Jonboy

Beddingfield's Roster Review

Soxcat   
On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 1:11 PM, BudAdams said:

I agree that they overdrafted Davis.  They also overdrafted Mariota, Sankey, pretty much everyone from 2013 and 2012, Locker.....

Hindsight is 20-20.  Mariota was definitely the right pick at the time.  Davis has not been a disappointment at all IMO and still looks like the best WR so far of the original 3 that were thought to be the best.  I'm sure if Moss was in this draft they would have taken him instead.  Davis wasn't a bad pick.  If we want to be that nit picky more than half the guys drafted early in the first are picked way too early in every draft.    

1 hour ago, tgo said:

Yikes. 

That's a lot, but we still have to get through 2019 before we have to worry about actually paying it. But that's the rub if JRob isn't 💯behind Conklin. Does he want to box himself into a corner if Conklin isn't the guy? What if we don't pick up the option and Conklin blows up in 2019 and then we have to fight other teams off to pay him more than 13.4M?

Imo, it'd be worth it to go ahead and pick up the 5th year option. If he sucks then so be it, but if he doesn't we get him in that 5th year for cheaper than he would have been. Overall we pay less, even if we have less of a player, and we keep some stability on the line.

Edited by NashvilleNinja

I think we have to extend Kelly this year. It’s going to be a lot of money in tackles, but several games he was one of the best players on offense. I don’t trust Conklin in a spread attack. I know he was hurt, but we saw it the year before when he was left on an island versus speed rushers it wasn’t pretty. 

Going ridiculous for a second, but I would sign Kelly, start Conklin, and shop one of them when tackles start dropping. We need to load up for 2020 when we are drafting a QB in round 1. 

Edited by IsntLifeFunny

tgo   
3 minutes ago, NashvilleNinja said:

That's a lot, but we still have to get through 2019 before we have to worry about actually paying it. But that's the rub if JRob isn't 💯behind Conklin. Does he want to box himself into a corner if Conklin isn't the guy? What if we don't pick up the option and Conklin blows up in 2019 and then we have to fight other teams off to pay him more than 13.4M?

Imo, it'd be worth it to go ahead and pick up the 5th year option. If he sucks then so be it, but if he doesn't we get him in that 5th year for cheaper than he would have been. Overall we pay less, even if we have less of a player, and we keep some stability on the line.

It's a no brainer to pick it up because you can just cut them the following offseason or re-negotiate. 

Unless of course you don't want to keep them long term and the number is outrageous for the given player in case of injury. 

2 minutes ago, tgo said:

It's a no brainer to pick it up because you can just cut them the following offseason or re-negotiate. 

Unless of course you don't want to keep them long term and the number is outrageous for the given player in case of injury. 

It kind of frustrates me that neither he nor Kelly can play guard. Both are too langy and will get eaten by power moves from good DTs. Having Kelly on the bench is a waste of resources. 

Edited by IsntLifeFunny

japan   
1 hour ago, tgo said:

Yikes. 

Told you.  They value Conklin highly.  What he did this season coming back so soon because they told him they needed him probably meant more the FO and staff than his struggles.

Edited by japan

16 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Going ridiculous for a second, but I would sign Kelly, start Conklin, and shop one of them when tackles start dropping. We need to load up for 2020 when we are drafting a QB in round 1. 

The accumulating of draft assets for 2020 is one thing I will be watching for this offseason, if JRob trades back in the draft or trades away a player or two for 2020 picks instead of 2019 picks it will be very telling about how confident they are that Mariota will ever get that long term extension here. 

tgo   
14 minutes ago, japan said:

Told you.  They value Conklin highly.  What he did this season coming back so soon because they told him they needed him probably meant more the FO and staff than his struggles.

What? 

What are you talking about? 

What does his 5th year option number have to do with this? 

They haven’t exercised it and won’t until May. 

Edited by tgo

2 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

The accumulating of draft assets for 2020 is one thing I will be watching for this offseason, if JRob trades back in the draft or trades away a player or two for 2020 picks instead of 2019 picks it will be very telling about how confident they are that Mariota will ever get that long term extension here. 

I was trolling a bit for a while about cutting Marcus, but the point is there’s simply no way he’s even close to deserving a big contract, even if he has a decent 19. That’s why I would sign him now if he’ll take the deal at around 20 a year with team options  similar to the Kaep and Bortles contract. If we aren’t looking to draft his immediate replacement in the draft this year then that’s the move imo

As ive maintained the worse thing to happen for us as a franchise is for Marcus to have a solid year, get a 26 million + contract with a ton of guaranteed money, and then go right back to being injured and inconsistent. If that happens we are missing out on a very deep and talented QB pool in 2020.

These 3k seasons aren’t going to cut it. I think he could be money in the playoffs, but we have to get there first. It’s a tough position, which is why I understand they’re just going to let it play out, but that’s a dangerous move if he blows up and demands a huge contract. Tough to say what to do, but I honestly think letting him just play out the fifth year option is a bad move unless we are picking a QB round one this year. Hopefully I’m wrong. 

2 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Tough to say what to do, but I honestly think letting him just play out the fifth year option is a bad move unless we are picking a QB round one this year. Hopefully I’m wrong. 

That recurring nerve/stinger issue probably rules out any chance of any type of long term deal this offseason.

japan   
17 minutes ago, tgo said:

What? 

What are you talking about? 

What does his 5th year option number have to do with this? 

They haven’t exercised it and won’t until May. 

You were saying they should/would think about trading him in the offseason!!!!