Jonboy

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Alright, @tgo...it's your time!  

Fucking hire Kubiak.   Here’s my new list:    1. Kubiak 2. Kubiak 3. Kubiak 4. Kubiak 5. Kubiak

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Face said:

I saw Charlie Weis down the Jersey Shore in 2012 & he looked HORRIBLE.  He was so corpulenrly fat & gross he was driving around in a scooter. His groin fat alone had to be 150+. He looked on the verge of death, pouring out sweat. This was 7 years ago. God knows what his condition is now....

Lol oh, I see.

1 hour ago, tgo said:

The more I think about it, the more I believe that hiring LaFleur was a mistake. Maybe they did it thinking they could get some of Mariota's fundamentals corrected before LaFleur left and give him an expert level intro into the Shanahan system?

And from what Mariota said (and no, I don’t have a link. I read it in a thread a while back) he had already had a firm grasp on the concepts and what-not. 

1 minute ago, StephenIsLegend said:

And from what Mariota said (and no, I don’t have a link. I read it in a thread a while back) he had already had a firm grasp on the concepts and what-not. 

Who? Mariota?

Mariota had no clue about the offense, it's very different than anything he had done previously. And the Shanahan offense is like writing left handed for the first 8-12 games for those new to it, according to guys like Orlovsky and Cosell. 

1 minute ago, tgo said:

Who? Mariota?

Mariota had no clue about the offense, it's very different than anything he had done previously. And the Shanahan offense is like writing left handed for the first 8-12 games for those new to it, according to guys like Orlovsky and Cosell. 

I’m saying his more recent comments. He said he had a solid grasp on it or something around week 12, maybe?

edit - Realized the way I worded the original post was poor. My bad. 

Edited by StephenIsLegend

I’m kinda glad he’s gone I hate in the box cordinators especially on offense. I think not having your guy calling plays on the field to go through plays and formations is idiotic. 

https://www.scribd.com/document/31728013/New-England-Patriots-Offense

Here is the Patriots 03 playbook for those interested. @tgo @scine09. It looks like Weis liked getting the QB out on bootlegs, there's also a ton of 5 step drops, a lot of them quick 5 step drops with the ball coming out quickly

16 hours ago, scine09 said:

I'm serious would Mike McCarthy take a coordinator job?  He'd be my #1 target easily.  Perfect system for Mariota.

Too bad we couldn't have just traded Green Bay Lafleur for McCarthy.

It's going to be interesting to see how the head coaching jobs fall into place, because so much is contingent on that. It's hard to even tell who is "available" without more pieces falling into place around the league. 

Just now, freakingeek said:

Too bad we couldn't have just traded Green Bay Lafleur for McCarthy.

Sounds like McCarthy will likely sit out a year if he doesn't get a HC job. 

1 hour ago, oldschool said:

Interesting because its clear McCormick quoted the same conversation. It's been noted Mich state ran a hybrid blocking scheme while Conklin was there which makes this quote all the more puzzling. Maybe he misspoke? Seems clear to me he was referring to the switch from last year to this year.

As for the draft, most analysts agreed Conklin wasnt a LT at the NFL level and would switch to RT. Look at his combine numbers. The idea he doesnt fit a zone scheme makes no sense.

It's not a matter of physical ability, it's a matter of experience and familiarity.  He'd just never done much of it before the 2018 season.

Mark Dantonio made his reputation as a recruiter by assuring kids he was prepping them for the NFL when they came to MSU to play ball.  He recruited O-linemen the same way 'Bama, LSU, Nebraska, Iowa and Wisconsin et al did, by using the Man-Power scheme which was the NFL standard for decades.  The ZBS has been used in the NFL for ages, but was not the standard for most teams/coaches, and certainly not on every play.

Despite a handful of plays which used those hybrid techniques you read about, the MSU program was a heavily Pro Style Power blocking school.

The only reason Dantonio is moving into more Zone Scheme now, is because the NFL has been moving more in that direction for the last decade or so.

Zone concepts may have been around for years, but in some programs were akin to the gadget play.  They often weren't used on every play, or even by the entire line.  They would sometimes only be used on one side.

Vince Lombardi called (what we now know as) Zone techniques a "Do-Dad Block," or "area block" way-way back before most members here were football fans

Here's a short explanation of Zone blocking, why it's so different, and it's origins, with a reference or two on good sources for more info:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/extra-points/2010/zone-blocking-nfl-brief-history