Potential Offensive Coordinators to Replace LaFleur

Jonboy

40 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Looks like they’re going all in on Marcus for a year. The reason I don’t like it is because if the experiment fails then what do you do with Smith? I’m more concerned about losing a good coach than I am Mariota at this point...ha! 

I honestly wouldnt rule out a rookie QB coming here thats picked in the second or 3rd round. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Alright, @tgo...it's your time!  

Fucking hire Kubiak.   Here’s my new list:    1. Kubiak 2. Kubiak 3. Kubiak 4. Kubiak 5. Kubiak

Posted Images

I’d be fine with Arthur Smith.  

He’s been through a few coaching changes, so he’s worked in several different systems and philosophies.  I’m sure he would draw from  each of them for his own system and philosophy....not only for what to do, but also for what NOT to do.

JRob is still building a track record...but so far, he seems to have a good instinct for  good coaching hires.   If he thinks Arthur Smith is the man for the job, then I’m on board.

46 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Looks like they’re going all in on Marcus for a year. The reason I don’t like it is because if the experiment fails then what do you do with Smith? I’m more concerned about losing a good coach than I am Mariota at this point...ha! 

Well, keeping things similar going into next year and hopefully thereafter is about way more than Marcus. Marcus is smart and can adapt at this stage of his career - it's the other guys that I worry about. The rest of the offense needs continuity as well. 

2 minutes ago, headhunter said:

If Smith was to be hired would we hire a passing game coordinator?

Possibly. Or a senior assistant to help with that. 

Or just have O'Hara (Or even Dews possibly) coordinate the passing game. 

Edited by tgo

4 minutes ago, tgo said:

Well, keeping things similar going into next year and hopefully thereafter is about way more than Marcus. Marcus is smart and can adapt at this stage of his career - it's the other guys that I worry about. The rest of the offense needs continuity as well. 

Robinson said in some interview or another something along the lines of ‘learning a new offense is like learning a new language. Marcus is on his fifth language’. That’s what I meant. They’re trying to give him one last shot. They’ve seen the glimpses we all have. 

Just now, IsntLifeFunny said:

Robinson said in some interview or another something along the lines of ‘learning a new offense is like learning a new language. Marcus is on his fifth language’. That’s what I meant. They’re trying to give him one last shot. They’ve seen the glimpses we all have. 

Yeah for sure, I just think as a fan base we're underestimating the affects on the other offensive positions and that that has to be taken into account as well in terms of offensive functionality as a whole. 

How are guys like Henry and Davis supposed to to take the next step or do things like Henry learning pass protection or Davis developing more of a feel for the route tree or whatever when they're switching offenses every year. 

1. Arthur Smith

2. Sean Ryan

3. Dave Ragone

4. Marty Mornhinweg

5. Mike McCoy

The Others: 

Bill Lazor

Mike Devlin

Kevin O'Connell

George Godsey

Joe Philbin

Rick Dennison

Eric Studesville

Bill Musgrave

Todd Downing

Geep Chryst

Charlie Weis (Unlikely. Very Retired. Very fat/unhealthy)

*Playoff Coaches Excluded

I should also note that the only guys on this entire list from the Shanahan tree that would represent true offensive continuity are Musgrave, Dennison, Studesville, Chryst. 

Edited by tgo

3 hours ago, headhunter said:

If Smith was to be hired would we hire a passing game coordinator?

Would that be necessary?

The guy has been coaching the TEs for 3 years.  He has seen his players, like Delanie, lined up outside, in the slot, and in-line.  Why would he not know the passing game?  Frontwards and backwards.

He can probably describe/recite the route trees in his sleep.

6 minutes ago, TitanDuckFan said:

Would that be necessary?

The guy has been coaching the TEs for 3 years.  He has seen his players, like Delanie, lined up outside, in the slot, and in-line.  Why would he not know the passing game?  Frontwards and backwards.

He can probably describe/recite the route trees in his sleep.

We're not behind the scenes

Read he had his hands in the run game more than passing