Davis, Taylor, and Sharpe All Had More Average Separation per Target than....

TerryBoats

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It’s funny that people keep posting threads as proof that Marcus has to play better.   Everyone already knows he has to play better.  Talk about beating a dead horse.

We know what the problem is

BTW last year Davis was 2.7 while Matthews, Taylor, and Decker were 2.6. This year Taylor is 3.2, Davis is 3.1, and Sharpe is 3.0. Nice improvement.   I think this issue is a little more com

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Justafan said:

@big2033 @abc2330 Regardless of how we disagree here guys, I appreciate your perspective.  I know you know your stuff.  Not trying to be a dick.  Just like debating football, especially with smart fans which you guys are.  

Yeah, yeah all good.

The QB vs. WR debate is always hard.

2 minutes ago, Justafan said:

@big2033 @abc2330 Regardless of how we disagree here guys, I appreciate your perspective.  I know you know your stuff.  Not trying to be a dick.  Just like debating football, especially with smart fans which you guys are.  

I'll take a compliment while you're handing them out!

Yes.  A solid #2 vet WR to replace Rishard Mathews would be a great move imo.  

Perhaps a slot type guy who can get open and fits Mariota skill set even.  

3 minutes ago, heyitsmeallen said:

What is his skill set, exactly?  Not criticizing you, just wanting to know what you're seeing.  I didn't watch much of him in college and haven't seen him at his best.

IMO, he's a great play action QB.  He gets the protection he's comfortable with, the time to process everything, and usually delivers a pristine pass.  It gives me hope that when he gets the experience for things to slow down, this anticipation and accuracy can be applied to the shorter and intermediate throws.  The injuries have really delayed that process. They are brutal for the development of a young player, and that is reflected in his performance and stats 

Just now, abc2330 said:

What is his skill set, exactly?  Not criticizing you, just wanting to know what you're seeing.  I didn't watch much of him in college and haven't seen him at his best.

IMO, he's a great play action QB.  He gets the protection he's comfortable with, the time to process everything, and usually delivers a pristine pass.  It gives me hope that when he gets the experience for things to slow down, this anticipation and accuracy can be applied to the shorter and intermediate throws.  The injuries have really delayed that process. They are brutal for the development of a young player, and that is reflected in his performance and stats 

He's a mobile QB who doesn't create.  He has only average pocket awareness, an average NFL arm, and poor footwork.

He is very good on Play Action, he doesn't make a ton of mistakes, and he has pretty good accuracy if not good enough ball placement.  

He's a rhythm thrower that likes to throw to a spot but he has to see it.  He's not a big-armed guy who just likes to toss it up and let his guy go get it.  He's not a sit in the pocket QB who survey's the field and picks them apart.  

He is a guy that can make plays though.  He's going to attack the middle of the field more than the edges and he does better against Man than he does complicated zone coverages. 

Right now the only WR they have who is decent against the zone is Sharpe.  I think they need to fix that.  He's also a guy who would really benefit from more time in the pocket, which goes back to the play action and upgraded talent on the Oline.  

He's a mobile QB who doesn't create.  He has only average pocket awareness, an average NFL arm, and poor footwork.

He is very good on Play Action, he doesn't make a ton of mistakes, and he has pretty good accuracy if not good enough ball placement.  

He's a rhythm thrower that likes to throw to a spot but he has to see it.  He's not a big-armed guy who just likes to toss it up and let his guy go get it.  He's not a sit in the pocket QB who survey's the field and picks them apart.  

He is a guy that can make plays though.  He's going to attack the middle of the field more than the edges and he does better against Man than he does complicated zone coverages. 

Right now the only WR they have who is decent against the zone is Sharpe.  I think they need to fix that.  He's also a guy who would really benefit from more time in the pocket, which goes back to the play action and upgraded talent on the Oline.  

I'll agree with everything that you said.  The issue is that if the casual fans can see what he consistently struggles with, defensive coaches sure as hell can.  They've been forcing him to do things he's uncomfortable with, which is why he's struggled the past two seasons, not to mention the injuries.  He's just going to have to improve on these weaknesses, regardless of what we do at the other positions.

4 minutes ago, abc2330 said:

I'll agree with everything that you said.  The issue is that if the casual fans can see what he consistently struggles with, defensive coaches sure as hell can.  They've been forcing him to do things he's uncomfortable with, which is why he's struggled the past two seasons, not to mention the injuries.  He's just going to have to improve on these weaknesses, regardless of what we do at the other positions.

Like I said, I have no issue with criticizing Mariota and saying he needs to play better.  100% agree.  I just don't agree with the premise that a) it's 100% on him or b) you don't try and get him weapons because he hasn't played well enough this year to elevate the players around him.

He has elevated players around him at times, just not consistently.  Perhaps a second year in the same system and some extra protection will help him stay healthy long enough that he can be a better QB.  

We can argue all day long about how you accomplish that but this offense was ranked very bad last season.  Some of that is the Oline and bad blocking, some on the running game early, some on the Offensive Coordinator, some on the head coach, some on drops/inconsistency from WRs and TEs, some on injuries, some on the QB, some on play calling/play design.  

ALL of those things need to get better.

1 hour ago, abc2330 said:

And Eric Ebron went from being a bust into an All- Pro...

Great QBs make their receivers look better.  It's been proven time and time again.

Outliers. If you’ve been watching the games this season, they have not been good. Yeah, Mariota is definitely to blame for some of their woes, but it’s asinine to think it’s all on him. They’ve let him down plenty. 

16 minutes ago, Justafan said:

Like I said, I have no issue with criticizing Mariota and saying he needs to play better.  100% agree.  I just don't agree with the premise that a) it's 100% on him or b) you don't try and get him weapons because he hasn't played well enough this year to elevate the players around him.

He has elevated players around him at times, just not consistently.  Perhaps a second year in the same system and some extra protection will help him stay healthy long enough that he can be a better QB.  

We can argue all day long about how you accomplish that but this offense was ranked very bad last season.  Some of that is the Oline and bad blocking, some on the running game early, some on the Offensive Coordinator, some on the head coach, some on drops/inconsistency from WRs and TEs, some on injuries, some on the QB, some on play calling/play design.  

ALL of those things need to get better.

It's definitely not putting 100% of the blame on him .  But the QB just has much more of a hand in the success of his offense.  There will be a fairly low ceiling to our passing game no matter the help that he has if he doesn't improve.  His production is very disappointing no matter what his supporting cast is , and I question how good it could actually be.

Edited by abc2330