Potential Offensive Coordinators to Replace LaFleur

Jonboy

4 minutes ago, tgo said:

@BeedoeLaw

That's incredibly stupid. Vrabel says that all the time. I guess we should fire him!

During an interview is very different than talking with the media. 

Btw, I especially agree with point #1. I was impressed by what Vrabel did in year 1, but I'm still surprised - even a year later - they didn't go with an offensive-minded HC. That's the trend and most of the teams having huge success right now have a HC who either calls plays or is heavily involved (Reid, Payton, Reich, Pederson, etc.).

I hadn't even really considered the fact that a young OC having success is almost always going to be hired away. Heck, LaFleur didn't even have much success here and he's gone. You could be right about them leaning toward a more established type who probably isn't looking to be a HC soon. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Alright, @tgo...it's your time!  

Fucking hire Kubiak.   Here’s my new list:    1. Kubiak 2. Kubiak 3. Kubiak 4. Kubiak 5. Kubiak

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

It depends on the situation and the personnel. He obviously flips the game plan according to the opponent. Look at the massive differences from the offense against Philly, NE, and Dal to the late games of Jax, Washington, and the Giants. I love that about the guy. He’ll adjust accordingly. 

Yes.  My point was his goal is not to do what Fisher wanted to do.  Pound the team into submission, win the TOP and field position battle and win a tight game at the end.  Some games do depend on field position, particularly when the other team is elite defensively or the weather is bad.  But when a coach is bringing it up as part of his philosophy, forget about it.

@Jonboy

I'm kind of adjusting my expectations and shortlist based on that assumption. But who knows, maybe they go with a DeFelippo type or Brian Callahan or Kevin Stefanski who ends up getting hired away next offseason. 

There's 7-8 openings a year these days and guys get snatched up and recycled in no time. 

Edited by tgo

2 minutes ago, scine09 said:

Yes.  My point was his goal is not to do what Fisher wanted to do.  Pound the team into submission, win the TOP and field position battle and win a tight game at the end.  Some games do depend on field position, particularly when the other team is elite defensively or the weather is bad.  But when a coach is bringing it up as part of his philosophy, forget about it.

Well yeah, that's where adaptability and truly changing the game plan based on opponent comes into play. 

1 minute ago, tgo said:

Well yeah, that's where adaptability and truly changing the game plan based on opponent comes into play. 

Right.  This is where he's different than any coach that the franchise has had since the move to Tennessee.  Maybe Munchak was but I don't think he really had a philosophy.  But the others had a specific philosophy and didn't appear to be able to deviate from it.

1 minute ago, tgo said:

@Jonboy

I'm kind of adjusting my expectations and shortlist based on that assumption. But who knows, maybe they go with a DeFelippo type or Brian Callahan or Kevin Stefanski who ends up getting hired away next offseason. 

I love DeFilippo, but considering this, I think they may need more of a Whisenhunt type. Someone who everybody knows is a great playcaller, but sucks enough as a HC that no one would want to hire him. ?

So that leaves....Koetter? McCarthy? Gase? Maybe Jim Caldwell?

Just now, Jonboy said:

I love DeFilippo, but considering this, I think they may need more of a Whisenhunt type. Someone who everybody knows is a great playcaller, but sucks enough as a HC that no one would want to hire him. ?<span>

How about Whisenhunt himself?  If he was available I'd seriously make a run at him.

Of course he's not so not an issue.

Koetter, no way.  He runs an offense that goes against Mariota's strengths.  I've been hyping McCarthy since the announcement was made.  Gase will want a new HC job (so will McCarthy).  I've even heard rumors about Caldwell as a HC.

Just now, scine09 said:

Right.  This is where he's different than any coach that the franchise has had since the move to Tennessee.  Maybe Munchak was but I don't think he really had a philosophy.  But the others had a specific philosophy and didn't appear to be able to deviate from it.

Honestly, as stupid as it sounds, Dowell Loggains and Munchak were always was committed to having a game by game philosophy based on the opponent unlike someone like Mularkey. 

Loggains and Vrabel would get along great honestly. Loggains is highly intelligent and super creative/adaptable almost to a fault. 

That said, I don't think that's likely nor am I advocating him for OC or anything (although Tom Gower did throw that out there as a possibility last night). 

2 minutes ago, tgo said:

Honestly, as stupid as it sounds, Dowell Loggains and Munchak were always was committed to having a game by game philosophy based on the opponent unlike someone like Mularkey. 

Loggains and Vrabel would get along great honestly. Loggains is highly intelligent and super creative/adaptable almost to a fault. 

That said, I don't think that's likely nor am I advocating him for OC or anything (although Tom Gower did throw that out there as a possibility last night). 

I saw Tom throw that out there. That one seems way out of left field for me. I just can't see it. Oddly, I wouldn't hate it. 

2 minutes ago, scine09 said:

How about Whisenhunt himself?  If he was available I'd seriously make a run at him.

Of course he's not so not an issue.

Koetter, no way.  He runs an offense that goes against Mariota's strengths.  I've been hyping McCarthy since the announcement was made.  Gase will want a new HC job (so will McCarthy).  I've even heard rumors about Caldwell as a HC.

1000% I'd take Whiz back as an OC. I'd love to see his offense now that we have a decent o-line and not starting Jeremiah Poutasi at RT. 

2 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

I love DeFilippo, but considering this, I think they may need more of a Whisenhunt type. Someone who everybody knows is a great playcaller, but sucks enough as a HC that no one would want to hire him. ?

Gase definitely gets another shot if not this year then in short order. 

I don't think Koetter or Caldwell fit very well and I think McCarthy wants to sit out a year if there's no HC

I would think guys like  Sarkisian, Helfrich, Philbin, (even Weis maybe???) would fit the bill. 

I've heavily considered Monken since Robinson will have familiarity but the system deviation would be extreme. 

9 minutes ago, tgo said:

He talks about putting us in positive field position all the time. He also mentions "complementary football" every single week. And he has elaborating on that in his coaching show - that is - playing a form of offense that gives your defense a chance and Playing special teams in such a way that is beneficial to the other phases. 

That's part of winning in the National Football League. 

Putting up pretty stats and having a big fancy passing offense puts asses in the seats and gets fans excited but it's not what leads to consistently winning in December and January (unless, of course, you have a top 5 QB and you can pretty much do whatever).  

This is the proven formula for winning.  Fans and media experts often fall in love with the passing offenses and points but at the end of the day the team with the best defense usually wins.  Complementary football is an underrated aspect of having a complete team. 

I'll be surprised if either KC or the Rams win it all - mainly because their defenses are pretty bad. 

4 minutes ago, tgo said:

I'd take back Loggains.  I hadn't thought of him as a possibility.  And also I don't think he's really looked at as a serious HC candidate so you wouldn't have to worry about losing him.

That's the first negative thing you've ever said about Mularkey I think.