Jonboy

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Alright, @tgo...it's your time!  

Fucking hire Kubiak.   Here’s my new list:    1. Kubiak 2. Kubiak 3. Kubiak 4. Kubiak 5. Kubiak

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, charleytolar said:

It's a copycat league. All the HC jobs are going to  young offensive coordinators-- including our own your OC who left for Green Bay, but many here predict that he will will flame out and is in no way ready for that job since the one he did here was unremarkable.

I liked Mularkey. He did some things well; he failed at some things-- like most HCs-- pretty much all of whom get fired eventually because of their imperfections. 

The historical problems of the Buffalo, Jacksonville and Titan franchises do not just lay at the feet of Mularkey. He was barely at any of them long enough to have been able to  make a lasting difference.

Forgive me for taking the long-term view of things! I think there is a lot to be gained.

As Beedoe points out, it was a sham of a search.

The Walrus held a presser and assured us all the phone was ringing off the hook, and we fell for it hook, line and sinker.

Because in the end they did nothing but re-tread the retread. (retard?)

And then allowed him to bring in an assistant to call plays who was absolutely abysmal at the task, and obviously lacked the ability to exploit defensive weaknesses that occur in situational football.  He was stuck on stupid.

It didn't work.

10 minutes ago, charleytolar said:

Coaches hired in 2016

IN

Pederson

OUT

Gase

Kelly

Jackson

McAdoo

Koetter

Exactly! Had the best GM for the job been given the opportunity to choose his guy, do you believe that guy would have been fired after reaching the divisional round in the playoffs? That is the catalyst for Marcus facing his 4th OC in 5 years, thus stunting his development, which has delayed this franchise's ascension to its ultimate goal. It is the butterfly effect.

2 minutes ago, TitanDuckFan said:

It didn't work.

.. and yet we were in and actually won a playoff game in how long?

It wasn't THAT bad. Every team is working overtime to get better every year so what's new?

I would consider making an argument that Mularkey brought a great, great culture change that was able to overcome some of those obvious problems on the field. Too bad, for him, that he stuck by his assistants.

We are fine with Vrabel but I will still choose to honor Mularkey rather than deride him because of the circumstances of his retention.

4 minutes ago, BeedoeLaw said:

Exactly! Had the best GM for the job been given the opportunity to choose his guy, do you believe that guy would have been fired after reaching the divisional round in the playoffs? That is the catalyst for Marcus facing his 4th OC in 5 years, thus stunting his development, which has delayed this franchise's ascension to its ultimate goal. It is the butterfly effect.

So you think it was "destiny" that the Titans would have made that division playoff round with J-Rob's unknown candidate?

The "best GMs for the job" hired six coaches for their franchises that year and only one survives to this day in that same job. What "exactly" are you referring to? Almost nothing is the same from 2016-- except Pederson and they had an up-and-down  year once again rescued by the best backup QB in the game.

We had Gabbert... signed by the "best GM for the job."

8 minutes ago, charleytolar said:

It wasn't THAT bad. Every team is working overtime to get better every year so what's new?

I would consider making an argument that Mularkey brought a great, great culture change that was able to overcome some of those obvious problems on the field. Too bad, for him, that he stuck by his assistants.

We are fine with Vrabel but I will still choose to honor Mularkey rather than deride him because of the circumstances of his retention.

Go have your 15 page running debate with someone else Charley.

If it had worked in N'ville, it would be working for someone else, somewhere else.

It didn't and it doesn't and it won't.

Have a nice day, and stop being a troll.

HA!

3 minutes ago, charleytolar said:

And yet he was fired. I think you are overlooking the fact that forcing a coach, that has failed in two previous stops, on a newly appointed GM is and was a huge mistake. Hell, forcing any coach on a newly appointed GM is a mistake. Sans Belichick, Parcells, Walsh or some other hofer.

5 minutes ago, charleytolar said:

We rode a ridiculously easy schedule with a healthy team to barely make the playoffs in a weak year for the AFC, in which the lowly Jags made the freaking AFC championship game. 

We were better in some ways this year defensively, but I don't think the jump in talent made the difference between being middle of the pack and #3 in scoring.  Especially since Morgan, Orakpo, and Jones were non-factors.  Offensively, we could have been a completely different team with Walker, Matthews, a healthy O line, a coach who knew how to manage Davis' injuries and implement him effectively, and of course a QB who could grip a ball.  The difference in this year's NE victory and last year's defeat was nearly 100% coaching.

4 minutes ago, charleytolar said:

So you think it was "destiny" that the Titans would have made that division playoff round with J-Rob's unknown candidate?

The "best GMs for the job" hired six coaches for their franchises that year and only one survives to this day in that same job. What "exactly" are you referring to? Almost nothing is the same from 2016-- except Pederson and they had an up-and-down  year once again rescued by the best backup QB in the game.

Correction, the best GM that would take the job saddled by the owners demands to have Mularkey as the HC.

I believe any GM would be much more likely to stay the course with their guy. Would we have reached the divisional round? Noone knows, but there is a good chance the stability would have allowed Marcus to flourish by this point in his career making the Titans a better team.

Just now, NewsToTom said:

Obviously, at this point, if it's not a playoff coach, we're waiting on Miami to hire Flores and decide he wants his own OC so we can bring back Dowell.

I think Gase is waiting for Dowell to be released from his contract so he can hire him. 

16 minutes ago, charleytolar said:

That same GM watched Gabbert beat a Mularkey led team. LOL

We all have our own opinions about the Mularkey hire, but the results speak for themselves.  

Of the coaches hired in 2016, only one (Mularkey) led his team to winning records in each of the next two seasons...and this with a team that had managed only five wins in the previous two years combined.  

He certainly isn’t a *great* coach...but he’s a good enough coach who clearly had some success and whose methods obviously worked to some level.

I don’t fault anyone for criticizing the hiring process or Mularkey’s philosophy, and he clearly had his own faults and shortcomings that ultimately led to his dismissal...but he was instrumental in restoring a level of respectability in an organization that had become a joke and an afterthought under the previous regime.