Beddingfield's Roster Review

Jonboy

26 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

Mainly regarding the "more weapons" bit. It's yet another excuse in the very long list of them for Mariota, and in year 4, it just doesn't hold weight for me anymore. It's been proven incorrect by numerous QBs over the years. Great QBs elevate the talent around them. And poor QB play can hamper elite talent. I think he's accurate regarding his leadership and toughness. His criticism of him holding the ball too long at times is also accurate. I disagree slightly on the pocket awareness bit, but that's nitpicking.

Now to be fair, we could absolutely use more weapons across the field regardless of who's playing QB. I don't deny that at all. But he seems to attribute the majority of Mariota's struggles to that and I just don't buy it. He threw 26 TDs and 9 picks in 2016 with Rishard Matthews, Tajae Sharpe, Harry Douglas, Kendall Wright, and Andre Johnson as his WRs.

I just think everyone keeps waiting for this magical moment where the stars align and Mariota gets healthy, the o-line is playing well and healthy, we have an elite, consistent RB, and we have top talent at the WR/TE positions. The sad fact is this rarely ever happens in the NFL. There are always injuries, players not playing well, players busting and not living up to their draft slot or FA pay, etc. The one constant is that really good QB play can mask many of those issues.

I can respect this thought process. I guess because we’ve seen him elevate others before, it still gives me hope. 

I really just want to see him healthy with his assumed mastery of the system. We will see how this season goes. 

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's so obvious which players he wanted and which players he didn't during his time here. I personally think he's way too high on Marcus and he almost completely absolves him of blame for his struggle

Here are a few of my takeaways, but this is definitely one you should read for yourself.    https://www.paulkuharsky.com/news/scout-s-take-the-full-titans-roster-review-you-need  

I think his Mariota assessment was spot on - the adage about the quarterback taking too much blame (and too much credit) is apropos here. I liked Corey Davis coming out and am still glad that they pic

58 minutes ago, oldschool said:

How fucking clueless is Beddingfield? A player's second contract isnt dictated by draft slot. Its dictated by market average and performance.

Isn't he talking about the 5th year option and that Conklin was selected in the top 10, which is calculated differently than those selected outside the top 10?

There's no way it happens but it's tough to ignore how well Kelly played at RT. We were all expecting half decent, journeyman, swing tackle level play from him. Frankly we were hoping for that. Instead he came in & completely locked the right side down & got some good movement in the running game.

He probably didn't have enough snaps to qualify but PFF ranked him 5th at RT & I don't think that's far off at all. The line improved dramatically when he took over for Conklin.

That said I think BB is a bit dismissive of Conklin here. The guy was a rookie all pro. That's all pro,  not the pro bowl. That's earned, it's not a popularity contest. And he had a very good '17, especially the 2nd half.

Edited by Face

What I meant to say above, also, is I don't see the staff moving Conklin to guard. It doesn't sound like a big deal but it kind of is for a few reasons that I won't bother getting into. Kelly had played guard  a bunch before in Philly but I assume tackle is so much more natural to him because of his frame. The guy weighs 321 & looks thin. I think it's pretty obvious our best 5 is Lewan/Spain/Jones & then Kelly & Conklin on the right somehow. 

Conklin also isn't quite what he was touted as coming out, I've rarely seen him destroy somebody in the ground game. He's much more of a long armed, athletic LT type than a mauling RT. If Spain did leave I'd love to put Conklin next to Lewan on the left side. If they play like they should that would be an awesome left side.

2 hours ago, oldschool said:

How fucking clueless is Beddingfield? A player's second contract isnt dictated by draft slot. Its dictated by market average and performance.

I also found the analysis a bit odd as the guy was clearly hurt. I realize some think his rookie year was overrated a bit but even if it was, he was still excellent. And in 2017 he played very well after a slow start. So I would've appreciated him explaining how he came to his opinion on Conklin? Did he find his first 2 years to be overrated? Does he think the injury was overblown a bit & he just didn't play well? I wish he elaborated more. Because just a "guy" is a bit harsh.

I actually agreed with him on some of his assessment of Davis, he can beat man coverage because he's physically gifted, but struggles with the mental part of running precision routes. I disagree about his assessment of his upside since we've seen improvement and he was making a huge jump from a small school to the NFL coupled with missing large portions of both TCs. 

15 hours ago, scine09 said:

I didn't think Stocker was good or important enough for opinions either way.

I don't get it with Davis though.  It's clear he's their biggest playmaker.  Yet he doesn't even mention him as a playmaker for Mariota.  Here's the blurb about his playmakers:

"Mariota is a winner and can be a championship QB, but he needs consistency from the coaching staff and players around him. He also needs playmakers. There are NO true playmakers on this team. Derrick Henry flashed, Taywan Taylor was there on a few deep passes, but no one else makes plays to help out the QB."

The guy is full of shit. To not mention the leading receiver on the team as a playmaker is fucking retarded.

