• Quarterback
    • Offensive Tackles
    • Outside Linebackers
    • Inside Linebackers
    • Corner Backs
    • Safeties
    • Running Backs

1 minute ago, headhunter said:

By far WR. OL was at least average last year and really wasnt a big concern like it was this year. Talent wise WR.

Especially since he knew Matthews was an issue 

BudAdams   

QB.  They made the coaching changes largely to get Mariota back on track after his production regressed in 2017.  Mariota proceeded to be injured once again, be up and down with his play (even before the injury), and the offense was actually worse points wise than the prior year. 

Edited by BudAdams

tgo   

Wide Receivers. 

I would say interior OL but he had a stable of proven veteran players that have been together for a few years at that spot. Brought in other veterans to compete and solidified the depth tremendously with the additions of Pamphile, Marz, Stinnie, etc. 

The receivers you had a bunch of unproven draft picks, some practice squad guys, and a middling, injured, disgruntled veteran problem child who had threatened to quit the team multiple times and the previous coach demanded he was gone. This all at very best wishful thinking and at worst total malpractice. I guess his thinking was that the guys needed the reps to actually develop, but this philosophy flies in the face of "win-now mode." 

Another issue is that Robinson was probably looking around wondering how many guys can the ball actually be distributed to. Already had Walker, Davis, Matthews, Lewis needing touches. 

Robinson handled all the other position groups very well. Solid A's and B's. But WRs - D Minus. 

Edited by tgo

nine   

I'd split it evenly between WR, OLB, and interior OL.

I'm sure JR  knew Matthews was high-maintenance and a bit of a malcontent....but I doubt anyone anticipated that he'd take his ball and go home shortly after the season started.    And they definitely didn't suspect it in March/April during free agency and the draft.

I'm sure JR drafted Landry with the expectation of replacing either Orakpo or Morgan in 2019.  I doubt he anticipated that both guys would suddenly become old and invisible in 2018.    (Fortunately, Finch ended up exceeding expectations and helped negate the declining production from Rak and Morgan.)

Interior OL speaks for itself.   But in fairness to those guys, that group suddenly got a LOT better toward the end of the season with the same five guys.   To me, this suggests the issue wasn't so much about shortcomings in personnel;  when an entire group gets better (or worse) all at the same time, that tells me the coaching staff made some sort of adjustment or change in their approach. 

I think the biggest thing JRob failed to anticipate was the rash of injuries throughout the roster....which obviously isn't something that anyone can anticipate.   

BudAdams   

I don't think they anticipated Matthews quitting.

OLB is a spot where they were and still are thin.

The OL struggles to me were tied to going from a power scheme to a zone read system.  Plus Conklin was never healthy

Huston   

Gonna say wr, I think if Pamphile hadn't gotten hurt he would have joined the guard rotation and helped settle them down earlier in the season. There was just nothing on the bench after Mathews was let go.

Soxcat   
8 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

OLB is a spot where they were and still are thin.

The OL struggles to me were tied to going from a power scheme to a zone read system.  Plus Conklin was never healthy

How could anyone say we "were" thin at OLB?  We had two vet starters, drafted Landry, traded for Correa and signed Finch as an UDFA  (also had Aaron Wallace).  Our 1st round pick can also play OLB if needed and did last season some.  So going into the season we had 2 proven starters and a draft pick they expected to become a starter soon.  Depth is always an issue for any team if you want to see talent 4 or 5 levels down. 

Obviously the OL was the biggest issue.

tgo   
14 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

Right. Which is massively stupid given the body of evidence. 

You couldn't necessarily anticipate him quitting - but it was ludicrous to have him on the team knowing what they knew. And relying on him as heavily as they were. 

Edited by tgo

13 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

I think this was his biggest miss.  I think he should have known better who was going to make the switch from power to zone easily and who was going to struggle.

Too many of the other positions were affected by injuries and no one can predict that. 

Matthews walking out had to be a shocker too.

Being thin at WR proven talent, really only 4 WRs with NFL experience and only 1 (Matthews) with more than 1 year on the field experience in the NFL is one thing. Knowing Matthews is a malcontent and had made noises well before going into the season just tips the scales towards borderline reckless, IMHO.

Edited by Tex in a Can

ap24786   
4 minutes ago, abc2330 said:

Any WR group will look like crap if the top 2 receiving threats are gone and there is an injured, unproductive QB.

And the OL being garbage for the first 2/3 of the season along with the running game. But these things are all circular. If you have bad receivers teams will load up the box. If you have poor OL and running game play, receivers will be inhibited. If I had to pick I put most of the blame on the OL though. There were times they were getting beat by 3 man blitzes. Just sad. 

Soxcat   
4 minutes ago, tgo said:

Right. Which is massively stupid given the body of evidence. 

You couldn't necessarily anticipate him quitting - but it was ludicrous to have him on the team knowing what they knew. And relying on him as heavily as they were. 

Yea in hindsight it was ludicrous but JRob extended him.  JRob paid him to be on the team past last season.  JRob paid him $7 mil for 2018 and he was scheduled for another $4.5 mil in 2019.  So what did the team know?