Potential Offensive Coordinators to Replace LaFleur

Jonboy

14 minutes ago, ap24786 said:

He finally had a good OC and that was the same year Delanie (his most trusted target) got injured for the year and Matthews quit the team. Also the same year where the pass protection which was good in 2016 and at least average last year went to crap this year. And of course the year where he had a fluke nerve injury in his throwing arm which lingered the entire season. And now he loses his OC because he gets a HC job with a legacy franchise. 

Luck had a cut TE, one receiver and a RB from the fourth round ... and there was talk at the beginning of the year his shoulder was shot. All with a new OC.

He made it work.

Russell Wilson makes it work.

Tom Brady with endless injuries at WR makes it work.

I could keep adding to the QBs who do it on this list ... down to Cam Newton with his WR/Te injuries and issues.

I'm not saying a great OC can't take a QB to the next level. But above average QBs stay above average regardless of who their OC is.

The numbers won't be great, but they won't be bad. Our QBs numbers have been bad. If he plays better, he'll be in the in 20+TD range regardless of the OC or continuity.

Mariota had 26TDs with Mike Mularkey. So I'm not concerned. If Mariota is our QB of the future, we'll know. No OC will determine that.

Edited by big2033

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Alright, @tgo...it's your time!  

Fucking hire Kubiak.   Here’s my new list:    1. Kubiak 2. Kubiak 3. Kubiak 4. Kubiak 5. Kubiak

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, big2033 said:

Luck had a cut TE, one receiver and a RB from the fourth round ... and there was talk at the beginning of the year his shoulder was shot. All with a new OC.

He made it work.

Russell Wilson makes it work.

Tom Brady with endless injuries makes it work.

You;re listing dudes I think are great and Mariota  isn't close to them. By the way people used to think Luck was overrated because of his low passer ratings and turnovers early in his career. Just goes to show how better pieces around you can make you a lot better. By the way, Luck doesn't have fantastic receivers but I would say TY and Ebron are very good. Mariota didn't have any great receivers early in his career either. But he did have a good line. Just like Luck does now. 

7 minutes ago, ap24786 said:

You;re listing dudes I think are great and Mariota  isn't close to them. By the way people used to think Luck was overrated because of his low passer ratings and turnovers early in his career. Just goes to show how better pieces around you can make you a lot better. By the way, Luck doesn't have fantastic receivers but I would say TY and Ebron are very good. Mariota didn't have any great receivers early in his career either. But he did have a good line. Just like Luck does now. 

If you don't think he is close or can be, get ready for a new QB.

Just like the Chiefs. Teams are straddled with average QBs, at a certain point they want the elite ones or they're wasting their time.

Luck has always been great. His career numbers and performances show that in spades.

People have questioned the staff around him. But he was still putting up elite numbers and having elite performances.

He was exceeding his coaches. 

Edited by big2033

Just now, scine09 said:

Terrific stuff.  If I was a GM and I heard "manageable 3rd downs" or "flip the field" that would likely be it for me as well.

Someone tell Jon Robinson to fire Vrabel right away. 

I think he probably said that 20 times in press conferences and on his radio show, etc. throughout the season. 

Just now, tgo said:

@BeedoeLaw

That's incredibly stupid. Vrabel says that all the time. I guess we should fire him!

Maybe as part of the game plan.  But philosophically it's not the way to build a winning team.  I honestly don't think that Vrabel looks at winning as trying to win TOP, field position and pounding the other team down to win at the end of the game.

1 minute ago, scine09 said:

Maybe as part of the game plan.  But philosophically it's not the way to build a winning team.  I honestly don't think that Vrabel looks at winning as trying to win TOP, field position and pounding the other team down to win at the end of the game.

It depends on the situation and the personnel. He obviously flips the game plan according to the opponent. Look at the massive differences from the offense against Philly, NE, and Dal to the late games of Jax, Washington, and the Giants. I love that about the guy. He’ll adjust accordingly. 

2 hours ago, scine09 said:

He talks about putting us in positive field position all the time. He also mentions "complementary football" every single week. And he has elaborated on that in his coaching show - that is - playing a form of offense that gives your defense a chance and Playing special teams in such a way that is beneficial to the other phases. 

That's part of winning in the National Football League. 

Putting up pretty stats and having a big fancy passing offense puts asses in the seats and gets fans excited but it's not what leads to consistently winning in December and January (unless, of course, you have a top 5 QB and you can pretty much do whatever).  

Edited by tgo

3 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

It depends on the situation and the personnel. He obviously flips the game plan according to the opponent. Look at the massive differences from the offense against Philly, NE, and Dal to the late games of Jax, Washington, and the Giants. I love that about the guy. He’ll adjust accordingly. 

Very true. 

But he also understands the importance of complementary football, manageable third downs, field position, and discipline/mistake free football. 

Edited by tgo