Jonboy

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Alright, @tgo...it's your time!  

Fucking hire Kubiak.   Here’s my new list:    1. Kubiak 2. Kubiak 3. Kubiak 4. Kubiak 5. Kubiak

Posted Images

On 1/8/2019 at 12:00 AM, Smokes said:

Conklin not going anywhere.

He's just a year removed from the injury this week and played almost all year, he came back to soon.

Once he was removed Spains play got better due to not having a RT next to him playing on one leg, it's not uncommon for linemen to overcompensate when the guy next to them is struggling.

Kline needs to replaced, they could potentially do this internally.

Spain was the LG not the RG.

8. From the Timing Is Everything Dept.: The Falcons were blocked from talking to Denver’s Gary Kubiak earlier this month about their offensive coordinator opening. Atlanta has had an eye on Kubiak since losing Kyle Shanahan to the Niners two years ago, and my sense is he’d have been a strong favorite for the job if he was available a couple weeks ago. At that point, Denver still believed Kubiak would be its OC, so they weren’t going to let him go. And that’s too bad, because Kubiak would have been perfect in Atlanta. Dan Quinn has insisted on keeping Shanahan’s system in place because of the roaring success the Falcons had with it. And Kubiak is, of course, a mentor of Kyle Shanahan’s, having helped teach him that system.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/01/14/divisional-round-playoffs-saints-patriots-rams-chiefs-coaching-carousel-kyler-murray-mmqb

28 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

Or maybe he wasn't a genius?

Interesting that our OC got a HC gig and the guy some people want was fired. 

My point is in the NFL the assistant coaching carousel is ridiculous, it's like a high school popularity contest. One year a guy is the hottest OC since 1988 Mike Shanahan & now suddenly nobody is interested in him because he was fired by a guy who basically hates every OC he gets. It's obvious that DeFillippo is excellent,  people rave about him. We should take advantage of the absurd lack of interest in him.

Plus he runs a pretty similar offense & he said last year when he got to Minnesota that he'll adapt to their terminology since they had run a West Coast under Shurmer, as well as keep the running game. So if continuity is as important as our FO says it is, he makes a lot of sense.

The only real difference is that he runs more RPO's then playaction,  as opposed to LaFleur, which is fine with me. Mariota's stats on RPO's last year were great.

I'm not sure what would incentivize Kubiak to come on board if none of our staff will be leaving. 

Maybe something like adding his son as assistant QBs coach and then hiring a Rick Dennison or a Bill Musgrave as senior offensive assistant or run game coordinator or something would be enough. And just pay him a lot of money?

While it seems like the Titans are really dragging their feet on this, keep in mind that the Lions, Jaguars, Bengals, Dolphins, Cardinals, Broncos are all still looking for an OC too. 

Robinson just runs a really tight ship apparently. 

8 hours ago, Face said:

I kinda want DeFillilpo, he's right at the top of my list. Everybody thought he was a genius last year, he didn't get dumb in a year....

Yeah from what I’ve seen around the web, Zimmer was forcing certain plays on him. 

Just now, heyitsmeallen said:

Yeah from what I’ve seen around the web, Zimmer was forcing certain plays on him. 

Well Vrabel is going to be forcing plays too. He may not be as stubborn and hard ass as Zimmer, but he definitely has a hand in the offense as well. 

So that could be a problem. 

Not to mention that DeFilippo could be gone after a year or two at the max. 

3 minutes ago, tgo said:

Well Vrabel is going to be forcing plays too. He may not be as stubborn and hard ass as Zimmer, but he definitely has a hand in the offense as well. 

I feel like you guys are overstating this. The Rams ran a lot as well, it's just that we weren't as efficient through the air for the offense to work as designed.

The Rams offense runs through the running game. We wanted to run a similar offense.

Edited by big2033

Just now, tgo said:

Yea, I think Vrabel will be a big turnoff for some OC's.  It's one of the reasons that, while I really want him to come here, I don't think Kubiak is a realistic option.  Vrabel just isn't going to be interested in giving up that kind of power and Kubiak isn't going to be interested in having his offense dictated in any way.  

How stupid are the Falcons for not being patient and waiting to hire Kubiak by the way?

They desperately wanted to continue the Shanahan offense and they had everything in place to lure him there. Coaching openings, the QB, the offense, everything. 

It would have been a perfect fit. 

8 hours ago, Face said:

I kinda want DeFillilpo, he's right at the top of my list. Everybody thought he was a genius last year, he didn't get dumb in a year....

I agree and think he'd be great. Only reason I haven't been pushing harder for him is because he'd likely leave for a HC job if we have a solid season.