Potential Offensive Coordinators to Replace LaFleur

Jonboy

13 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

I mean, a great offensive mind got A LOT out of Smith. He had the best passer rating in 2017

Overall he was still average though, average enough for them to get rid of him for better talent.

In the end, the good ones become good QBs. That's why I'm not overally dejected about this. If Mariota succeeds, it'll be him who does it not a magical OC who's around for 3 years.

Edited by big2033

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Alright, @tgo...it's your time!  

Fucking hire Kubiak.   Here’s my new list:    1. Kubiak 2. Kubiak 3. Kubiak 4. Kubiak 5. Kubiak

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Titans279 said:

I just find it annoying how narratives get put out like "OC doesn't matter" when it's obviously false

Of course the offensive coordinator matters.  If the guy calling the play is calling plays that can't or won't work then he's a liability to the team.

With Sarkisian, we'd be able to keep Carter as the run game coach most likely, as he worked with Sarkisian. The run game concepts would probably be close to identical. 

Sarkisian's offense apparently is a short passing game with heavy play action. Who does that sound like it fits?

Does anyone have any knowledge on whether his alcohol problems persist?

Edited by tgo

Just now, TitanDuckFan said:

Most likely.

But he was still the moron calling the same play that wasn't working waiting for it to pop.

Just because he was Mularkey's moron doesn't mean he was less of a moron.

What's he supposed to do, defy the boss?

3 minutes ago, TitanDuckFan said:

Most likely.

But he was still the moron calling the same play that wasn't working waiting for it to pop.

Just because he was Mularkey's moron doesn't mean he was less of a moron.

To be fair that strategy worked for the Seahawks for a while :P

But yeah I hate that.

15 minutes ago, tgo said:

With Sarkisian, we'd be able to keep Carter as the run game coach most likely, as he worked with Sarkisian. The run game concepts would probably be close to identical. 

Sarkisian's offense apparently is a short passing game with heavy play action. Who does that sound like it fits?

Does anyone have any knowledge on whether his alcohol problems persist?

No - he was a big drinker when he was the HC at UW and USC.  Hit rock bottom at SC and was clean and sober before Saban hired him at Alabama.

He hits a lot of check marks.  I also wonder if Darrell Bevel is a candidate.  He did good work with Favre in Minnesota and with Wilson in Seattle.

37 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

I just find it annoying how narratives get put out like "OC doesn't matter" when it's obviously false

Of course the OC matters. But Mariota isn't finished because of changing OCs.

Great players play well regardless, that's why the OC keeps his job most of the time and there's continuity.

A bad OC with a great QB will make things harder for the QB ... but they'll still perform - you can use Russell Wilson as an example.

Sakresian with Matt Ryan is another example.

A bad QB will make any OC look bad.

Edited by big2033

Just now, big2033 said:

True but it definitely has a negative impact

Great players play well regardless, that's why the OC keeps his job most of the time and there's continuity.

Not always

A bad OC with a great QB will make things harder for the QB ... but they'll still perform - you can use Russell Wilson as an example.

Not always

Yeah

More on Sarkisian: 

1. Runs a lot of RPO

2. Runs a lot of screens

3. Runs outside zone

4. Very heavy play action

5. Short passing game 

College and pro mindset both, Vrabel values the college perspective. There are a lot of staff and front office connections between our staff and the Patriots connections to draw info from regarding Sarkisian and get full perspectives. 

Additionally, I doubt he'd be a hot HC candidate anytime soon. Would be interested in some different perspectives on that angle. 

Edited by tgo

5 minutes ago, big2033 said:

Sakresian with Matt Ryan is another example.

He finally had a good OC and that was the same year Delanie (his most trusted target) got injured for the year and Matthews quit the team. Also the same year where the pass protection which was good in 2016 and at least average last year went to crap this year. And of course the year where he had a fluke nerve injury in his throwing arm which lingered the entire season. And now he loses his OC because he gets a HC job with a legacy franchise.