• Quarterback
    • Offensive Tackles
    • Outside Linebackers
    • Inside Linebackers
    • Corner Backs
    • Safeties
    • Running Backs

3 hours ago, tgo said:

Right. Which is massively stupid given the body of evidence. 

You couldn't necessarily anticipate him quitting - but it was ludicrous to have him on the team knowing what they knew. And relying on him as heavily as they were. 

What was the part where he threatened to quit before actually quitting? I never heard of that one. 

12 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

That's an excellent point I hadn't even thought of. It certainly could explain why despite better blocking his production didn't spike as much as Henry's. I've been really wondering about this.

People (fans) think blocking is just blocking, but it's not.  There's a lot of scheming and science that goes into who does what and why, and how the whole thing has to fit together.

Someone once likened ZBS to synchronized swimming, and that's not a bad analogy.  Runners that do well behind ZBS need to have more patience at times, and then be more decisive and explosive when the timing is right.  Just learning to press the LOS is counter to what a RB is taught behind a Man/Power Scheme.

In a Man Scheme the hole is almost always predetermined to be in one, or one of two places along the line, so they know where they're going before the snap. 

Pressing the LOS isn't required or desired.

tgo   
2 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

What was the part where he threatened to quit before actually quitting? I never heard of that one. 

I think it was initially McCormick that reported that it wasn't the first time that Rishard Matthews had requested to be released. 

Just now, tgo said:

I think it was initially McCormick that reported that it wasn't the first time that Rishard Matthews had requested to be released. 

What a strange season. If true then easily WR. 

Number9   
4 hours ago, BudAdams said:

QB.  They made the coaching changes largely to get Mariota back on track after his production regressed in 2017.  Mariota proceeded to be injured once again, be up and down with his play (even before the injury), and the offense was actually worse points wise than the prior year. 

QB is the most important position on the team.  I think he needed to have a backup who could come in and they had enough faith in to think he could win games.  The very first game Mariota can't start, we come out running the Wildcat.

I can't blame JRob for the WRs until I see them with better QB play.

I can't blame JRob for Conklin getting hurt

I can't blame JRob for the OL getting their sea legs in a new blocking scheme.

I can blame JRob for thinking Blaine Gabbert as QB2 is a good idea.

I can blame JRob for allowing OLB to get thin and the D-line to still be a 1.5 man show.

Overall, I give JRob a solid B-minus. I think some of us need some perspective on how much better we are from a F.O. standpoint. Yes, we've had some busts (Dodd, etc), but we've also had some pleasant surprises or at the very least productivity from later round picks (Jayon Brown, Jonuu Smith, Sims, etc).

Repeat after me: Quarterback. Is. King. If QB play were what it SHOULD have been this year, this is a 12-4 type team. JRob has to get the QB spot right.

1. QB/QB Depth

2. QB/QB Depth

3. QB/QB Depth

4. QB/QB Depth

5. QB/QB Depth

6. QB/QB Depth

7. Pass Rush DE/OLB

8. QB/QB Depth

9. Interior OL

10. QB/QB Depth

11-20. QB/QB Depth

4 hours ago, abc2330 said:

Yeah, but we did only allow the 5th fewest QB hits.  Our sack total should have been nowhere close to where it was.  Wilson and Watson have had to deal with that a lot more often than Mariota has.  I'm sure that the people who drafted him envisioned that his mobility would make for a lot of off-script and extended plays, but the opposite has been true.

He dropped back far fewer times than anyone in the league. Percentage wise he had the most hits.

tgo   
3 minutes ago, WG53 said:

DL.

Outside of Casey they are all jags.  And none are pass rushers.

The defensive scheme we're currently running doesn't require pass rushers at NT and 5 technique. 

cenj   

WR.

The OL had major injuries and Conklin never was right. JRob actually had a starter quality backup ready who outplayed Conklin all year. The scheme change also clearly had a huge negative impact. I'm not sure JRob is the culprit here considering what Henry did after the bye.

But WR...he knew Matthews wasn't gonna be here very long, yet had no backup plan. TTaylor was horrible in year 1 and yet they counted on him way too much to be the #2 and deep threat. And thank the gods C. Davis actually looked the part, because even he was a 2nd year player coming off an injury that could have delayed his development. We then had Sharpe (solid #4) and a slew of special teamers that are all fine #5 WRs, yet we made them 2s and 3s after injuries.

Considering you already had the OC and scheme change, and were still unsure about the QB position, JRob massively screwed up by not getting better depth. People screamed all offseason for him to go after a veteran like Golden Tate.

cenj   

In a larger sense though, I think JRob (and seemingly most of our GMs since Floyd) have neglected the DL (and EDGE players).

WG53   
18 minutes ago, tgo said:

The defensive scheme we're currently running doesn't require pass rushers at NT and 5 technique. 

Every scheme needs pass rushers. Gtfo with that nonsense.

3 minutes ago, WG53 said:

Every scheme needs pass rushers. Gtfo with that nonsense.

Not many nose tackles and 5 tech that can rush the passer unfortunetly. Its pretty rare. 

WG53   
6 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Not many nose tackles and 5 tech that can rush the passer unfortunetly. Its pretty rare. 

We ran a 4 man line often. Idgaf about a base defense we rarely run in passing situations.