FiveThirtyEight: Kirk Cousins Is Not Better Than Joe Montana. So Let’s Fix Passer Rating (Mariota among biggest losers)

Titans279

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We all know passer rating has been inflated over time. The article is interesting and goes into detail about how they adjusted for this inflation to put everyone on an even playing field. It covers ne

And when you take all that and throw in the injuries...   Let's just say if this were a strong QB draft or a strong FA for QBs, I think Robinson would be giving it some serious thought.

Seems very well done. Tannehill has been my comp for a while now

Just now, OILERMAN said:

I guess 538 has an anti-Mariota agenda!

Not if they are saying he has played just average, which I think most level-headed posters would admit.  Scine is off in left field on this issue, unless you factor in that his throwing arm has been injured all season and he couldn't make some of the throws that LaFleur required.  Of course, Mariota struggled in 2017 also...

What's missing is also the fact that many of these QB's like Bortles get a ton of garbage TDs when neither teams actually believes anything they're doing will impact the result. 

Down 50 pts, Bortles suddenly turns into a HoF QB. 1st qtr, he's the MVP of the opposing team. 

2 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

Mariota has one of the biggest changes in passer rating due to the adjustment, but his adjusted passer rating is still about league average so he's probably right around the middle of the back.

The new rating had him ranked 21st, when you look at whos below him he's among the worst starters

13 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

That's not what it had him at, he was among the lowest

I thought the OP said that it had him in the middle.  I just read the synopsis:

Essentially Mariota's rating is more inflated by the league-wide trends that are improving QB stats than all but Bortles, Winston, and Keenum. The average rating is around 70, so for his career he is slightly below and for last year he was just about average rated.

17 minutes ago, japan said:

Not if they are saying he has played just average, which I think most level-headed posters would admit.  Scine is off in left field on this issue, unless you factor in that his throwing arm has been injured all season and he couldn't make some of the throws that LaFleur required.  Of course, Mariota struggled in 2017 also...

Huh?  What did I say?

5 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

The new rating had him ranked 21st, when you look at whos below him he's among the worst starters

Yeah I see.

At rank 21 he's right at the bottom edge of the middle 1/3 of the 33 QBs on the list. And then his passer rating of 70 is below the average rating of QBs in the list (which is 73).

I think among the worst is kind of misleading though since the 5 guys at the bottom of the list are all below 60 which is much worse than Mariota's rating. He's not really "among the worst" he's the worst of the middle of the pack at this point.