I think too much is being made of Beddingfield's biases. Yes he does criticize more players that J-Rob has acquired than those Webster has acquired but that makes total sense when you consider the following:

1. There are way more "J-Rob guys" on the roster in key roles thus the pool of players to criticize is much larger.

2. The Webster-drafted players that are currently on this roster survived J-Rob coming in and are thus clearly some of the better players and less likely to be criticized.

Also, while Beddingfield was certainly critical of many of J-Rob's players, I noticed that it was mainly the offensive players he criticized and that of those offensive players it was mainly the FA acquisitions rather than the draft picks that he singled out. He had glowing words for Byard and Brown in particular who were late-round diamonds-in-the rough that J-Rob found. Identifying and getting later round picks like Byard and Brown is a major feather in the cap of a former scout like Robinson so if Beddingfield's agenda is to undermine his ability to find talent, this piece doesn't do a great job of that. 

This is all further validated when you consider that the offense is under-performing relative to the defense and that of those offensive sub-units, it was the interior OL and WR groups (that we've all criticized) that were singled out for particular scorn. Where I obviously depart from Beddingfield is his analysis of Davis. He's right that on a target for target basis, CD's production reflects that of a possession guy moreso than a big-play threat but it's pretty clear to me that this is more a result of Mariota's play-style rather than CD's ability. We've all seen CD's big-play ability but if all that's ever thrown to him are comebacks and 12 yard crossing routes then all we'll ever seen is a possession guy.

My comp for Davis has always been Michael Thomas and I bet if those two switched teams, they'd look damn near identical. Davis can do everything Thomas can do and then-some but it's up to Marcus to get that out of him. I'm disappointed that a talent-evaluator like Blake doesn't see that but that doesn't mean he's some sort of idiot. Then again, that's the TR-way "people who don't agree with me can't just see things differently, they must be stupid or somehow incompetent". 

@Mythos27

Speaking for myself, I don't think Beddingfield is incompetent. I just think he's biased about players that were drafted against his recommendation toward the end of his tenure, and he doesn't seem particularly keen to change his original opinion on players as new information manifests itself. 

2 hours ago, Mythos27 said:

I think too much is being made of Beddingfield's biases. Yes he does criticize more players that J-Rob has acquired than those Webster has acquired but that makes total sense when you consider the following:

1. There are way more "J-Rob guys" on the roster in key roles thus the pool of players to criticize is much larger.

2. The Webster-drafted players that are currently on this roster survived J-Rob coming in and are thus clearly some of the better players and less likely to be criticized.

Also, while Beddingfield was certainly critical of many of J-Rob's players, I noticed that it was mainly the offensive players he criticized and that of those offensive players it was mainly the FA acquisitions rather than the draft picks that he singled out. He had glowing words for Byard and Brown in particular who were late-round diamonds-in-the rough that J-Rob found. Identifying and getting later round picks like Byard and Brown is a major feather in the cap of a former scout like Robinson so if Beddingfield's agenda is to undermine his ability to find talent, this piece doesn't do a great job of that. 

This is all further validated when you consider that the offense is under-performing relative to the defense and that of those offensive sub-units, it was the interior OL and WR groups (that we've all criticized) that were singled out for particular scorn. Where I obviously depart from Beddingfield is his analysis of Davis. He's right that on a target for target basis, CD's production reflects that of a possession guy moreso than a big-play threat but it's pretty clear to me that this is more a result of Mariota's play-style rather than CD's ability. We've all seen CD's big-play ability but if all that's ever thrown to him are comebacks and 12 yard crossing routes then all we'll ever seen is a possession guy.

My comp for Davis has always been Michael Thomas and I bet if those two switched teams, they'd look damn near identical. Davis can do everything Thomas can do and then-some but it's up to Marcus to get that out of him. I'm disappointed that a talent-evaluator like Blake doesn't see that but that doesn't mean he's some sort of idiot. Then again, that's the TR-way "people who don't agree with me can't just see things differently, they must be stupid or somehow incompetent". 

I disagree with his comp for Davis, but most everything else was pretty spot on. I just found it funny how clear his bias against Davis was shining through. 

18 minutes ago, StephenIsLegend said:

I disagree with his comp for Davis, but most everything else was pretty spot on. I just found it funny how clear his bias against Davis was shining through. 

Agree. Davis is more comparable to TO and Thomas... Thomas will be in the HOF if he doesn't get injured. Guy has literally had one of the best 3 year span of any WR's in the history of the NFL and these were his 1st 3 years. 

18 hours ago, Soxcat said:

Beddingfield just came out of the woodwork after that LA game with his claim that Davis was a #2.  He's hanging onto any criticism he has in order to make that look legitimate.  It's as simple as that.  He's making his weaknesses sound like permanent issues rather than part of the learning curve of a young WR dealing with a bad QB situation.  According to him, Mariota can turn around his weaknesses after 4 years, but Davis can't , despite making big strides since his rookie year.