle.

japan   
5 hours ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

Yep. This is what I expect and I think it’s a good idea for Mariota’s potentially last season. 

big2033   
37 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

Of course the OC matters. But Mariota isn't finished because of changing OCs.

Great players play well regardless, that's why the OC keeps his job most of the time and there's continuity.

A bad OC with a great QB will make things harder for the QB ... but they'll still perform - you can use Russell Wilson as an example.

Sakresian with Matt Ryan is another example.

A bad QB will make any OC look bad.

Edited by big2033